Photo requirement for older earthcaches

Cav Scout

I understand that photos are now optional for the new earthcache listings effective 11 January 2010.

I would like to know if the older earthcache photo requirements will be grandfathered and allowed to stand.

Does anyone know the answer to this question?

Here is guideline #6 from the new EC guidelines page...

Logging of an EarthCache must involve visitors undertaking some educational task that relates to the Earth science at the site. This could involve measuring or estimating the size of some feature or aspect of the site, collecting and recording data (such as time of a tidal bore), or sending an e-mail to the cache owner with the answer to Earth science related questions they obtained by reading an information display. While photographs may be requested, they do not take the place of other logging requirements. Taking a photograph alone or asking people to do internet research does NOT meet these logging guidelines. Requests for specific content in the photograph (must include the visitor's face, for example) will be considered an additional logging requirement and must be optional. Cache owners may not delete the cache seeker's log based solely on optional tasks.

That guideline is for the newly listed notes about the new system and not the ECs prior to 10 January 2010.

I understand that photos are now optional for the new earthcache listings effective 11 January 2010.

I would like to know if the older earthcache photo requirements will be grandfathered and allowed to stand.

Logging of an EarthCache must involve visitors undertaking some educational task that relates to the Earth science at the site. This could involve measuring or estimating the size of some feature or aspect of the site, collecting and recording data (such as time of a tidal bore), or sending an e-mail to the cache owner with the answer to Earth science related questions they obtained by reading an information display. While photographs may be requested, they do not take the place of other logging requirements. Taking a photograph alone or asking people to do internet research does NOT meet these logging guidelines. Requests for specific content in the photograph (must include the visitor's face, for example) will be considered an additional logging requirement and must be optional. Cache owners may not delete the cache seeker's log based solely on optional tasks.

That guideline is for the newly listed notes about the new system and not the ECs prior to 10 January 2010.

Correct but my read on this is that Photo reqs are still allowed in addition to regular reqs but that you can no longer require a face or specific object.....or am I misreading this?

I am wondering the same thing. Its certainly not very clear :P .

Can the Earthcache Team help with this answer <_< ?

Correct but my read on this is that Photo reqs are still allowed in addition to regular reqs but that you can no longer require a face or specific object.....or am I misreading this?

Here's the answer we received for our newest earthcache regarding the photo " However I am concerned that your first logging requirement places TOO much emphasis on a photograph. Please make this your final logging task and remove the requirement that one must be sent. It should be optional only." What influence that has on older earthcaches we don't know. Could imagine a transitional period in which those requirements should be changed. On the other hand there are still some old earthcaches around without any task at all apart from submitting a photo.

Personally, I prefer the 'optional' as I don't like to post photos of myself on the net.

If I understand the new guideline which reads in part, "While photographs may be requested, they do not take the place of other logging requirements. Taking a photograph alone..." suggests that your only logging requirement cannot be a photo alone, that there must be a question relevant to the EC.

As I noted in another post, if privacy issues are a concern, then a reasonable compromise which can prevent armchair logging of ECs would be the requirement of a photo of one's GPS at the EC with the co-ordinates displayed. This way no one has to display a photo of themselves if they don't want to.

Photograph requests in which the CO requires specific content (must include the visitor's face, for example) should be made optional on existing EarthCaches.

At this stage we are leaving it to the CO to make the adjustments so their EC meet the guidelines. That said, we request that no CO delete a persons log because they did not meet your specific photograph content requirement.

So the catch phrase is "should be made optional".

In other words the older ECs have not officially be affected yet.

Am I correct?

Photograph requests in which the CO requires specific content (must include the visitor's face, for example) should be made optional on existing EarthCaches.

At this stage we are leaving it to the CO to make the adjustments so their EC meet the guidelines. That said, we request that no CO delete a persons log because they did not meet your specific photograph content requirement.

Am I correct?

You are correct! :P

However, we will not tolerate logs being deleted because a person did not meet a specific content requirement in a photograph (for example the requirement to show a face). Those requests are now optional only!

Am I correct?

You are correct! :unsure:

However, we will not tolerate logs being deleted because a person did not meet a specific content requirement in a photograph (for example the requirement to show a face). Those requests are now optional only!

Is it ok to have a "hard" requirement that asks for a photo of the geological thing the cache is about (leaving out faces, GPSrs, etc.)?

Is it ok to have a "hard" requirement that asks for a photo of the geological thing the cache is about (leaving out faces, GPSrs, etc.)?

That would meet the educational requirement as it would show that they were able to identify the feature you are pointing out. I've done that a couple of times.