What's up with this?

eahousley

I went out to recover a marker that I'd found earlier but couldn't take a picture because melting snow filled the hole with more water than I could clear. Now I find this X positioned precisely at the markers location. I chose to leave it be for now.

Anyone know why someone would do this?

28092_100.jpg

-- Its from aliens. I seen um. --

That's an aerial target for a mapping flight. That "X" will show up on the photo's and be used for control. There are more out there in the area depending on how large of an area tehy are to cover. That looks to be a pipeline or utility route, is it? Great Lakes Gas Transmission Co hs done work like that thru the UP of Michigan. They establishde GPS control along the pipelines. There was a survey crew from Texas doing the work, at least thier 4x4 subruban has Texas Plates on. I think the company was Wilbros.

When I worked for the MDOT we put many of these out there. They were often in groups of of 5 for aerial triangulation. We would put 3 along the main flight route and 1 on each side of the route, called wing shots. We would then onserve these positions with GPS and run elevations to all points. The scope of the work didicated the amount of field survey needed. Many times they just panel exissting control and that it enough to satisfy the mapping. We would often have to set our own points as very few NGS control existed for our needs.

Here's a photo of one of our surveys. scan0001.jpg

[This message was edited by elcamino on April 13, 2003 at 08:24 AM.]