What weird things have you done to make a geocache?

bittsen

Its starting to look as though this thread needs to be merged into the CCC thread!

Can you give us a sneak peak of the one that you're working on, Bittsen? I found a cache once that, for all the world, looked like a real fox or coyote sleeping in a den beneath a tree. Well... maybe a dead real fox or coyote by the time I found it, but it looked real enough that I had to poke it with a stick to make sure.

Its starting to look as though this thread needs to be merged into the CCC thread!

Can you give us a sneak peak of the one that you're working on, Bittsen? I found a cache once that, for all the world, looked like a real fox or coyote sleeping in a den beneath a tree. Well... maybe a dead real fox or coyote by the time I found it, but it looked real enough that I had to poke it with a stick to make sure.

Sneak peek? Heavens no.

But the cache will be called "Is it dead?" if that's any clue.

Sneak peek? Heavens no.

Sounds like the coyote.

Sneak peek? Heavens no.

Sounds like the coyote.

Yeah, I'm sure my idea isn't original. It's just something I thought would be funny. And really thought it odd that I was gutting a stuffed animal.

BTW, this should stay separate from the CCC thread since it's more about "odd" things than cool containers. I really don't know if a fake dead animal is "cool" but I can see how cool containers could end up in this thread by default.

Edited by bittsen

Climbed a number of trees, carried a desktop computer a few tenths of a mile into the woods (after gutting it and sticking a 50 cal ammo can inside); built numerous "birdhouses" that no bird ever has a chance of getting into; figured out how to print text in mirrored image on the back of a piece of paper with Microsoft Publisher; spent way too much time testing reflective tape and glow paint; disassembled and re-wired about half a dozen voice message recorders; completely gutted and re-wired a pair of old intercom telephones to work with aforementioned mesage recorders; purchased a heat laminator, painted dozens of pennies gold; painted / re-located my old mailbox.

I think that covers most of it. <_<

Well, there's a bit of a back story, but basically I had made enough "finds" to my liking and had found everything I had cared too within 50 to 75 miles of me, so I have "retired" this account when it comes to hiding and finding.

I opened a new account so I could well, start all over again. But I'm in the process of making a tombstone that houses a 30 cal ammo can inside. I don't have any photo's on this computer of it. But I've mounted a gargoyle to the top of it, and it will read Here rest's Parabola, told him that 5 terrian wasn't worth it. Then also a bit lower on the tombstone it will read offically geocaching game piece so it doesn't freak anyone out and the landowner has told me this would be ok. But lift it up and there will be a 30 cal under it. ;)

I spent about a year gathering materials for big multi-cache (Skull and Bones). I hacked the heads off road-kill, then carried them those heads home, buried them initially, dug them up and did final cleaning.

One day I was off trail at a reliable water hole in a very dry uplands area. A great bird watching spot.

On the edge of the water was the smelly rotting carcass of a big buck, big rack. And working the carcass was a mid-sized 'gator. I was stunned to see a gator there! yes, it's permanent water hole, but it's barely 70 feet across, and a long way from a river or any big water.

Anyway, I wanted that buck skull with rack. I approached, the gator went into the water, and I pulled out my trusty knife. Oops, only carrying Leatherman Mini. Blade less then 2 inches. So I'm squatted down on the water's edge hacking hacking away at the neck, trying not to cut off one of my fingers, when suddenly I feel the glaring angry presence of 'gator, eyeballing my rump and thinking about food... his carcass, his lunch. Adrenaline surging, I got through the tough sinew of the spine at the neck with one mighty swipe of the mini blade and hauled outa there, carrying head. Smelly smelly head.....

It's a great center piece to the cache (took a lot of prep, and needs work now, critters chew the antlers for the mineral, the coat of urethane is failing....)