Dipping for miles

Team Biker Cache

Just wanting to get a little feedback on dipping coins and TBs for mileage. I have mixed thoughts about it. If there is another thread I could read please fill me in. I wanted to get some thoughts about it.

I guess my thought was that they should be left where they are 'dipped' so that someone else can get the fun of finding them and then moving them on.

As far as my trackables I would prefer they were left in caches so someone new can enjoy them.

Just sayin'

Mrs. Biker Cache

Dipping means that the bug had only temporarily visited the cache - it was Dropped and Retrieved on line.

It is possible that the cache was too small to leave the bug behind but the cacher wanted to give it credit for the visit. So don't be too upset about the occasional dip. At least you are getting word your bug is alive and moving.

If someone is holding your bug and continually dipping it without releasing you can shoot them a polite email asking that they drop it off.

Edited by BlueDeuce

As stated above, I carry TBs with me on my travels around the United States. Many time I have time to find only one or two caches, but neither may be large enough to hold the TB that I have.

To be fair to the TB, and its owner, I log that I placed it and then picked it back up. After all, the TB did make the fair mileage trip with me, but was unable to stay at that particular location.

Now as for someone that keep dipping the same TB (not their own) but not actually placing it somewhere, as stated above, a polite email is usually all it takes to get it dropped into a cache somewhere.

TBs and geocoins are one of my favorite reasons for geocaching. They almost always have a unique story to go along with them, and I love to be a part of contributing to that story.

Enjoy,

DonB!

Huh.

I have one TB who is actually out in the world. Recently, someone picked up my bug in WA, and then dipped it all the way home to Idaho where he dropped it off.

I thought it was cool as hell! That way, I can see where it went for it's trip, and get actual mileage instead of as the crow flies mileage.

So that's what I try to do with my TBs/GCs that I find. I will take them from one place, and then dip them until they reach their final location.

Few reasons for this.

One, I actually take pics of the trackables. So I keep them a few days before I set them free.

Two, I live far away from caches. So I can't just 'go out' and replace trackables easily. I've exhausted all the caches at my home GZ and now each caching trip requires around a 40-60 mile rount trip. So I go out and cache, and drop off all my trackables, and pick up new trackables until I can cache again.

Three. I can't log trackables, or upload pics until I get home since I use an iPhone.

Four, we have an epidemic of nanos who can't accept trackables.

In addition, I log my own personal TB who hangs out on my cache bag with me at all caches I attend.

So I will log that TB even when it's a nano. Some people have given me some static about it...but the bug comes with me, touchs the cache, and comes home with me. Then I can check out our travels on google earth.

Two, I live far away from caches. So I can't just 'go out' and replace trackables easily. I've exhausted all the caches at my home GZ and now each caching trip requires around a 40-60 mile rount trip. So I go out and cache, and drop off all my trackables, and pick up new trackables until I can cache again.

You know you can revisit a cache to retrieve/place a bug. Perhaps drop them locally for others to find, and then get them back if they are still sitting there on your next trip out?

But why? At most I'm keeping TBs one week. I think people can wait a week for movement...

But my real point is... I'm finding the trackables in another city, bring them home, and I drop them off when I cache again. So when I'm dropping them off i'm back in the city...

Okay, I wasn't sure how long you were holding them. Nevermind! <_<

Photos are one of the reasons I may dip a traveler. A recent example (TB2VV0A) had just arrived in California, and I wanted to drop it nearby where other local cachers could have a chance to see and move it. In between, I was taking it to Nevada for the weekend. To pick up and drop the coin in Orange County, but post photos of it in Nevada would have been very odd, I think! So I dipped it a few times; but I try not to be excessive about dipping. Sometimes I get excessive with the photos, but figure those average out for travelers on the lean side anyway. <_<

The usual reason I dip one is that I am somewhere far away from home when I find it, then I go home and keep it for awhile - I dip it at a cache near my house. Then I drop it off somewhere else. The dip near my house is just another waypoint on the big map... I figure the owner can delete the entry if they want. But another example is that I found a bug in Pennsylvania that wanted to stay in PA, and I brought it to Ohio. So I dipped it in Ohio to show it had been there, before I brought it back to PA again.

You guys have opened my eyes. I guess I was only going at it from one side. Now you got me thinkin' bout ideas you have given me.....Thanks for all the input and more than that THANK YOU ALL for being civil to one another. I was very reluctant about asking this question. I didn't want to stir a pot. I am proud to be your fellow cacher.....be lookin for you on the trail. Yes sir I'll be there sneakin around where you least expect!!

As we have also hit all the caches in our area and have began to branch out to far away places....what a trip!!

God bless!!

Mrs. Bikercache

.....be lookin for you on the trail. Yes sir I'll be there sneakin around where you least expect!!

As we have also hit all the caches in our area and have began to branch out to far away places....what a trip!!

God bless!!

Mrs. Bikercache

I'm taking off work this Monday to go caching. Wave if you see me! :rolleyes:

Now if I could just get caught up at work and have some terrific weather I might just dip myself in a few caches!!

You can actualy get trackable t-shirts (I suppose it is just a t-shirt with a travel bug's tracking number). Then you can literaly dip yourself in the cache!

Edited by Andronicus