Etiquette Question: Travel Bug

Twitch Hugs Trees

Alright, I'm still fairly new. I have a little ladybug cachekinz thing that I released at an event. It was picked up by one person, who held it for about a month. I contacted them and they said they had fallen ill, and would release it. I was okay with that.

Then, someone else took possession of it (not quite sure how that works but okay). I contacted them as well, because it hadn't moved in several weeks and they too said they were ill and would be moving it soon.

That was a couple of months ago, and they still haven't moved it. I decided to mark it "missing", but I am still a little leery. Would it be wrong to send them another message asking if they still have it (and if so, could I have it back)? I do feel a little attached to the thing, and would like to see it travel.

Not sure the etiquette of Travel bugs, hope someone here can help. Thanks for reading.

TL;DR version:

My travel bug hasn't moved in a long time. Previous correspondence with possessor said they were ill, but that was months ago and it hasn't moved. Marked bug as "missing." Is it rude to message the person again?

It's been long enough that you can send them another polite note. Offer to find someone locally to take hand off (we can help with that if needed) or offer to pay for postage to have them mail it to you.

If you don't get a response forget about it for a few more months.

Edited by BlueDeuce

I have a question along these same lines.

I am new too. Right now I live in Okinawa, Japan. But at the end of the summer I am moving to Lakenheath, England. I plan on going through the states on my way there.

I have a few Travel Bugs that I found and would like to take with me to both places so they can get more mileage. Is it acceptable to hang on to them until then? Or should I place them here somewhere else and then try to grab them right before I leave?

Should I contact the original owner of the Bug and see if that's acceptable?

Thanks!

I am new too. Right now I live in Okinawa, Japan. But at the end of the summer I am moving to Lakenheath, England. I plan on going through the states on my way there.

I have a few Travel Bugs that I found and would like to take with me to both places so they can get more mileage. Is it acceptable to hang on to them until then? Or should I place them here somewhere else and then try to grab them right before I leave?

Thanks!

The end of the summer is a very long time away.

The recommendation from Groundspeak is that cachers should try to move a trackable along in a couple of weeks. For many people who don't go caching that regularly it may be more realistic to expect a move within 4 weeks. I personally don't start to get worried unless there's been no movement from my trackable for a couple of months...

My own feeling would be that it's too early for you to be holding on to the trackables that you'd like to take with you when you leave Japan but it's a good idea to ask the owners what they feel about it as they may be happy for their trackables to be in the "waiting room" for many months.

Best wishes with your travels and I hope you'll enjoy your future posting to U.K.

MrsB :laughing:

Thanks!

The end of the summer is a very long time away.

The recommendation from Groundspeak is that cachers should try to move a trackable along in a couple of weeks. For many people who don't go caching that regularly it may be more realistic to expect a move within 4 weeks. I personally don't start to get worried unless there's been no movement from my trackable for a couple of months...

My own feeling would be that it's too early for you to be holding on to the trackables that you'd like to take with you when you leave Japan but it's a good idea to ask the owners what they feel about it as they may be happy for their trackables to be in the "waiting room" for many months.

Best wishes with your travels and I hope you'll enjoy your future posting to U.K.

MrsB :laughing:

I agree completely with MrsB. I once was planning a trip to Canada and had some coins. I emailed the owners and asked if they wanted me to hold them and take them. One did not want it held that long, two did. So contact the owners and comply with their wishes.

To the OP: I don't think theres anything wrong with sending them another e-mail to try and track down your trackable. It's more "wrong" for them to hold on to your proprty for that long against your wishes. Either way though, I find that trackables are very hit or miss. If you are attatched to it, I wouldn't put it out because chances are high that it will disappear or get held on to for long amounts of time like this. I once heard someone in the forums say: "Put your TB out there and then forget it." Every once in a while (4 times a year) check up on it and see whats happening, but trying to get your tb moving and being logged rapidly by e-mailing people is gunna be frustrating. Just let them go, then sit back and see what happens.

To Brooks Family of 3: I would e-mail the owner and see if they are okay with their TB sitting for a few months before moving again. I would ask you to just place it somewhere rather than hold on to it that long. When I'm planning a trip, I won't hold TB's for months before travelling, but about a month before travelling I'll start hoarding TB's that want to go the way I'm going and place them when I get there. Point being, I'd move the TB's you have now, and then grab some new ones within a month of going on your trip.

Alright, I'm still fairly new. I have a little ladybug cachekinz thing that I released at an event. It was picked up by one person, who held it for about a month. I contacted them and they said they had fallen ill, and would release it. I was okay with that.

Then, someone else took possession of it (not quite sure how that works but okay). I contacted them as well, because it hadn't moved in several weeks and they too said they were ill and would be moving it soon.

That was a couple of months ago, and they still haven't moved it. I decided to mark it "missing", but I am still a little leery. Would it be wrong to send them another message asking if they still have it (and if so, could I have it back)? I do feel a little attached to the thing, and would like to see it travel.

Not sure the etiquette of Travel bugs, hope someone here can help. Thanks for reading.

TL;DR version:

My travel bug hasn't moved in a long time. Previous correspondence with possessor said they were ill, but that was months ago and it hasn't moved. Marked bug as "missing." Is it rude to message the person again?

I personally think it's thrilling to find a TB or GC. These things are not too cheap! My view is to keep the interest of the game (I'm a purist), I move these special swag items to other caches that are reliable and frequented often by people on their own travels. Mind you, I am not prone to move a GC or a TB from one part of a National Forest to another. Special items deserve special consideration.

Having said that, it's also important to notify the owner of the trackable if you are waiting to move it. For example, I found a TB and a GC last week but want to REALLY move it so I notified the owner and told them of my intention on waiting 3 weeks to move it out of state.

Geocaching is fun but I believe there should be a sense of etiquette as well.

Thanks for your post!

Cheers!