Those nifty charts and graphs on your profile

I am always awed by those really cool charts and graphs that are shown on some cachers' profiles. They show their caching statistics by month, by region, FTF's, milestones, etc. So I thought I would try to put this on our profile. Looking at some other profiles, it looks like the nicest one is made by GSAK, and I have downloaded the trial of this software program twice. I have found two problems:

1. I am really only interested in keeping track of our finds and stats, but this software seems to do WAY more than just this. When it launches, I don't quickly see how to download our data onto our profile sheet, and I have read a lot of the FAQ's about it. It appears to be really complicated, and quite time consuming, and I'm pretty computer literate.

2. Both times I downloaded the software and tried to run it, it locked up my computer.

Can anyone tell me their experiences with trying to use GSAK just for stats, and did you find that you needed a degree in Computer Sciences to make it work? I understand what a Macro is, but it looks like you have to set up a macro for every stat you want to keep. I just don't know if this is worth it for someone who doesn't have several days to devote to learning this software! Any feedback? Thanks!

I am always awed by those really cool charts and graphs that are shown on some cachers' profiles. They show their caching statistics by month, by region, FTF's, milestones, etc. So I thought I would try to put this on our profile. Looking at some other profiles, it looks like the nicest one is made by GSAK, and I have downloaded the trial of this software program twice. I have found two problems:

1. I am really only interested in keeping track of our finds and stats, but this software seems to do WAY more than just this. When it launches, I don't quickly see how to download our data onto our profile sheet, and I have read a lot of the FAQ's about it. It appears to be really complicated, and quite time consuming, and I'm pretty computer literate.

2. Both times I downloaded the software and tried to run it, it locked up my computer.

Can anyone tell me their experiences with trying to use GSAK just for stats, and did you find that you needed a degree in Computer Sciences to make it work? I understand what a Macro is, but it looks like you have to set up a macro for every stat you want to keep. I just don't know if this is worth it for someone who doesn't have several days to devote to learning this software! Any feedback? Thanks!

I think that most of us do use the GSAK FindStatGen3 macro. I do. Most of us here use GSAK for many other things as well. It should not be locking up your computer. You really should take your question over to the great guys at the GSAK support forum.

I think that most of us do use the GSAK FindStatGen3 macro. I do. Most of us here use GSAK for many other things as well. It should not be locking up your computer. You really should take your question over to the great guys at the GSAK support forum.

Well, at least I know the name of the Macro that I need to be looking for! Believe me, I have spent several hours looking over the support forums, but all of the topics and discussions seem to be oriented toward using GSAK for organizing caches, etc... not using it for statistics. :D Maybe I'm just being mentally lazy, but am I the only one who found this to be pretty complicated to set up?

At the very bottom of a profile page created with FindStatGen3, you will see the following:

Stats generated by FindStatGen3 V3.5.15 by rutson and lignumaqua, running on GSAK v7.6.2.45

As for the duplicate posts and duplicate threads... when the forum times out on you, do not hit Refresh (or F5). Just leave the forum and come back in. Your thread will be there, and only one copy of it.

Can anyone tell me their experiences with trying to use GSAK just for stats, and did you find that you needed a degree in Computer Sciences to make it work?

No Computer Science degree required! I merely have a degree in Computer Engineering, and with an evening of careful tinkering I was able to get it working (see my profile).

Good luck!

At the very bottom of a profile page created with FindStatGen3, you will see the following:

Stats generated by FindStatGen3 V3.5.15 by rutson and lignumaqua, running on GSAK v7.6.2.45

As for the duplicate posts and duplicate threads... when the forum times out on you, do not hit Refresh (or F5). Just leave the forum and come back in. Your thread will be there, and only one copy of it.

Thanks! I guess I learned something else I wasn't even aware that I didn't know! (That's exactly what happened... it kept going to a "timed out" or "error" message.)

Also, thanks for the extra input on the Macro.

As for the necessary degrees, it seems that the more you have the less tinkering will be required! :D

For #1, get your MyFinds PQ. Load it into a database. Load the FindStatGen macro. Run the macro. The spiffy stats are in your windows clipboard, go to GC.com and go to edit your profile and paste the stats into your profile.

For #2 there are various reasons. The best place to get help is on the GSAK board.

drats, mine says

Stats generated by FindStatGen3 V3.9.03 by rutson and lignumaqua, running on GSAK v7.7.0.99

I guess it is time to regress.

I like to use "cachestats", or "mygeachingprofile.com", or "it's not about gthe numbers"

Google any of them and they are pretty simple, I'm a gadget geek but I'd rather be outside and these had the shortest learning curve for me.

Thanks! I'll look into them. I'm the same way... too many things I'd rather do, and not enough time in which to do them!

