Idea for a Geocoin - What do you think

OTT Team

I got one for you.

Recently we had a death in the family, and we were faced with a decision concerning cremation. It turns out that now you can have portions of your ashes put inside a charm or key chain.

Has anybody ever considered making a coin with a compartment for such purpose.

Imagine if you will a chance to travel in the the afterlife, seeing the world one cache at a time.

We would have to work out whether or not it would be allowed, and then something would have to be done about selling the coins as a pair. The coins wouldn't have names on them, just a design and a tracking number. You could use the info on the coin to put pictures and sayings.

It sounds a little crazy. But if you got the coin and all you had to do was solder it shut or work out a twist in cap. I favor the soldering, just to avoid any spills.

What do you think. Our group has mixed thoughts.

seems a little creepy for me...no disrespect intended.

Oh... Don't worry about disrespect, it is a Forum. I don't plan on making the coin. lol I just want to get a general opinion of the idea.

On a good note, the coins would have a better chance of never getting muggled do to the fact someone probably wouldn't keep it knowing someone was in it.

i think its disrespectful. geocaching and travelbugs/geocoins is essentually a game. to place my loved ones ashes into a game that is one of my pasttime hobbies would not even cross my mind, its just wrong.

i think you should only do something like this if the person makes it known before passing, and even then as this game is worldwide, many people myself included would feel very uncomfortable handling the ashes game peice, even if the person involved wished for it to happen and this is well statedin the tb info.

i think its disrespectful. geocaching and travelbugs/geocoins is essentually a game. to place my loved ones ashes into a game that is one of my pasttime hobbies would not even cross my mind, its just wrong.

i think you should only do something like this if the person makes it known before passing, and even then as this game is worldwide, many people myself included would feel very uncomfortable handling the ashes game peice, even if the person involved wished for it to happen and this is well statedin the tb info.

I agree with the fact that the person would have to make it known that is what they wanted. I would hope that people wouldn't just start sticking random people in there. As far as the game part goes, some people don't see geocaching as a game. To them it is a sport, or even a way of life.... Why stop there?

We send out travel bugs and geocoins with missions to go places we have or haven't been. See things we may never have seen or never will get to in this life.

You say disrespect.... I say honor! Honor them in a way that they can be remembered for what they loved, and devoted time to. Honor them in a way that will render them immortal.

Just thought I'd argue that the other way.

I also find it disrespectful. I don't see it as an honor having a loved one "dropped" into some of the trashy caches that coins end up in. Treating them the same as a McD toys just doesn't sound like a way to show honor or respect.

I like this one... What if there is water damage in the cache? You could end up spreading Uncle Frank all over.

This would definitely go on the Cons List.

Even poor old Uncle Elwyn went missing. (Which I just marked missing, alerting the 99 watchers that it's really, really gone!) Would you do that to your relatives?

The ashes:

A complete cremation is a two-step process. Firstly, the actual exposure of the deceased to several hours of intense heat and flame; after which the remains are mostly ash except for certain bone fragments, then the entire remaining ash and fragment volume is gathered and run through a processor, creating a uniform powder-like texture.

Maybe you would be more interested in having the remains made into a "Life Gem".

I also find it disrespectful. I don't see it as an honor having a loved one "dropped" into some of the trashy caches that coins end up in. Treating them the same as a McD toys just doesn't sound like a way to show honor or respect.

Not only that but how would you like to open a cache and find the remains of a dead body in there!! ICK!!

Would you do that to your relatives?

I don't know.... If I had a relative that showed me geocaching and we spent hours bonding and talking about life while we walked aimlessly in the woods for hours, I am pretty sure I would at least think about it.

I'm pretty sure a lot of us have moments just like that.

At this point, I'm siding with the idea of not putting human remains in a coin, but instead just having a coin that was designed with a symbol on it. You could just get a coin and name it after that person and send it on its way. It would be like lighting a candle for someone.

Would anyone like to submit an idea for that geocoin?

