Please stop auto editing my posts!

Avernar

Can the forum software please stop capitalizing Groundspeak for me? Very annoying why talking about the GPX file as it capitalizes the G in Groundspeak:cache and so on.

What's more annoying is that it also does it in [ code ] blocks:

Groundspeak

It is the proper name of the company - therefore should be Capitailized - why does it bug you so much??

Because I'm an adult and can do it myself in the 99% of cases it's required and not do it in the 1% it's not required? There is an exception to every rule? In a GPX file it is not capitalized so when I'm talking about the guts of a GPX I want it to display as is.

I detest things being done for me because someone thought it was a good idea. Automatic headlights in cars are a prime example. In my old car they'd come on in the dark and stay on even if I was parked waiting for someone. My new one is smart enough to turn the DRLs off in park and lets me decide wether to turn on the headlights. Although I wish the DRLs would shut off when the fogs are turned on....

It is the proper name of the company - therefore should be Capitailized - why does it bug you so much??

Because I'm an adult and can do it myself in the 99% of cases it's required and not do it in the 1% it's not required? There is an exception to every rule? In a GPX file it is not capitalized so when I'm talking about the guts of a GPX I want it to display as is.

I detest things being done for me because someone thought it was a good idea. Automatic headlights in cars are a prime example. In my old car they'd come on in the dark and stay on even if I was parked waiting for someone. My new one is smart enough to turn the DRLs off in park and lets me decide wether to turn on the headlights. Although I wish the DRLs would shut off when the fogs are turned on....

Also, its a pointless use of server resources, which from time to time have appeared to have been stretched when supporting this forum!

Matt

Edited by teamhillside

then again, does it really make a difference in gpx files? aren't xml tags supposed to be case insensitive?

Not the point. The fact that it's also done in code blocks worries me. When I post a script or something in a code block, it needs to be unmolested or who knows what unknown bugs will be introduced. Apparently there's other words that are altered.

Edited by Avernar

then again, does it really make a difference in gpx files? aren't xml tags supposed to be case insensitive?

Not the point. The fact that it's also done in code blocks worries me. When I post a script or something in a code block, it needs to be unmolested or who knows what unknown bugs will be introduced. Apparently there's other words that are altered.

i know it's not the point, i'm just saying. :anicute:

i find it annoying too and i totally agree with your rant abour car lights too, but chances are they're not gonna change it, so it may be easier to use your energy to find ways around the annoyance, e.g. by running your stuff through a simple sed -e 's/Groundspeak/groundspeak/g', or use something like http://pastebin.com/

Edited by dfx

i find it annoying too and i totally agree with your rant abour car lights too, but chances are they're not gonna change it, so it may be easier to use your energy to find ways around the annoyance

Yeah, I know it's probably not going to change. I was just ranting because I hate being surprised by this kind of thing. If they're going to much with my text they should have a disclaimer on the posting page: "We will auto-capitalize your posts for you".

The only words that are filtered are profanity and common misspellings of "geocache" and "geocaching.com". We also filter for Groundspeak, Wherigo, and now Waymarking (Thanks MaliBooBoo! :anicute: ).

Hopefully this knowledge gives you some comfort.

I added a filter for one other term but you won't have to worry about it coming up in a block of code. It'll probably never be needed but you never know.

Edited by OpinioNate

So we can swear and it will look like this? x*** hmmmm

On Woot! they filter their forums all sorts of ways. For instance if you type "crap" (always talking about their famous "bags of crap" or "BOC") they change it to carp. I kept wondering why everyone was talking about carp.

I don't know the other words they change but if you discuss the daily deal, especially during a Woot! off you'll see some strange stuff. Just humor I suppose. I would have fun if I worked at Groundspeak- not capitalized. (Or is it?)

I don't know the other words they change but if you discuss the daily deal, especially during a Woot! off you'll see some strange stuff. Just humor I suppose. I would have fun if I worked at Groundspeak- not capitalized. (Or is it?)

Around here, if you talk about , or your post will automatically be censored. :anicute:

Around here, if you talk about , or your post will automatically be censored. :anicute:

The best I've seen is fark.com, where if you type "first post" in a thread, the site will not only automatically edit your post, but will also set the timestamp to some point randomly in the future, so it might not even appear until hours later.

The only words that are filtered are profanity and common misspellings of "geocache" and "geocaching.com". We also filter for Groundspeak, Wherigo, and now Waymarking (Thanks MaliBooBoo! :anicute: ).

I added a filter for one other term but you won't have to worry about it coming up in a block of code. It'll probably never be needed but you never know.

Doh!

The best I've seen is fark.com, where if you type "first post" in a thread, the site will not only automatically edit your post, but will also set the timestamp to some point randomly in the future, so it might not even appear until hours later.

There's at least one forum (I think SomethingAwful) where, if you're not logged in while reading, any f-bombs in a post are changed to "gently caress". I don't know what happens if you are logged in (as I've never created an account there), or if it's changed when you post it, or what. I think they change another 4-letter word to "doody" or something like that as well.

