Please stop auto editing my posts!

Avernar

6. License to Use Submissions

All comments, articles, tutorials, screenshots, pictures, graphics, tools, downloads, and all other materials submitted to Groundspeak in connection with the Site or available through the Site (collectively, "Submissions") remain the property and copyright of the original author. If You submit Submissions to Groundspeak, You must adhere to any applicable submission guidelines that may be posted from time to time on the Site. By submitting any Submission to Groundspeak, You grant Groundspeak a worldwide, non-exclusive, transferable, perpetual, irrevocable, fully-paid royalty-free license and right to use, reproduce, distribute, import, broadcast, transmit, modify and create derivative works of, license, offer to sell, and sell, rent, lease or lend copies of, publicly display and publicly perform that Submission for any purpose and without restriction or obligation to You.

I've covered this already:

11. Any messages you post in these discussion forums will remain available to the public for as long as this discussion board is online. Once you have posted your message, it will stay online. Please post carefully and with due consideration to the content of your post. We will not edit the content you wrote unless it does not conform to the forum guidelines. In the unlikely even that we do edit your post and you do not like the changes, we can delete the message at your request.

They have every right to modify my posts. The said they wouldn't if I behaved. They did anyway.

They have every right to modify my posts. The said they wouldn't if I behaved. They did anyway.

You didn't behave. You misspelled their name.

No I didn't. I wasn't referring to the company name but to the schema namespace in the GPX file. Groundspeak chose not to capitalize groundspeak when they created their geocache schema.

Besides, misspelling their name is not against the guidelines.... yet :wub:

ok a few more suggestions then for those code blocks...

1) rot13: tebhaqfcrnx

2) base64: Z3JvdW5kc3BlYWs=

3) hex: 6772 6f75 6e64 7370 6561 6b

c'mon, it's so easy to get around that word filter :grin::wub:

Though of that. With my luck the encoded text would have groundspeak in it! :grin:

c'mon, it's so easy to get around that word filter :grin::wub:

c'mon, try to rot13 your GPX file and see how well that works.

<?kzy irefvba="1.0" rapbqvat="hgs-8"?>
<tck kzyaf:kfv="uggc://jjj.j3.bet/2001/KZYFpurzn-vafgnapr" kzyaf:kfq="uggc://jjj.j3.bet/2001/KZYFpurzn" irefvba="1.0" perngbe="Tebhaqfcrnx Cbpxrg Dhrel" kfv:fpurznYbpngvba="uggc://jjj.gbcbtensvk.pbz/TCK/1/0 uggc://jjj.gbcbtensvk.pbz/TCK/1/0/tck.kfq uggc://jjj.tebhaqfcrnx.pbz/pnpur/1/0/1 uggc://jjj.tebhaqfcrnx.pbz/pnpur/1/0/1/pnpur.kfq" kzyaf="uggc://jjj.gbcbtensvk.pbz/TCK/1/0">
 <anzr>Zl Svaqf Cbpxrg Dhrel</anzr>
 <qrfp>Trbpnpur svyr trarengrq ol Tebhaqfcrnx</qrfp>

etc etc. where's the problem? :grin:

Edited by dfx
c'mon, it's so easy to get around that word filter :P:anibad:

c'mon, try to rot13 your GPX file and see how well that works.

<?kzy irefvba="1.0" rapbqvat="hgs-8"?>
<tck kzyaf:kfv="uggc://jjj.j3.bet/2001/KZYFpurzn-vafgnapr" kzyaf:kfq="uggc://jjj.j3.bet/2001/KZYFpurzn" irefvba="1.0" perngbe="Tebhaqfcrnx Cbpxrg Dhrel" kfv:fpurznYbpngvba="uggc://jjj.gbcbtensvk.pbz/TCK/1/0 uggc://jjj.gbcbtensvk.pbz/TCK/1/0/tck.kfq uggc://jjj.tebhaqfcrnx.pbz/pnpur/1/0/1 uggc://jjj.tebhaqfcrnx.pbz/pnpur/1/0/1/pnpur.kfq" kzyaf="uggc://jjj.gbcbtensvk.pbz/TCK/1/0">
 <anzr>Zl Svaqf Cbpxrg Dhrel</anzr>
 <qrfp>Trbpnpur svyr trarengrq ol Tebhaqfcrnx</qrfp>

etc etc. where's the problem? :smile:

I loaded that into my Oregon and it tells me the cache is somewhere in the Indian Ocean :lol:

Out of interest, has this actually caused a problem, or is this hypothetical?

