Icons for historical theme?

History-Cacher

I need to quickly identify geocaches that have a historical theme. Is there a icon that is used

for that? When I go on vacation, time is limited but I would like identify and find geocaches in

a historical area.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Historically yours,

-RKO

"Live from Cape Canaveral"

Edited by History-Cacher

My suggestion would be to search local tourist information websites for historical sites you want to visit, then search to see if there are caches nearby, even if the caches don't have the specific theme of the nearby historical site it's still a way of combining your two interests.

I've also found that alot of virtual caches have some kind of historical theme, and some earthcaches combine geology with local history, as geology often dictates how people used the landscape throughout history.

Good luck and happy caching.

Thanks for the informative replies. I wonder how many geo-cachers are actually interested in caches

that have a historical theme. Has anybody done a survey of the different levels of interest or core values

of geocachers?

Maybe if there is enough interest in historical themes we could set up a discussion group here.

Anybody had experience with setting up new discussion group here?

Maybe the better questions is how many people reading this message are interested in historical themed

geocaches.

If so, reply to this message and I will use the responses to advocate a dedicated discussion group here.

Historically yours,

-RKO

Thanks for the informative replies. I wonder how many geo-cachers are actually interested in caches

that have a historical theme. Has anybody done a survey of the different levels of interest or core values

of geocachers?

Maybe if there is enough interest in historical themes we could set up a discussion group here.

Maybe the better questions is how many people reading this message are interested in historical themed

geocaches.

If so, reply to this message and I will use the responses to advocate a dedicated discussion group here.

Historically yours,

-RKO

The Team here are really large fans of history and geocaches that effectively combine the game with history would be of interest. Cape Canaveral is one of our favo experiences. How far back do your experiences there go?

Edited by Team Cotati

Thanks for the reply,

Only back to 1996. But I am the city historian and an author of a book entitled, "Images of America:

Cape Canaveral"

I am looking for a poll feature to determine if setting up a special discussion forum dedicated to

historical geocaching would be worthwhile. I think it could a two way street in not only interesting

geocachers to local history but also introducing history buffs to goecaching. It could be a good

marriage of the two interests.

of geocachers?

geocaches.

Historically yours,

-RKO

The Team here are really large fans of history and geocaches that effectively combine the game with history would be of interest. Cape Canaveral is one of our favo experiences. How far back do your experiences there go?

I tend to enjoy history-themed caches, and have created one myself: Golf, Anyone?

It seems that the Wherigo platform offers a great opportunity for combining hisory with caching, in fact many of the existing Wherigo caches, at least in my area, are along these lines. Old Bennington WalkingTour

Unfortunately, I don't think I have what it takes to implement a Wherigo adventure with the tools currently available.

Thanks for the reply,

Only back to 1996. But I am the city historian and an author of a book entitled, "Images of America:

Cape Canaveral"

I am looking for a poll feature to determine if setting up a special discussion forum dedicated to

historical geocaching would be worthwhile. I think it could a two way street in not only interesting

geocachers to local history but also introducing history buffs to goecaching. It could be a good

marriage of the two interests.

of geocachers?

geocaches.

Historically yours,

-RKO

Without a doubt. Please keep us in the loop.

Thanks.

of geocachers?

geocaches.

Historically yours,

-RKO

Why don't you bring it up in the web site forum here? An historical interest icon might be a useful and interesting additional option for cache pages.

Thanks for the informative replies. I wonder how many geo-cachers are actually interested in caches that have a historical theme. Has anybody done a survey of the different levels of interest or core values of geocachers?

People cache for a variety of reasons. Some do it to see their find count increase, some do it to see interesting places, some do it for both reasons. I know a lot of geocachers who enjoy caches with a history theme. I own a series called "Revolutionary Places" that highlights places related to the American Revolution. It seems to popular. I'm sure many people find the cache and couldn't care less about the historic aspects of the caches, they just want their smiley, while others are fascinated by it.

I doubt that a forum dedicated to the subject would fly because it's such a niche area, but who knows. You can always start a thread related to discussing historic caches and it will stay active as long as there is interest.

of geocachers?

geocaches.

Historically yours,

-RKO

I also like historical caches. The only issue that I can see is how a cache owner could define "historical". I helped keep a cache that had been muggled alive (replacing the container) that wasplaced at the foundation of the home of John D. Rockefeller. Some local history might night have much interest to someone outside that area.

I found the cache at the Colosseum in Rome (as well as several other caches there). That's some history that goes back a long time.