Forum Cleanup

t4e

ok, i've been around this forums for a while now and i would like to suggest a couple of things

1. Please, can the MODs delete double posts

or improve the way the forum loads, its been ridiculously slow lately

or let the users delete their own posts

here's one annoying example of a triple post, where also the humongous original post has been quoted too

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...42980&st=45

those are due to the forums being extremely sluggish and timing out, so those not aware of the repercussions of their actions keep hitting "submit" while the darn page takes its sweet time to load only to come up with a "fatal error"

i am member of other communities and it takes a real effort to make a double post, and also haven't seen any place that does not allow the user to delete their own posts

2. why not merge threads with same subject and leave a redirect behind, instead of closing such threads?

a redirect will take the OP to the proper thread and his/her post will not be lost

there is an extremely large amount of "garbage" data that all it does it takes space

thank you

Edited by t4e

1. Double posts are annoying, indeed. Many mods delete them when we see them. Bear in mind that we don't read every thread, so we don't catch them all.

2. We took away the ability to delete posts due to mischief makers who would post something inappropriate and then delete it after stirring up a hornet's nest. For similar reasons, posts can only be edited for 24 hours. There are many examples where a shorter edit window would have been helpful, but the 24 hour period strikes a good balance, I think.

3. The forum software isn't well equipped to both merge a post into a new thread AND leave a redirect behind. If the post is merged then the user who made that thread will be confused, wondering where their post went.

1. Double posts are annoying, indeed. Many mods delete them when we see them. Bear in mind that we don't read every thread, so we don't catch them all.

2. We took away the ability to delete posts due to mischief makers who would post something inappropriate and then delete it after stirring up a hornet's nest. For similar reasons, posts can only be edited for 24 hours. There are many examples where a shorter edit window would have been helpful, but the 24 hour period strikes a good balance, I think.

3. The forum software isn't well equipped to both merge a post into a new thread AND leave a redirect behind. If the post is merged then the user who made that thread will be confused, wondering where their post went.

I occasionally have reported duplicate threads. Is this something that the mods appreciate, or do they just find it annoying?

thanks for the reply :(

i agree with the short edit time, though as far as i'm concerned 24 is too long, all places i am in have a 2 hour edit/delete time for the same reason you have mentioned, the mischief makers, which even though can't delete the post can still edited and remove the original content in 24 hours

as for removing double posts, as of now the link i provided still has all 3 almost occupying a one page, you have to understand that i may put in a claim to Groundspeak (intentionally typed un-capitalized to see what happens) for a new mouse if my scroll wheel fails, or worse if i get carpal tunnel syndrome from too much scrolling :D

Edited by t4e

how about fixing the forum software and/or the server up so it doesn't occasionally throw timeouts when posting, which is causing all the double posts in the first place?

how about fixing the forum software and/or the server up so it doesn't occasionally throw timeouts when posting, which is causing all the double posts in the first place?

It has been promised. Hold your breath, if you'd like.

It has been promised. Hold your breath, if you'd like.

i think i'd have turned blue and purple by now, if i did :D

mtn-man and I have discussed how we could fix the forum software. Bear in mind that we are just volunteers with no access to the servers and software.

We have decided to fix the software by turning it off every weekend so we can go caching. I hope that others find this solution equally acceptable.

mtn-man and I have discussed how we could fix the forum software. Bear in mind that we are just volunteers with no access to the servers and software.

We have decided to fix the software by turning it off every weekend so we can go caching. I hope that others find this solution equally acceptable.

:D Huh?!? The forums are open on the weekends? Oh, man... what have I missed!!! My found count is embarrassingly large... if only I had known, I still might be in the high three digits!

You got it wrong. You turn it off during the week when most working folk don't cache. Then on the weekend when most working folks are out caching they don't post. For a professional layout like me it is the ideal solution.

if that's the case than you two must have been on vacation the last couple of weeks :D

/me takes a deep breath and attempts to break the Guinness book record

Edited by t4e