Background on Oregon

jimnsusie

I read a post on here awhile back about getting a white back ground on the oregon 400t, I think. But I can't seem to find it on mine. Just got the oregon recently and still learning it. The closest thing to white that I can find is in setup>display>background and select default. I understand the oregon can be hard to see in bright sunlight and a white back ground can help. Is there another setting or is that somehow in the map itself? I haven't been out in the bright sunlight yet but soon!

I read a post on here awhile back about getting a white back ground on the oregon 400t, I think. But I can't seem to find it on mine. Just got the oregon recently and still learning it. The closest thing to white that I can find is in setup>display>background and select default. I understand the oregon can be hard to see in bright sunlight and a white back ground can help. Is there another setting or is that somehow in the map itself? I haven't been out in the bright sunlight yet but soon!

The white background you're looking for isn't included by default on the unit. I found the white background I use on the GPSFix Web site. There's a link on the page for downloading a set of background images you can choose from.

--Larry

Edited by larryc43230

For a question I had on visibility 6? weeks ago, the suggestion was Setup/Map/Advanced Map Setup/Shaded Relief/Do Not Show. This changed the background to a light cream. Be aware that some of the polygons and lines have a very similiar color and esentially disapear with that background. For some reason Garmin chaged some features displayed as black lines on older units to a 'white' color.

The white background you're looking for isn't included by default on the unit. I found the white background I use on the GPSFix Web site. There's a link on the page for downloading a set of background images you can choose from.

--Larry

:) Hey, thanks for the info. I looked at the site and it looks like that is what I need. :)

Using the white backgrounds with a custom colored border for each different profile plus adding the name of the profile in the top & bottom of the colored border makes it very easy to instantly tell which profile you are in, even when you first turn on the unit and go to the main menu.

--Larry

I tried downloading from the gpsfix site and when I tried to open/install it, it said it was a bad file so I couldn't use it. Any suggestions. I have Vista business.

I tried downloading from the gpsfix site and when I tried to open/install it, it said it was a bad file so I couldn't use it. Any suggestions. I have Vista business.

It's a ZIP file. You should save it to your local computer, then click on it from file explorer.

To get you started, you can drag this image to your desktop to save it there, then copy it to your Oregon.

762716904_ESfM2-O.jpg

You should be able to download this file directly:

http://www.gpsfix.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/bg.zip

or go the bottom of the post and download individual jpg files.

I must be doing something wrong. Downloaded it 2 times more and each time I tried to open it (in MS) it said it was a bad format and would not open.

What is this MS you're referring to (assuming you're trying to open the bg.zip file)? With Windows Vista, you should be able to just double-click on the file to open it and extract the contents.

--Larry

You should be able to download this file directly:

http://www.gpsfix.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/bg.zip

or go the bottom of the post and download individual jpg files.

I must be doing something wrong. Downloaded it 2 times more and each time I tried to open it (in MS) it said it was a bad format and would not open.

What is this MS you're referring to (assuming you're trying to open the bg.zip file)? With Windows Vista, you should be able to just double-click on the file to open it and extract the contents.

--Larry

Microsoft Streets and Tips 2006 is the version I have loaded in my laptop.

Microsoft Streets and Tips 2006 is the version I have loaded in my laptop.

It's a ZIP file, you don't need any software to open it.

What you need to do is to download, open the file (in File Explorer), and you should see a bunch of JPEG files.

You need to copy the JPEGs (or just the ones you want) into x:\garmin\profiles, where x: is the Oregon drive letter after you plug it in. Then you need to go into Setup to select that JPEG as your background.

Turn off relief shading and land cover is the best you can do. Details on how to make the map page more readable are here:

http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Miscellaneous#toc7

And you can have a white map background AND have shaded relief also. Iv'e been playing around with TopoFusion taking away all of the color from a topo map and leaving just a plain white surface with the shaded relief turned on and then uploadeding it to my Oregon with a 0 draw order. The results were my 24k Garmin maps with shaded relief and a white backgound instead of the very hard to see Garmin brownish/green shaded relief. This is so much easier to see while out on the trails.

I don't know if you are having the same problem I had recently, but I was getting error messages stating that my downloads were corrupted, or sometimes would save invalid signature. Turned out my router was corrupting all downloaded files. Took me sometime before I figured that one out. In fact I had to take my computer over to another house and try the same downloades before I found the problem.

Turn off relief shading and land cover is the best you can do. Details on how to make the map page more readable are here:

http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Miscellaneous#toc7

And you can have a white map background AND have shaded relief also. Iv'e been playing around with TopoFusion taking away all of the color from a topo map and leaving just a plain white surface with the shaded relief turned on and then uploadeding it to my Oregon with a 0 draw order. The results were my 24k Garmin maps with shaded relief and a white backgound instead of the very hard to see Garmin brownish/green shaded relief. This is so much easier to see while out on the trails.

I don't have any Garmin maps loaded, only the default basemap that came with the Oregon and some custom maps from the gpsfiledepot. But, no matter which map is enable or disabled, it always shows that creamy color. Does anybody know if this creamy background is a file on the garmin that creates that color, so that it could somehow be replaced with a real white color?