I like to use "cachestats", or "mygeachingprofile.com", or "it's not about gthe numbers"

Google any of them and they are pretty simple, I'm a gadget geek but I'd rather be outside and these had the shortest learning curve for me.

Thanks! I'll look into them. I'm the same way... too many things I'd rather do, and not enough time in which to do them!
Besides, it takes a few more than 29 finds to make those stats look very impressive :D:D

GSAK definitely does more than I need and more than I know what to do with. I just wanted the map of the states on my profile for my own use and every time I have to change it I have to look up how to do it again. It's only a few steps, but I can never seem to remember how to do it. Definitely try the GSAK board and if I remember how to do it myself, I'll email you! :D)

Besides, it takes a few more than 29 finds to make those stats look very impressive :D:D

That's why it's good to plan ahead! Then when you have something to show, the hard work is already done! :D:D:laughing:

That's why it's good to plan ahead! Then when you have something to show, the hard work is already done! :D:D:laughing:

Good planning. Before you know it, you'll have 30!

GSAK definitely does more than I need and more than I know what to do with. I just wanted the map of the states on my profile for my own use and every time I have to change it I have to look up how to do it again. It's only a few steps, but I can never seem to remember how to do it. Definitely try the GSAK board and if I remember how to do it myself, I'll email you! :D)

Thanks for the feedback and the help. Interesting insight...

I have made it quite easy to learn how to figure out how the FindStatGen macro works. It took me about 2 weeks to figure out everything on my own since there was no dedicated "How To" for it so after some people asking me how to do it, I did a very good How To guide on it.

It constantly needs to be updated since things are always changing with it. But go HERE and click on the Create a GSAK Profile. It will take a few minutes the first time but like I said in the Guide, Don't skip ahead and don't Panic...

I have made it quite easy to learn how to figure out how the FindStatGen macro works. It took me about 2 weeks to figure out everything on my own since there was no dedicated "How To" for it so after some people asking me how to do it, I did a very good How To guide on it.

It constantly needs to be updated since things are always changing with it. But go HERE and click on the Create a GSAK Profile. It will take a few minutes the first time but like I said in the Guide, Don't skip ahead and don't Panic...

WOW! I just gave a cursory look-see at your web page with the instructions, and first I would like to say a big THANK YOU! for all the time you have clearly put into this for fellow cachers. This was obviously a lot of work, and I'm sure many appreciate it! :laughing:

As for me, this is exactly what I was looking for. A step-by-step guide for creating the profile info. I have no problem spending time meticulously and patiently setting something up, so long as I know that at the end I will have something to show for it, and not just a wad of hair I've pulled out of my head! :anibad: This looks great, and the best part is that now I think I can set it up quickly enough to play with it during the free period to see if I want to purchase it. The way my life runs, it would have expired before I had the time to figure it out!

Thanks so much!

I would say go ahead and get it. There are so many things you can use GSAK for that its not funny.

New ideas are always showing up in the GSAK forums and they all have there use. Even though I have the Oregon 400t and don't need GSAK to upload the PQ's I still use it anyways I can tell it how many to send to the unit.

Oh, there will be no more stats generated. Groundspeak has put a stop to that by removing the logs from its "My Finds" PQs.

Most of the stats generated don't require the logs. The only stat that I can think of where a GSAK macro will look at the logs is in trying to detect if the finders log contained a FTF string. All the other charts and numbers are obtained from the simple fact that it was included in the MyFinds query (it was a find) along with the lat/log coordinates to show the numbe of finds in a state/country, D/T ratings to display charts, and the timestamp to display how many caches were found in a certain period, predictions of milestones (i.e. expected to find 1000 caches in NN days). IF the logs were removed in My Finds PQs it's not going to change the stats much at all.

Most of the stats generated don't require the logs. The only stat that I can think of where a GSAK macro will look at the logs is in trying to detect if the finders log contained a FTF string.

Which is silly anyway. If you write "Just missed FTF by 5 minutes" in your log it will count it as a FTF.

Oh, there will be no more stats generated. Groundspeak has put a stop to that by removing the logs from its "My Finds" PQs.

Most of the stats generated don't require the logs. The only stat that I can think of where a GSAK macro will look at the logs is in trying to detect if the finders log contained a FTF string. All the other charts and numbers are obtained from the simple fact that it was included in the MyFinds query (it was a find) along with the lat/log coordinates to show the numbe of finds in a state/country, D/T ratings to display charts, and the timestamp to display how many caches were found in a certain period, predictions of milestones (i.e. expected to find 1000 caches in NN days). IF the logs were removed in My Finds PQs it's not going to change the stats much at all.

Ahhh, but that is incorrect. If GSAK doesn't see any logs it will not recognize that you have found the cache. Even when I manually set the cache as found it wouldn't run the macro.

That being said I have the utmost confidence that this is a bug in the PQ generator as it doesn't return the logs on regular PQ's either.