Very newbie question

Freedom Bus

As the link above indicates, a talking stick is any object held by the person who currently has the floor in a discussion.

This isn't the first time it's come up here. Apparently, someone heard the phrase, and assumed (wrongly) that it meant a pencil, and has been using that way ever since. It's called Folk Etymology. I knew a guy who swore that "G.I." (in reference to a US soldier) meant Galvanized Iron, because that's how strong they were. And since his dad told him this, it must be true.

Edited by Prime Suspect
This isn't the first time it's come up here. Apparently, someone heard the phrase, and assumed (wrongly) that it meant a pencil, and has been using that way ever since. It's called Folk Etymology. I knew a guy who swore that "G.I." (in reference to a US soldier) meant Galvanized Iron, because that's how strong they were. And since his dad told him this, it must be true.

I've googled, and "Government Issue" seems to be the favorite, but many sites are unwilling to rule out "Galvanized Iron". There's also "General Infantryman" and "G1".

As for th OP's question - context, please.

I've googled, and "Government Issue" seems to be the favorite, but many sites are unwilling to rule out "Galvanized Iron". There's also "General Infantryman" and "G1".

As for th OP's question - context, please.

When I was in the Army they told us we were all Government Issue. In fact, when we got orders for Desert Storm, lots of people were breaking their legs and stuff to get out of going, they were being charged with destruction of government property. LOL

As the link above indicates, a talking stick is any object held by the person who currently has the floor in a discussion.....

I've been to meetings where there was a literal stick.......

Yep! And they often resemble microphones. <_<

Doug