Hasn't messed me up in a script, and now that I know about it it won't mess me up in the future. This also includes the html escape sequences that don't appear literally in a code block, which I learned in this thread. I can see both easily happening in a greasemonkey script.

Edited by Avernar

Unless grease monkey is placing code in the edit window, submitting the post, and then reading it back from the HTML. I don't see it being a problem. If they change the case on the underlying tags, which they have done on the cache listing and some other pages, that messes things up.

Unless grease monkey is placing code in the edit window, submitting the post, and then reading it back from the HTML. I don't see it being a problem. If they change the case on the underlying tags, which they have done on the cache listing and some other pages, that messes things up.

Sometimes I share code / macros / script by pasting it into a code block within my post. It could be a code fragment to paste into your existing scripts. Having it auto-capitalize without me realizing it could cause unexpected problems. Having said that, no, it has not happened to me before.

So we are back to the OP found an undocumented feature and was / is not happy.

Official request.

Goundspeak, can you please document this with massively large letter at the top of every post so users are aware their content may be changed. Better yet, make it so as they are typing, make the words that will change blink back and forth between what they typed and what it will become. Can we add some fancy sound to that as well along with a loud voice calling out "Warning, waring"?

I bet they get on that right away. Not like they have anything better to do.

Just in case you didn't notice, i am being sarcastic. Except for the loud voice. I think that should stay so people will think about what they have just typed before hitting the submit submit button sometimes.

Just in case you didn't notice, i am being sarcastic. Except for the loud voice. I think that should stay so people will think about what they have just typed before hitting the submit submit button sometimes.

Why the sarcasm? You don't feel that the OP has a valid point?

I felt that this thread serves two purpose : to highlight the issue, and to point out that stuff within the code block should not be touched by certain filters. Sure, it may not be fixed by Groundspeak, for one reason or another, but that's not for us to worry about, is it? We've also learned how to get past the filter.

Why the sarcasm? You don't feel that the OP has a valid point?

I felt that this thread serves two purpose : to highlight the issue, and to point out that stuff within the code block should not be touched by certain filters. Sure, it may not be fixed by Groundspeak, for one reason or another, but that's not for us to worry about, is it? We've also learned how to get past the filter.

I am working on the premise of asking for something outrageous and settling for what I really want. Standard negotiating tactic. I wonder if I can make a grease monkey script to do it.

I wonder if I can make a grease monkey script to do it.

That's actually a very good idea. A grease monkey script to fix the stuff in a code block when you press submit. It will use the tricks we learned in here so the text won't get mangled by the forum software. That's for both the auto capitalization and to keep certain HTML sequences from being altered by the browser on display.

I still wonder whether Groundspeak can even fix this issue, given the fact (see my previous post in this thread) that it's most likely a limitation of the third-party forum software. If it's a limitation of the software, and Groundspeak has announced that they're implementing different forum software down the line, I seriously doubt whether this will be a priority item for them.

--Larry

I still wonder whether Groundspeak can even fix this issue, given the fact (see my previous post in this thread) that it's most likely a limitation of the third-party forum software. If it's a limitation of the software, and Groundspeak has announced that they're implementing different forum software down the line, I seriously doubt whether this will be a priority item for them.

--Larry

they can always edit the source code for the forum software if they wanted to. changing such a small thing can't be much a big problem. (i'm willing to bet that there's ready patches for this kinda thing out there already.)

of course that doesn't change the fact that it's still probably not a priority for them.

With regards to XML, HTML & XHTML, as mention by someone earlier in this discussion, here is the story about CAPITAL LETTERS, according www.w3.org:

According to this link:

http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#h-4.2

XHTML documents must use lower case for all HTML element and attribute names. This difference is necessary because XML is case-sensitive e.g. <li> and <LI> are different tags

According to this link:

http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_elements.asp

HTML Tip: Use Lowercase Tags

HTML tags are not case sensitive: <P> means the same as <p>. Plenty of web sites use uppercase HTML tags in their pages.

W3Schools use lowercase tags because the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) recommends lowercase in HTML 4, and demands lowercase tags in future versions of (X)HTML.

So, why do so many people insist on writing their code with CAPITAL LETTERS? Probably has something to do with a lack of education or those who use a program such as "Backpage" (a cheater program in my book) to write code for them. So what do I use, you ask? I write it from scratch, to include templates of my own design!