Where should a newbie, like me, begin?

rollinginthecache

I have unsuccessfully hid 2 caches...unsuccessful mainly because of the high chances of being found by muggles and location conformity issues. After lots of feedback, I got the general recommendation to check out these and other forums. THERE'S SO MUCH TO GO THROUGH THOUGH...where do I start?

Also, I never can really find any? What the heck am I doing wrong? :rolleyes:

VP,

It's a good thing that you disabled your hides. You probably need to get several finds under your belt so you can get a feel as to how they are generally set up.

You mention having trouble making finds. I'd suggest you get together with some local cachers to learn the ropes.

I remember getting stumped on this one local cache at first. Folks would find this one and say "Thanks for the easy park and grab!" I tried this one three times and never found a thing. Others were finding this thing every day. This hide ended up being what is called a "parking lot lamp post skirt lifter". At that time I had no idea that you could lift those up until I read about this type in the forums.

If you decide to cache alone, I' suggest you limit yourself to finding hides with larger listed containers, then try for smaller ones later.

Most geocachers will suggest that before hiding caches you find a good selection: I would suggest at least 20 and 50 would be better... but that's just my opinion. That's not to say that brand new cachers don't hide good caches - some do - but how do you really know what's 'good', or 'bad', if you haven't found (m)any to be able to make comparisons?

These forums are full of geocachers willing to help you on all aspects of geocaching.

Read those two links given by jholly first and Woodstramp's comments. Then I suggest you have a look in the Groundspeak regional forum for Canada as well to see what's happening local to you.

Then it would be good if you could find a geocaching event near to you. You can do a search from this page: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx

Select from the drop-down > Event cache > By state/country > Canada > Alberta

and you'll see 5 listed over the next few weeks - maybe you can get to one of them.

I agree that there is a lot of information and I can see that it may seem a bit daunting when you're just starting out but you don't have to try and take it all in at once. Concentrate on simply finding caches to start with. If you can't find one then write a DNF log (Did not find) for it - Make it a bit humorous - then in 6 months time when you've really got the feel of how it all works you can have a laugh by looking back and reading your first efforts. After a few weeks, if you feel that you're still getting nowhere, then try sending a message to a local cache owner (through the link in their profile), tell them you're new and struggling and see if they'll give you some extra hints: You might even find one who says, "I'll meet up with you next weekend and we can do a few together..."

Cachers are usually a friendly, helpful bunch :rolleyes: Good luck!

MrsB

I have unsuccessfully hid 2 caches...unsuccessful mainly because of the high chances of being found by muggles and location conformity issues. After lots of feedback, I got the general recommendation to check out these and other forums. THERE'S SO MUCH TO GO THROUGH THOUGH...where do I start?

Some will disagree with me, and others will applaud your efforts to hide Caches, but my advice is this...

Start by finding about a hundred Caches before you hide any. This will give you a much better sense of what does and doesn't work in hiding Caches. It will also give you a chance to make sure you're going to enjoy the game for the long term, and learn what your taste is in Hides and Finds.

Welcome to the game!!

Here are some general hints:

Look for caches with a difficulty of 2 or less for your fist few caches. Stick with regular sized caches for your first few. Micros can be quite hard to find sometimes. Stick to areas you are familiar with. Look for anything out of place or unusual. Look for unusual piles of sticks, grass, leaves, rocks, sand, etc. Feel where you cannot look. Think vertical, not all caches are on the ground. Look up or at eye level. Look for traces of previous searches to zero in on the spot. Think like the hider - where would you put a container in this location? Look for things too new, too old, too perfect, not like the others, too many, too few. Change your perspective - a shift in lighting can sometimes reveal a cache. Keep in mind that many micros are magnetic or attached to something (via string, wire etc). Slowly expand your search area to about 40 feet from where your GPS says ground zero is. Bring garden gloves and a flashlight - they help! Be prepared to not find the cache more often then you think.

Most of all - have fun!!

As far as hiding caches, as Jholly pointed out make sure you are thoroughly familiar with the guidelines. If you keep bumping against the guidelines then reading them will save you a lot of time. Having all the local geocaches in your GPS will generally prevent proximity issues. If proximity issues are a consistent problem then perhaps your area is already saturated and you should try another area

If you want to hide a cache that will be received then think of the reason you are bringing people to that spot. If you are bringing people there just for the cache, then consider another spot.