Well, I'd have to say the OP failed here. The only thing that happened was that Waymarking was added to the list. B)

Hey, can we get that common misspellings of "cache" filter added to cache pages for the hundreds of instances I've seen of bad spellar cache owners calling them cashes?

Hey, can we get that common misspellings of "cache" filter added to cache pages for the hundreds of instances I've seen of bad spellar cache owners calling them cashes?

That doesn't bother me as much as when I'm talking to someone in person and they pronounce it ca-shey. :anicute:

Also, its a pointless use of server resources, which from time to time have appeared to have been stretched when supporting this forum!

Matt

Funny that the powers that be would not do something about this if it impairs server ability. They have surely not allowed you to search with a search string of fewer than 5 characters claiming that doing so impairs server function. Sounds like it's time for a server upgrade. Doesn't it??

I used to post on a forum that would not permit certain sets of letters, anywhere. If I posted "Scrap of paper", it would come trough as "Scarp of paper". (Actually, I think they used something like 'garbage', so it would come through as "Sgarbage of paper".) Pretty sad.

What did it do about the town of Scunthorpe?

Around here, if you talk about , or your post will automatically be censored. :)

I've noticed that too. :D

The only words that are filtered are profanity and common misspellings of "geocache" and "geocaching.com". We also filter for Groundspeak, Wherigo, and now Waymarking (Thanks MaliBooBoo! :D ).

Well, I'd have to say the OP failed here. The only thing that happened was that Waymarking was added to the list. :D

what about PQ's where if used as full word "queries" becomes everything under the moon...most often i see quarries :)

Matt

Funny that the powers that be would not do something about this if it impairs server ability. They have surely not allowed you to search with a search string of fewer than 5 characters claiming that doing so impairs server function. Sounds like it's time for a server upgrade. Doesn't it??

the resources required for a simple wordfilter like that are totally negligible when compared to everything else a forum engine does.

Yeah, I know it's probably not going to change. I was just ranting because I hate being surprised by this kind of thing. If they're going to much with my text they should have a disclaimer on the posting page: "We will auto-capitalize your posts for you".

They did post a disclaimer;

"Copyright © 2000-2010 Groundspeak, Inc. All Rights Reserved."

Welcome to the internet, or is that Internets?

The only words that are filtered are profanity and common misspellings of "geocache" and "geocaching.com". We also filter for Groundspeak, Wherigo, and now Waymarking (Thanks MaliBooBoo! :rolleyes: ).

Hey, Nate... thanks for the explanation, but do you suppose you could also add "Nosechad" and convert it automatically to "Knowschad"? I know that it hasn't happened yet, but it will. Its just a matter of time. While you're at it, you might also want to add "KnowsShad". Just a thought. Thanks. I will return the favor.

Knowschad.

The only words that are filtered are profanity and common misspellings of "geocache" and "geocaching.com". We also filter for Groundspeak, Wherigo, and now Waymarking (Thanks MaliBooBoo! :rolleyes: ).

Hey, Nate... thanks for the explanation, but do you suppose you could also add "Nosechad" and convert it automatically to "Knowschad"? I know that it hasn't happened yet, but it will. Its just a matter of time. While you're at it, you might also want to add "KnowsShad". Just a thought. Thanks. I will return the favor.

Knowschad.

Nate, don't let Nochads make more work for you.

They did post a disclaimer;

"Copyright © 2000-2010 Groundspeak, Inc. All Rights Reserved."

Welcome to the internet, or is that Internets?

That's not a disclaimer and I have not signed away the copyright to anything I wrote to anyone. While Groundspeak does have a license to use and modify my posts, that's not what they said they would do (see below).

Back to my original point, from the guidelines:

11. Any messages you post in these discussion forums will remain available to the public for as long as this discussion board is online. Once you have posted your message, it will stay online. Please post carefully and with due consideration to the content of your post. We will not edit the content you wrote unless it does not conform to the forum guidelines. In the unlikely even that we do edit your post and you do not like the changes, we can delete the message at your request.

The said they weren't going to edit my posts if I followed the guidelines.

Edited by Avernar
11. Any messages you post in these discussion forums will remain available to the public for as long as this discussion board is online. Once you have posted your message, it will stay online. Please post carefully and with due consideration to the content of your post. We will not edit the content you wrote unless it does not conform to the forum guidelines. In the unlikely even that we do edit your post and you do not like the changes, we can delete the message at your request.

The said they weren't going to edit my posts if I followed the guidelines.

So, I guess the issue is that the guidelines should be updated to add "Thou shalt capitalize Groundspeak and the trademarks it owns" :rolleyes:

That's not a disclaimer and I have not signed away the copyright to anything I wrote to anyone. While Groundspeak does have a license to use and modify my posts, that's not what they said they would do (see below).

You can't sign away a copyright you don't own anyway.

Were this about 15 days later, I would think this thread was an April Fool's joke.

Excuse me? I do indeed own the copyright to everything I write on this site.