You already did, OTT Team, I'll just embellish it a little. A candle. One that's lit with an LED, or glows in the dark, or is gold plated. But now I'm thinking that might be tacky. Just the gold plating sounds nice. The other side is customizable, with a photo inlay of the dearly departed, covered with that clear enamel. Edit to add: Just the flame is gold plated. The rest in silver, or chrome-like. The candle stick, well there you have your "Choose Your Color" option.

Edited by Eartha

I agree with Eartha! (Happy new year!!! :anibad: )

A candle with a flame would be perfect! I would say no photos etc! every one who will buy this coin will just say it is in the loving memory of ....

In the title! It will be a momorial coin for all who left.... and each new owner will name the coin!

I wouldn't like a geocoin with the ashes of a dead person in!!! Not even a pet or what ever!

It is creepy for sure, I wouldn't even touch it, and if I would by a mistake, it would be a socking experiance!

sorry if I will sound crue, I hope I will not be missunderstood, but even the most loving person for us, is not meaning anything for someone else!

the cacher who will have it in his hands and finds out after what it is and what is hidden in it, will thing that this is a sick, horrible disgusted thing and creepy coin made by a freak! sorry for this...

The cache owner wouldn't like to turn his cache into a grave! I am sure he wouldn't like this coin to be in there! I do not know if others who have travellers inside the cache would feel the same too! Maybe the sight of this coin in the cache will turn the cache into a "do not go there" cache!

Water, mud etc come in caches sometimes... If water comes in the cache this coin is, everything in the cache will have an ashes mud of the dead person! The next geocacher who will find the cache will not be happy, and trust me, the "lucky" one who will have to clean the mess, the other travellers etc, will be..... :anibad:

Once, I saw that a geocacher found urines in a cahce! some guys are horrible...,

anyway.... would you like the remaines of your beloved one to be in a cache like that?

Or... would you like to see your relative beeing sold in EBAY??? (I do not know if all the coins will have ashes, or..) No!

Except that, who would like to take home or put the coin in his bag where his tost or his water may be....?????

So you may believe that you are honoring the dead, but in reality you do not!!!

An other thing that needs to be considered, is the religion in other countries!!! what I mean...

In Greece for example, even if lately the goverment said that cremation will start here too because of lack of space in graveyards, The church is against!!! It is a sin according to the Orthdox church! The dead must be burried! I do not know... maybe Mouslims follow the same thing and maybe others too! since the game is worldwide.....

I know that it is your coin and you can do whatever you like, but... there are many things to be considered!

If we start doing these things, Who knows what lse we will see in coins in the future!!!!

Please do not missunderstood my post! I am speaking as a friend, ok? :)

I am a geocacher and plan to be cremated but to think they would send me out for strangers to pick up, I would come back and haunt them. I like Eartha's idea of the candle and flame, the eternal light or flame.

That was OTT Team's idea, I just expanded on it.

It would be like lighting a candle for someone.

Well it looks like I'm going to be the only one to say I like the coin idea you originally had. For me the only "creepy" part would be not wanting to spill any ashes while putting a small amount in a geocoin. So to avoid spilling a bit of the dearly departed the opening in the coin would need to be as big as possible so you're not trying to pour Uncle Henry into to tiny hole say the size of a pencil lead and more ends of on the floor than in the geocoin.

It's kind of interesting to see the difference in responses this question gets over here in the geocoin forum. I've seen it brought up a couple times in the TB forum and a few agree with the majority here on this forum, but most over there seem to express thoughts that it's perfectly fine and they basically like the idea. I guess even though both of the forums are here on Groundspeak, but they definitely differ in perspective on this topic.

Thanks to the OP for bringing it up. It's been interesting to see the difference in the different forums opinions. :anibad:

I like the idea of honoring a dearly departed... (I had a coin made in the memory of my cat) but to actually have a coin with someone in it.. ick! I would never want to touch it. If you have one coin made and you carry it around, maybe... but I don't want it. I like the idea of the candle coin.

