Oregon 200

I apologize but this might be a bit long.

Here's my problem: I can save about 200 gpx files apparently on my Garmin Oregon 200 and about 2000 geocaches in addition to 1000 waypoints. It says I can save about 200 gpx files as long as I don't exceed the waypoints and I probably have about 200 caches saved but I have only manually saved a handful of waypoints. The Garmin site says: "This error message is appearing because you are exceeding the number of .GPX files (route and waypoint data) that the unit can hold/accept. The unit can hold up to a maximum of 200 GPX files as long as the maximum number of 1000 Waypoints and 50 Routes are not exceeded." I have not saved more than 20 waypoints. So I'm guessing that when I load the caches, it is also loading extra waypoints for parking and other stuff that I don't know what they are. They are not GC codes and some have blue flags on the map. I don't know what they are for. When I plug my unit to my pc, there is no folder for waypoints, just gpx files so I don't know how to delete them without manually doing them one by one on my unit. The gpx folder showed some of my saved tracks that my gps is not showing. The Oregon only shows the current track button and 2 saved tracks. It says it's saving the track but then says I've exceeded the maximum.... and won't show the saved track. Now, I have a 2GB sd card but it's not saving to the card. If I exceed the internal memory amount, why won't it save the excess to the card? How do I load caches without the extra waypoints?

I don't understand why I can save 2000 caches but only 200 gpx files. That doesn't make sense at all.

Any advice and info would be much appreciated. Sorry for being long and maybe confusing.

I came across the "waypoint memory full" error last night and despite deleting all gpx files, it persisted.

It would seem that the addition cache waypoints (parking etc) which are contained in the *-wpts.gpx files are retained even when these files are deleted. The oregon wiki says this was an early bug which should have been fixed but it's also documented to be a feature.

Either way, go into setup, the reset menu and the second option (I think from memory) is for waypoints : it shows how much waypoint memory is in use (99% in my case) and allows you to delete them all...

I don't understand why I can save 2000 caches but only 200 gpx files. That doesn't make sense at all.

Any advice and info would be much appreciated. Sorry for being long and maybe confusing.

I don't think garmin anticipated people actually loading a cache one by one. It seems more efficient to create a pocket queries that can hold a max of 500 caches per gpx file - this way you would run into your max geocache limit of 2000 first while only using 4 gpx files.

I came across the "waypoint memory full" error last night and despite deleting all gpx files, it persisted.

It would seem that the addition cache waypoints (parking etc) which are contained in the *-wpts.gpx files are retained even when these files are deleted. The oregon wiki says this was an early bug which should have been fixed but it's also documented to be a feature.

Either way, go into setup, the reset menu and the second option (I think from memory) is for waypoints : it shows how much waypoint memory is in use (99% in my case) and allows you to delete them all...

I forgot about the 'reset' menu. I checked it last night and it said it was only 8% full. I would delete them all if it wasn't for the few fishing spots I have marked. I don't want to delete them. I'll have to try to figure it out later. I was deleting some one by one but that takes way too long.

I don't think garmin anticipated people actually loading a cache one by one. It seems more efficient to create a pocket queries that can hold a max of 500 caches per gpx file - this way you would run into your max geocache limit of 2000 first while only using 4 gpx files.

I'll have to try the pocket query later. That's way better. I definately like having the hints or description on the gps instead of having to write them down. Brilliant idea. Too bad there's a limit of 200 files. There's gotta be a way you can put extra on the memory card. If not, that's crappy. Very annoying for a product that costs over $400. I got it on sale but that's not the point. When I have the time, I'll have to figure this out. What a pain. Thanks for the replies guys.

I'll have to try the pocket query later. That's way better. I definately like having the hints or description on the gps instead of having to write them down. Brilliant idea. Too bad there's a limit of 200 files. There's gotta be a way you can put extra on the memory card. If not, that's crappy. Very annoying for a product that costs over $400. I got it on sale but that's not the point. When I have the time, I'll have to figure this out. What a pain. Thanks for the replies guys.

The GPX file feature on Garmin devices doesn't seem to be very well thought out. However, the limit in number of files is not one of them. It is difficult processing many small files.

Storing on memory card will not get you past the 200 file limit. To store on memory card, you just need to create a GARMIN folder on your memory card, and inside that, create a GPX folder, and store GPX files inside that folder.

The unit can hold 2000 geocaches or 200 gpx files which ever comes first. The files can be in internal memory or on SD card but the sum total cannot exceed either limit. Garmin is assuming that rather than downloading one cache per file (sendtogps) that you'll do most of your downloading using gpx files (i.e. pocket queries) that contain many caches. Most of the time I have one file loaded with several thousand caches because I use GSAK which can produce these same large files. If you don't want to mess with GSAK, PQ's are your other option or you'll be limited to 200 caches.

Note, none of this has anything to do with the 1000 waypoint limit, that is a separate independent limitation.

http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/geocaching has more details.

Well I did the pocket query thing but can't figure out how to send them to my Oregon. I opened the file from pocket queries on Easy GPS and it lists all my caches. I highlighted them all and clicked send to gps but nothing happened. Am I missing something? How do I send them over?

Your trying too hard.

Hook up the Oregon in mass storage mode - and place the unzipped gpx file into the [drive:]\garmin\gpx folder - unhook and go caching. Easy.

Well I did the pocket query thing but can't figure out how to send them to my Oregon. I opened the file from pocket queries on Easy GPS and it lists all my caches. I highlighted them all and clicked send to gps but nothing happened. Am I missing something? How do I send them over?

Your trying too hard.

Hook up the Oregon in mass storage mode - and place the unzipped gpx file into the [drive:]\garmin\gpx folder - unhook and go caching. Easy.

Thanks StarBrand. I did that and it works. Also bought the Topo Canada disc and installed that so I'm good to go. Finally got it figured out.

I forgot about the 'reset' menu. I checked it last night and it said it was only 8% full. I would delete them all if it wasn't for the few fishing spots I have marked. I don't want to delete them. I'll have to try to figure it out later. I was deleting some one by one but that takes way too long.

Transfer everything to MapSource or another program, save the fishing spots, then delete the unwanted files from the unit.