Nuvi 500 or Oregon 400t or iPhone?

KenAZBoat

I own an Oregon 400T and an IPhone. I have had zero trouble with the Oregon in the sunlight. I think you have to cell subscription because it uses the data to place you on the map and to find the geocaches.

I love my Oregon... it has changed the way I cache for the better. I am thinking about upgrading to the 550 because it can take pictures and hold 5000 caches.

I want to buy a gps for geochacing for my daughters. I keep hearing Oregon 400t is hard to read in sunlight and we live in AZ and it is always bright. Is the Nuvi 500 screen better? Can I use the iPhone 3G S without getting a phone subscription?

I've never tried any of them outside.

:) I have each of those units. The Nuvi 500 I use in the vehicle and it works great with the pocket queries loaded in it. I don't use it outside as it is not waterproof. I use the iphone with geosphere for logging my field notes. Works very well. And I also heard about the Oregon being hard to see in bright sunlight but that hasn't happened yet. I started using it in Az. I read the forums about how to minimize seeing the screen problems. I followed the directions and installed a white background. Not sure which part that I did took care of it but I have no problem with the brightness issue.

I pretty much save my phone for the phone stuff except when I happen to be in an area where I haven't got a pocket query loaded. Then I use the geocaching app for locating the closest caches and enter the coords into the Oregon. The iphone dosen't do well around rocks or moisture even with a good case so I keep it safe.

I think if you want to use the iphone for much of anything you will need a subscription with somebody. Happy caching! B)

Touch screens because of the way they are made reduce the ability to read the screen. The Oregon can be worked around by installing the alternate backgrounds as described. Also positioning yourself so the sun is coming over your shoulder onto the screen makes it fine. I use the compass screen to point when I am hiking/biking since it is simple to see.

The map screen is difficult. If you go over to teh oregon wiki site they have a list of suggestions to improve it.

I want to buy a gps for geochacing for my daughters. I keep hearing Oregon 400t is hard to read in sunlight and we live in AZ and it is always bright. Is the Nuvi 500 screen better? Can I use the iPhone 3G S without getting a phone subscription?

I've never tried any of them outside.

I own both an Oregon 400 and an iphone. The Oregon has a backlight feature that makes it easy to read in the daylight. It eats up batteries but it is easy to see in that mode.

The iphone will get you close but it's accuracy is a little less to be desired and over time it even get worse. Mine now will get me within a 1/4 of a mile as it used to get me within 50 feet. Apples hands are tied by ATT at this point and can't fix it unless your contract is up AND you sign up for another two years.

I love my Iphone but not for Geo-caching.