how can I get WAAS lock on my pn-40

Don't think that you have to do anything special. Mine locks onto them all by itself.

Note the satellite icons onscreen that are blue, those will be the ones that provide the lock-up capabilities to your GPSr unit. The longer you have it on and operating, the more lock-ups you will get. When locked, the signal bar also changes to blue.

The initial WAAS lock takes some time. Presuming you're in NC from your name, look for 138 on your Sat screen in the SW sky. If you've got a clear view in that direction and the bird shows on your screen, let it set there for 10 to 20 minutes or so and there's a good chance your bars will start turning blue.

Some people have reported not seeing WAAS show up much. I wouldn't worry about it, though--EPE is usually pretty good whether I have WAAS lock or not (and I don't think I see that much of a boost when I do).

Coming from a Magellan MAP 330 to the PN-40, I find that the Delorme device is greatly lacking in the ability to find and hold a WAAS lock.

It is a shame to pay all that money for the device and still carry the MAP 330 for additional help out in field.

A MAP 330 still getting WAAS? As an eXplorist XL owner all I can say is . . .

The Meridian and eXplorist owners were hobbled w/an hardware locked WAAS situation that

was reluctantly remedied by an firmware release . . . AFTER they were EOLd. I'm suspicious

of your 330s truthfulness, as the other devices said they had WAAS lock when in reality

they couldn't possibly, . . . seeing as how the WAAS transmissions were switched to satellites

they didn't know to look for.

Just wonderin' . . .

Norm

Coming from a Magellan MAP 330 to the PN-40, I find that the Delorme device is greatly lacking in the ability to find and hold a WAAS lock.

It is a shame to pay all that money for the device and still carry the MAP 330 for additional help out in field.

The Meridian and eXplorist owners were hobbled w/an hardware locked WAAS situation that

was reluctantly remedied by an firmware release . . . AFTER they were EOLd. I'm suspicious

of your 330s truthfulness, as the other devices said they had WAAS lock when in reality

they couldn't possibly, . . . seeing as how the WAAS transmissions were switched to satellites

Just wonderin' . . .

Norm

Perhaps you're doing something else in the field that requires WAAS precision but if you're just caching, there's absolutely no need to carry two GPS recievers just to get WAAS.

There is a hacked version of the MAP 330 firmware (R4.0) that I have loaded on my unit. Magellan did not provide updated firmware years back, effectively bricking the units that do not have the updated code.

There is a very good yahoo group - search for m330 · The Map 330 Club - on groups.yahoo.com for firmware info.

The MAP 330 almost always picks up two "W" transmissions while the PN-40 is stuck at +/-10 or 15 so accuracy and no "blue bars."

Those are the facts that I have experienced. I do still carry the 330 and will break it out especially when in deep woods. The 330 just has better reception. Hard to believe 10 year old technology puts 2008 tech to shame.

Just wonderin' . . .

Norm

My MeriPlat was still receiving WAAS well after EOL only because it was on at the time the updated constellation was broadcast. Do a factory reset prior to the hacked firmware, and you lost that update and the ability to lock WAAS.