Lowrance Endura Out&Back Update Version 1.3

http://www.lowrance.com/en/Downloads/Produ...ack-Update-1-3/

Lowrance Endura Safari Update Version 1.3

http://www.lowrance.com/en/Downloads/Produ...ari-Update-1-3/

Lowrance Endura Sierra Update Version 1.3

http://www.lowrance.com/en/Downloads/Produ...rra-Update-1-3/

What changes are made in this update?

Includes performance improvements:

* The software update installs the Navionics Viewer onto the Endura GPS device. This Viewer can then be accessed through the Tools button on the Main Menu.

* The Navionics Viewer provides customers the capability to use the Navionics microSD cards that they have purchased for their marine chart plotters on an Endura GPS as a secondary navigation device. The Navionics cards that are compatible with Endura are the Navionics Gold Marine (coastal charts) and Navionics Hot Maps Premium Lake charts on microSD cards.

* No other changes are included in this software update.

I try an answer and greetings from germany.

Because it was much cheaper, i bought an american Endura instead of an european one.

Only a different Basemap, but here in Germany my Safari would cost me more than $540 (price in euros 350,-).

So i got my Safari from overseas.

Map-Updates (Update 1.10) are pretty much useless for me, but the first Softwareupdate (Update 1.20) helps alot.

Importing Geocaches is much easier now, but there is still a dark side.

Some tiny bugs, like wrong energy source selection, so you have to swap NiMH with Alkaline to get a correct energy scale. Once you know this, nimh´s last 3-4h longer before the units shutdown.

Why i hate it taking the Endura with me for a search, is the navigating use for a manually typed in waypoint.

If you select a geocache, traditional one for sure, the Endura guides you to the cache until you select on the unit, that you found the cache.

But if you make a multi-stage cache, you need to type in the next stages coordinates as a waypoint and this way, the Endura brings you up to 10-20m (dep. on speed) before it stops navigation and displays that you reached the spot.

If you look out for a really tiny object, you will hate this message.

All you can do now in the field, is to look at the coordinates on the screen and try to get as close as you can to the coordinates you have in your mind or on a paper (cause you cant see them on the screen in this moment).

Hate is that feeling when you realize, that some user-selectable data-fields are not continuously actualizing themself. So in my case, i went up and down a hill in the snowwhite woods of germany looking for the one tree, that should have a cutting mark somewhere on it.

It tooks 30 minutes, it was the 3rd stage, the two stages before this wasnt nice either and for stage four i needed to make a waypoint averaging.

The Enduras cant help you with that, no sighting feature, no waypoint averaging.

Days later, i returned to this cache and used one of my favorites gpsr (a Satmap Active 10, no maps for US for this are available).

The navigating issue should changed with the next software update, lowrance technician told me this.

If sighting and waypoint averaging too, i dont know? I hope so, cause you need it often for a multi-cache.

Update 1.30 is no software update, it only adds a extra map viewer to use Navionics marine maps with Endura. On the international marine-convention "Boot" in Germany, Navico (Lowrance) employees explained that the Endura software cant use navionics maps for the moment, but will do it until the end of this year.

To start selling the new maps, Endura gets this 1.3 Add-on patch.

So the real new release you need to wait on is 1.40, as this should update the unit software.

For now, geocaching with Endura is nice but multiple stages are a pain-in-the-arse-Lowrance-style.

Its the accuratest receiver ive ever had but low on features.

Thread hijack -- Indotguy & others: How are you liking these things now with a few firmware updtaes? The first reviews weren't brilliant but I'm thinking of pivking one up now.

I have an Out&Back

The unit still lacks a few features but is far more useable. The firmware updates have corrected all of the major issues I had.

Very accurate and stable while navigating now - pleasure to use for Geocaching as the Geocaching features are the best I have seen.

Starbrand, I share Lee's curiosity. Since you're in a good cross-platform position to comment, could you say a little more about what you particularly like about the way Lowrance does geocaching?

It's good to see Lowrance ironing out the problems. I've come to the conclusion that one should expect a shakedown period with the release of a new GPS model. Even though I've seen from my own beta participation that a lot of bugs get weeded out, it seems very difficult to me to catch them all before the product goes into public release.

Starbrand, I share Lee's curiosity. Since you're in a good cross-platform position to comment, could you say a little more about what you particularly like about the way Lowrance does geocaching?

It's good to see Lowrance ironing out the problems. I've come to the conclusion that one should expect a shakedown period with the release of a new GPS model. Even though I've seen from my own beta participation that a lot of bugs get weeded out, it seems very difficult to me to catch them all before the product goes into public release.

Personally, I enjoy geocaching much more on the Endura Sierra than any of the other GPSr's I have (Delormes as the standard for paperless geocaching) because of it's ability to do even more filtering on the unit than what I would normally do on GSAK. No messing with additional breakdown GPX folders for Types vs. Size vs. distance vs. difficulty vs. terrain. I can do that on the spot with the Endura's filtering capabilities. Makes for some tremendous versatility. Lowrance really seems to have taken this market segment seriously because they've certainly done a few things perfectly in this area, in my opinion.

Our European friends comments above quite possibly could have been prevented by changing some GSAK criteria (had he access to it) when downloading the PQ's. I haven't had any problems with multiples yet. I'm still waiting for waypoint projection and averaging to be added and have been assured they will be added with future updates. Like everything else, time will tell. Based on what they've done so far, I'm not worrying.