I like the idea of honoring a dearly departed... (I had a coin made in the memory of my cat) but to actually have a coin with someone in it.. ick! I would never want to touch it. If you have one coin made and you carry it around, maybe... but I don't want it. I like the idea of the candle coin.

and it is a lovely coin my friend! :D you know how much I like it! but if it had ashes of it inside... well.. I do not know... It is creepy!!

I wrote the coin candle not to have a photo so the buyer can name it with his lost person to honor him!

Just in case I was missunderstood, if the coin is dedicated in one person and it is not for general use, to put a photo is ok by me! Rod put Tod's photo on his coins and they are great!! I think the coins for the sodiers who died in Iraq nad Afghanistan (I do not remember the name of the coin...) has a photo... right? so, it is ok! :unsure:

I really wouldn't want to move part of a dead body around. I just think some things are sacred. The bodies of our loved ones should be respected. To me, this is taking a tragic event, and making light of it. Geocaching is a game, it is fun. Release a TB or coin in their name, but don't drop their ashes in a cache.

The bodies of our loved ones should be respected. To me, this is taking a tragic event, and making light of it. Geocaching is a game, it is fun. Release a TB or coin in their name, but don't drop their ashes in a cache.

If they wanted it, you would be respecting their wishes. I don't think you would be making light of a tragic event.

The bodies of our loved ones should be respected. To me, this is taking a tragic event, and making light of it. Geocaching is a game, it is fun. Release a TB or coin in their name, but don't drop their ashes in a cache.

If they wanted it, you would be respecting their wishes. I don't think you would be making light of a tragic event.

I lost my mom earlier this year. Although my mom would have loved to travel the world, I would never think of taking part of her body and dropping it in a cache. But I will probably dedicate a coin to her and let it travel in her memory.

Yes, it is making light of a tragedy. "Gee, so and so is dead. Wouldn't it be fun to make their ashes into a travelbug?" Not my first thoughts when I lose someone I love.

I lost my mom earlier this year. Although my mom would have loved to travel the world, I would never think of taking part of her body and dropping it in a cache. But I will probably dedicate a coin to her and let it travel in her memory.

Yes, it is making light of a tragedy. "Gee, so and so is dead. Wouldn't it be fun to make their ashes into a travelbug?" Not my first thoughts when I lose someone I love.

Sorry for your loss. My wife lost her mother last month.... At no point did I say "Wouldn't it be fun".

The idea was that for people that love to Geocache.....People that love to Geocache.... one more time.

The idea was that for people that love to Geocache... could continue doing just that even after their time has passed.

Don't get all personal with it. lol It is just an idea up for discussion.

So you are saying you want two coins? Somebody get on making these.

Sorry for your loss. My wife lost her mother last month.... At no point did I say "Wouldn't it be fun".

The idea was that for people that love to Geocache.....People that love to Geocache.... one more time.

The idea was that for people that love to Geocache... could continue doing just that even after their time has passed.

Don't get all personal with it. lol It is just an idea up for discussion.

So you are saying you want two coins? Somebody get on making these.

What I would love is a coin like the one that LillySue did earlier. It was one that could be engraved, and dedicated to your lost loved one. No ashes, just a place to make a touching tribute to a lost loved one.

Having someone put my ashes in a coin/TB to go traveling? Sure! Using anyone else's? Never. I think people know me well enough to know I'd get a tremendous laugh out of remaining a part of something I love long after I'm gone, but that's because I'm a cacher and it would be in line with my wishes. I just wouldn't do it with anyone else's ashes unless they expressed an interest in something like long before. Also, not sure how legal it would be/not be. Interesting concept though.

If you look on the TB discussion forum - I saw a link (under unusual TB's found) - to a set of ashes (or part thereof) of a cacher who had passed away andtheir ashes were put into TB for and sent on their way.

See reply #10 by Eartha for a link to Uncle Elwyn - the TB, not the relative... err, it is the relative or what's left of 'm!! LOL

Edited by Droo