Proposed Cache Location (Permission)

BooBee NYC

How do those of you who place a cache figure out who the land owner is? What local authority do you contact to find out if the land is public, private or not owned?

There is a spot I'd like to place a cache in the woods of an area near a local community of homes. The cache would not be near the homes, rather it would be placed across the road of the homes in the woods uphill on a very, very small mountain. I can't imagine homes being built in the small area because of the rocks but I want to make sure it's not town owned.

Do you think the town or a private owner owns this small piece of mountain top that has not been commercialized? I'm not sure who I should call to find out. I search the forum but after 10 pages I didn't find an answer.

How do those of you who place a cache figure out who the land owner is? What local authority do you contact to find out if the land is public, private or not owned?

Typically, at least in NY, that kind of information can be obtained from the *county" assessors office. In my case, the county has an interactive GIS site which provides detailed tax parcel maps. I've seen at least one other county that had that information available online, and one that did not. Check out your county government pages and see if they have a "maps" area.

Typically, at least in NY, that kind of information can be obtained from the *county" assessors office. In my case, the county has an interactive GIS site which provides detailed tax parcel maps. I've seen at least one other county that had that information available online, and one that did not. Check out your county government pages and see if they have a "maps" area.

This was super helpful, Thanks! I started checking other wooded areas I placed caches and all my caches are on "vacant" lands per the maps by the county GIS.

The location however, that I wanted to put a cache does lead to vacant woodlands but a cacher would have to cross what is considered commercial land per the GIS map. I marked an "X" where a cacher would have to pass through with some bushwacking which indicates it's commercial land, even though the cacher would end up in vacant woodlands.

61457689.jpg

They may be marked as vacant woodlands, etc, but someone owns it. The info about the county GIS site is good.

You could load the info you posted on a thumb drive and take it to the the County, someone there can help. Good Hiding and Finding!

Agreed - it is highly likely that somebody owns that land - quick trip to the county assosrs office will clear it up - that is part of what they are there for.