Marking TBs as missing

jamesamor

Is there anyway to mark a TB as missing or remove it from a cache, when you don't own the TB or the cache it's supposed to be in?

I've browsed about 20 local caches that claim to have resident TBs, but 'Recent Logs' has comments from cache's saying that there are no TBs. It would be a nice bit of admin to be able to clean up the phantom TB listings.

Is there anyway to mark a TB as missing or remove it from a cache, when you don't own the TB or the cache it's supposed to be in?

I've browsed about 20 local caches that claim to have resident TBs, but 'Recent Logs' has comments from cache's saying that there are no TBs. It would be a nice bit of admin to be able to clean up the phantom TB listings.

There is a process I recommend people follow when identifying bugs that should to be marked as missing.

You need to to allow at least three months to pass once someone reports the bug is not in the cache. I also prefer at least two verifications from cachers, three is even better. It may be that one cacher simply missed seeing it at the bottom of the container.

If there has been adequate verification and enough time has passed, post a note on the bug notifying the bug owner of the situation. Also provide them instructions on how to mark it as missing.

This is something I post:

Unfortunately this Travel Bug has been verified as not being in the cache.

You can remove it from being listed in the cache and place it into an unknown location. This will keep people from making a trip to the cache for a Bug that isn't there.

On the Bug page, under Trackable Item Options is the option "Mark item Missing". Click Go.

You can always retrieve it back out at a later time if it is found or re-released. Thank you.

-----

Give the bug owner three/four weeks to respond. If nothing happens then contact the cache owner, again giving them instructions on how to move it out.

If there is also no response after three/four weeks you can contact your local reviewer or the TB Forum mod Eartha to mark it missing for you.

Always attempt to work with the bug and cache owner before requesting assistance from Groundspeak.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Eartha I sent you an email on several caches in my area with bugs and coins that have been noted as AWOL for some time. didn't see any sense posting a new thread! Thanks!!

To go one step further....as the cache owner and verifying that the tb's and/or coins are no longer in the cache.....how long do you wait to see if they are logged before marking them as missing ?

Eartha I sent you an email on several caches in my area with bugs and coins that have been noted as AWOL for some time. didn't see any sense posting a new thread! Thanks!!

To go one step further....as the cache owner and verifying that the tb's and/or coins are no longer in the cache.....how long do you wait to see if they are logged before marking them as missing ?

30 days after the first verification the bug isn't in the cache.

If the cache has been muggled or destroyed you can move them out immediately when replacing the container.

30 days after the first verification the bug isn't in the cache.

If the cache has been muggled or destroyed you can move them out immediately when replacing the container.

Thanks for the reply BlueDeuce

I am always a bit worried about marking them missing a bit too soon .... 30 days sounds good ...Thanks

If a TB is marked as missing, and it turns out it wasn't missing, there is no harm, no foul. All someone has to do is log it back into action. It's not being archived, it's just being removed from the cache inventory.

Will logging the TB as being grabbed or discovered automatically start it back up, or does the owner have to do anything?

If a TB is marked as missing, and it turns out it wasn't missing, there is no harm, no foul. All someone has to do is log it back into action. It's not being archived, it's just being removed from the cache inventory.

Will logging the TB as being grabbed or discovered automatically start it back up, or does the owner have to do anything?

Any finder can Grab the bug into their possession. If they found it in a cache they would need to Grab it and then Drop the bug into the cache listing so the bug gets credit for being there. Then they Retrieve it as normal.

If the owner wanted to re-release the bug they would need Grab out of the unknown as well.

A Discover will not move it out. Some people put their coins out to the unknown where people can still Discover them but they aren't listed in the owner's Drop inventory.

Edited by BlueDeuce
....as the cache owner and verifying that the tb's and/or coins are no longer in the cache.....how long do you wait to see if they are logged before marking them as missing

Quitely frankly when I check my TB Stargate and they are missing I do it when I get home.

I don't feel the CO should be hostage to someone elses actions. I have never had a complaint in the years I have been doing it.

If the current holder sees it marked as missing he/she is free to redrop and grab.

Just seems to me the responsible person should take the action.

Just seems to me the responsible person should take the action.

It seems to me this cache owner was willing to maintain the listing and simply asked what would be a good timeliine. While I don't suggest cache owners are required to move bugs out, it is certainly helpful.

I tried the advice given but it didn't work. One local TB has NOT been in the cache listed for about 18 months. The owner owns the TB, but insists on listing it in his cache even though it was never in the cache and never has been since. Many logs on the cache page have indicated so. My requests to the cache owner and the reviewer have been fruitless.

I tried the advice given but it didn't work. One local TB has NOT been in the cache listed for about 18 months. The owner owns the TB, but insists on listing it in his cache even though it was never in the cache and never has been since. Many logs on the cache page have indicated so. My requests to the cache owner and the reviewer have been fruitless

At this point the only solution is two margaritas and since you have already found the cache (apparently) put it on the ignore list and move on.

I tried the advice given but it didn't work. One local TB has NOT been in the cache listed for about 18 months. The owner owns the TB, but insists on listing it in his cache even though it was never in the cache and never has been since. Many logs on the cache page have indicated so. My requests to the cache owner and the reviewer have been fruitless.

Give it to Eartha.