Also, from a previous post:

"They have done alot to reverse their position in the last 4 mos. They've corrected many of the issues which made the Endura nothing more than a fancy paper weight. The new "Advanced Outdoor Content" (i.e. Acuterra Maps) rock in a big way. Probably some of the most advanced mapping I've had the pleasure of working with on a GPS! The "Turn by Turn" road navigation card is fantastic with near instantaneous recalculations and AUDIBLE instructions. This by itself puts this GPS Series (specifically the Safari and Sierra; the Out and Back can't use this chip) in a class by itself as one of the first real "crossover" handheld units capable of effective recreational use and automobile autonav use.

Thanks to the efforts of our friend here on the forums, "the Endura Expert" we've seen the customer service improve, problems have had faster resolution, and finally we have someone who will actully listen and escalate issues and suggestions to management which is unheard of for Lowrance! He's been fighting to get us better pricing on MapSelect and a few other options yet to be unveiled. Time will tell what the results of his efforts ultimately accomplish but I for one have been very encouraged by what I've seen and heard from Lowrance. I'm praying they continue in this direction and not ultimately "stall" the way Garmin did with the Colorado series. Regardless, I'm really looking forward to seeing what improvements will be released with the next update!"

Hope this helps answer your question.

Be Safe.

N

Because it was much cheaper, i bought an american Endura instead of an european one.

Only a different Basemap, but here in Germany my Safari would cost me more than $540 (price in euros 350,-).

Map-Updates (Update 1.10) are pretty much useless for me, but the first Softwareupdate (Update 1.20) helps alot.

Some tiny bugs, like wrong energy source selection, so you have to swap NiMH with Alkaline to get a correct energy scale. Once you know this, nimh´s last 3-4h longer before the units shutdown.

Why i hate it taking the Endura with me for a search, is the navigating use for a manually typed in waypoint.

If you select a geocache, traditional one for sure, the Endura guides you to the cache until you select on the unit, that you found the cache.

But if you make a multi-stage cache, you need to type in the next stages coordinates as a waypoint and this way, the Endura brings you up to 10-20m (dep. on speed) before it stops navigation and displays that you reached the spot.

All you can do now in the field, is to look at the coordinates on the screen and try to get as close as you can to the coordinates you have in your mind or on a paper (cause you cant see them on the screen in this moment).

Hate is that feeling when you realize, that some user-selectable data-fields are not continuously actualizing themself. So in my case, i went up and down a hill in the snowwhite woods of germany looking for the one tree, that should have a cutting mark somewhere on it.

It tooks 30 minutes, it was the 3rd stage, the two stages before this wasnt nice either and for stage four i needed to make a waypoint averaging.

The Enduras cant help you with that, no sighting feature, no waypoint averaging.

Days later, i returned to this cache and used one of my favorites gpsr (a Satmap Active 10, no maps for US for this are available).

The navigating issue should changed with the next software update, lowrance technician told me this.

If sighting and waypoint averaging too, i dont know? I hope so, cause you need it often for a multi-cache.

Update 1.30 is no software update, it only adds a extra map viewer to use Navionics marine maps with Endura. On the international marine-convention "Boot" in Germany, Navico (Lowrance) employees explained that the Endura software cant use navionics maps for the moment, but will do it until the end of this year.

So the real new release you need to wait on is 1.40, as this should update the unit software.

For now, geocaching with Endura is nice but multiple stages are a pain-in-the-arse-Lowrance-style.

Could not agree more with the frustration on multi cache locations. You might as well give up on trying a multi-cache with manual waypoint entering required. It really is a pain.

In addition, the duplicate-cache issue when loading multiple pocket queries remains to be solved. Also seems that "Endura Expert" has become a bit silent.

Funny - I am not frustrated in the least with manual input of coordinates for a multicache.

The ability to filter many aspects of the 4000 caches in the unit is a real bonus plus the ability to pull up hints and descriptions from the navigation screens is intuitve and easy. Entering field notes is quick and selecting a new cache in the area is a breeze.

Overall I still must admit it is not my favorite unit as it lacks a few features but for strictly geocaching out in the field - it is quickly becoming the favorite.

My last two GPSers were an H20 and H20C. They were both good units, particularly the H20C. I now have an Out & Back with a regional microSD topo map card. I haven't had the opportunity to do any serious caching with it yet, but I'm committed to giving it a chance to prove itself. The touch screen is nice and the paperless function seems handy. The topo maps with the 20 ft. contours are an improvement over the 40 ft. contours of the MapCreate software. What I don't care for is the loss of road detail when zoomed out and the hill shading. I think I'm going to miss the MapCreate maps although the AccuTerra data seems to be more up to date. In my opinion the Endura's would be a superior unit had they designed it with more of the features found on the iFinders.

Could not agree more with the frustration on multi cache locations. You might as well give up on trying a multi-cache with manual waypoint entering required. It really is a pain.

In addition, the duplicate-cache issue when loading multiple pocket queries remains to be solved. Also seems that "Endura Expert" has become a bit silent.

Regarding the issue with navigating to a manually entered waypoint, we do realize that the unit does stop navigating too early. This issue is on the list to be resolved.

I have suggested that we add waypoint averaging and waypoint projecting. We are still working on the duplicate-cache issue for multiple pocket querys.

As soon as I get a release date for these fixes I will post it in the forums.

Please keep the feedback comming so that we can continue to improve the Endura's.

Thanks.

I agree that fixing the duplicate cache issue for pocket queries would be at the top of my list of improvements or bug fixes. We don't have a ton of caches where I am and its pretty obvious when there are duplicates.

By the way, I tested the manually entered coordinates just to see what it did. Someone may have mentioned this already, but I guess there is a proximity indicator that is set too loose. It looks like if you import the cache locations as a LOC or GPX file, you avoid this problem entirely. Or at least until Lowrance can fix in a software update.