And Groundspeak acknowledges that fact. From the Terms of Use Agreement:

6. License to Use Submissions

All comments, articles, tutorials, screenshots, pictures, graphics, tools, downloads, and all other materials submitted to Groundspeak in connection with the Site or available through the Site (collectively, "Submissions") remain the property and copyright of the original author. If You submit Submissions to Groundspeak, You must adhere to any applicable submission guidelines that may be posted from time to time on the Site. By submitting any Submission to Groundspeak, You grant Groundspeak a worldwide, non-exclusive, transferable, perpetual, irrevocable, fully-paid royalty-free license and right to use, reproduce, distribute, import, broadcast, transmit, modify and create derivative works of, license, offer to sell, and sell, rent, lease or lend copies of, publicly display and publicly perform that Submission for any purpose and without restriction or obligation to You.

All comments, articles, tutorials, screenshots, pictures, graphics, tools, downloads, and all other materials submitted to Groundspeak in connection with the Site or available through the Site (collectively, "Submissions") remain the property and copyright of the original author. If You submit Submissions to Groundspeak, You must adhere to any applicable submission guidelines that may be posted from time to time on the Site. By submitting any Submission to Groundspeak, You grant Groundspeak a worldwide, non-exclusive, transferable, perpetual, irrevocable, fully-paid royalty-free license and right to use, reproduce, distribute, import, broadcast, transmit, modify and create derivative works of, license, offer to sell, and sell, rent, lease or lend copies of, publicly display and publicly perform that Submission for any purpose and without restriction or obligation to You.

**Correct! It is called "Intellectual Copyright" in some cases thank you Microsoft in others curse you.

But lets say I where to write a book about me and I wished to place what I'm currently writing into it.

I could not legally copy copy this entire thread without the threat of having to compensate one or more individuals.

I could...

I was browsing the Groundspeak Forums when I noticed a thread called "Please stop auto editing my posts!"

I was read a few posts and noticed baloo&bd said "You can't sign away a copyright you don't own anyway." in response to Avernar saying "That's not a disclaimer and I have not signed away the copyright to anything I wrote to anyone. While Groundspeak does have a license to use and modify my posts, that's not what they said they would do (see below)."

I was about to post a reply but I noticed that Avernar had responded to baloo&bd with "Excuse me? I do indeed own the copyright to everything I write on this site.And Groundspeak acknowledges that fact. From the Terms of Use Agreement:" this is when I decided to quote both and say **

A barely tolerable literary attempt but I'm sure the point comes across.

I'll also add that GS's section on it would boil down in a court as "We have already compensated the individual by allowing them to use the resource"

On Topic

I agree that that inside code tags everything (barring blatant profanity) should remain free of any form of tampering. Not only could it have unintended consequences in macros and programs but it could put mud on the face of the author and cost them hours debugging something they shouldn't have to debug in the first place.

Fact capitalization is recognized as being different in programing and high end macro interpretation.

Here's my guess as to what's going on ....

1. This is third-party forum software (everybody knows this part).
  2. With third-party software, there are always limitations as to how much control the purchaser has over its configuration.
  3. This package allows the user (Groundspeak) to specify a list of words and phrases which are to be capitalized (it also presumably can be configured as to which naughty words are to be disallowed, but that's another topic).
  4. The forum software, as purchased, isn't flexible enough to force capitalization in some areas of a post (general content) and not other areas (in sections of code).
  5. Groundspeak placed the word "Groundspeak" on its list of words to be capitalized, simply because that's how it's spelled and capitalized.

If my guesses are correct, the only thing Groundspeak could do is allow "Groundspeak" (lower case "G") to be allowed anywhere in a post, and it looks like they chose not to do that.

--Larry

**Correct! It is called "Intellectual Copyright" in some cases thank you Microsoft in others curse you.

But lets say I where to write a book about me and I wished to place what I'm currently writing into it.

I could not legally copy copy this entire thread without the threat of having to compensate one or more individuals.

I could...

I was browsing the Groundspeak Forums when I noticed a thread called "Please stop auto editing my posts!"

I was read a few posts and noticed baloo&bd said "You can't sign away a copyright you don't own anyway." in response to Avernar saying "That's not a disclaimer and I have not signed away the copyright to anything I wrote to anyone. While Groundspeak does have a license to use and modify my posts, that's not what they said they would do (see below)."

I was about to post a reply but I noticed that Avernar had responded to baloo&bd with "Excuse me? I do indeed own the copyright to everything I write on this site.And Groundspeak acknowledges that fact. From the Terms of Use Agreement:" this is when I decided to quote both and say **

A barely tolerable literary attempt but I'm sure the point comes across.

I'll also add that GS's section on it would boil down in a court as "We have already compensated the individual by allowing them to use the resource"

On Topic

I agree that that inside code tags everything (barring blatant profanity) should remain free of any form of tampering. Not only could it have unintended consequences in macros and programs but it could put mud on the face of the author and cost them hours debugging something they shouldn't have to debug in the first place.

Fact capitalization is recognized as being different in programing and high end macro interpretation.

Of course, now that you've quoted portions of those previous threads, they become a part of your own copyrighted forum post, you lucky guy, you!