Looking for a GPS for auto & geocaching

ipodguy

I did some looking around and reading the reviews on this site and I'd like to hear your recommendations. The GPS I'd like to find is primarily for driving, but I'd like to use it for kayaking and geocaching as well.

I'd like to get a GPS that

• can give me turn-by-turn voice directions for driving
  • has a color screen
  • decent maps because I'm lousy with driving directions
  • runs on replaceable/rechargeable batteries like AA or AAA
  • is reasonably resistant to water
  • I can enter coordinates for geocaching and get close enough to find caches
  • I can pinpoint my location for hiding my own caches

I looked at some Garmin Nuvis and they seemed OK, but I don't know how great the batteries are and how good they do with water. I really like the screen and driving-directions aspect.

Can you point me in the right direction?

The only Nuvi that even comes close is the Nuvi 500 series - ruggedized and paperless Geocaching.

However - just not a real ideal unit to carry around with you and no standardized replaceable batteries.

The Oregon series plus Garmin's City Nav does most of what you want but no voice directions. Plus adding City Nav is like $80 plus the unit.

I'm not sure any 1 GPS will do all you asked for. Best bet might be to get a low end Nuvi for the car and an Oregon for trail use and Geocaching.

I did some looking around and reading the reviews on this site and I'd like to hear your recommendations. The GPS I'd like to find is primarily for driving, but I'd like to use it for kayaking and geocaching as well.

I'd like to get a GPS that

• can give me turn-by-turn voice directions for driving
  • has a color screen
  • decent maps because I'm lousy with driving directions
  • runs on replaceable/rechargeable batteries like AA or AAA
  • is reasonably resistant to water
  • I can enter coordinates for geocaching and get close enough to find caches
  • I can pinpoint my location for hiding my own caches

I looked at some Garmin Nuvis and they seemed OK, but I don't know how great the batteries are and how good they do with water. I really like the screen and driving-directions aspect.

Can you point me in the right direction?

Your best bet would be a Nuvi and also a handheld. The Nuvi 500 is a good, not great unit for all.

The very best dual purpose crossover GPSr (and one of the very best of many other GPSr's in my mind) I've EVER used is the Lowrance Endura Sierra (but the Safari also has many of the same features). These are true crossover GPS's with the "first in the industry on a handheld" voice prompts with the addition of their optional Turn by Turn Navigation chip.

The same Lowrance Endura series units, (which also include the Out and Back with this feature), are better known for their sophisticated geocaching features which are an industry first in allowing an on-board filtering search criteria on a handheld GPS. The optional 1:24k Topo maps are terrific (best prices are about $65-70). They also have the ability to add custom map imagery (USGS e-Topo's, BLM, and better than 10 meter resolution Satellite aerial imagery) using an on-line map buying utility called "MapSelect" (maps are currently $5 per grid). These GPSr's rock big time in a lot of ways and fit your criteria to a "t".

Few other points of interest include Waypoints: 4000, Routes: 500, Waypoints per Route: 250, Trails: 100, Waypoints per Trail: 10,000, Geocaches: 4000.

And they also include a 3-axis compass and altimeter, both Touch-Screen and Soft Keys; video, picture, and mp3 player; audible voice notes, etc.

Give it a look see. Might be surprised at what you see ... About $450 +/-

Be safe.

N

Edited by Native20559

The very best dual purpose crossover GPSr (and one of the very best of many other GPSr's in my mind) I've EVER used is the Lowrance Endura Sierra (but the Safari also has many of the same features). These are true crossover GPS's with the "first in the industry on a handheld" voice prompts with the addition of their optional Turn by Turn Navigation chip.

Actually Lowrance WAS the first in the industry with a handheld rugged voice-prompting navigating GPSr but it wasn't with the Sierra. YEARS ago they came out with the iWay 100 that did all that. It's been long discontinued now, but does show how Lowrance likes to be on the cutting edge of technology

http://thegpsdepot.com/iWay100_gps.htm

i'm very happy with my nuvi 500.. i have an etrex legend i take on my ATV when trail riding.. but my nuvi is great.

my legend has a neck strap, but then reception is not good unless it is parallel to the ground. my nuvi is great in my jacket pocket for reception, but has not strap nor a place to attach one. that is my ONLY beef with my nuvi 500 so far. and i got it for 200 bucks. sort of like a 2 for 1.

I totally agree that for your requirements the best bet is a low-end nuvi for the car and a handheld for other uses -- an Oregon if you can afford it, a Venture HC if money is an issue.

I'll second this - The Oregon (or Venture HC) are ideal for your outdoor activities. A refurb Nuvi 205, TomTom or other ultra entry level auto GPSr for in car navigation should only set you back another $50-75 if you watch for a deal.

i'm very happy with my nuvi 500.. i have an etrex legend i take on my ATV when trail riding.. but my nuvi is great.

my legend has a neck strap, but then reception is not good unless it is parallel to the ground. my nuvi is great in my jacket pocket for reception, but has not strap nor a place to attach one. that is my ONLY beef with my nuvi 500 so far. and i got it for 200 bucks. sort of like a 2 for 1.

You can also get a refurb Nuvi 500 for $149 here: DrivenGPS.com

Edited by Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hide