Found unactivated geocoin

GlanGailFer

Activate it and it's yours, or drop it in another cache as a gift.

See the geocoin forum on this site for info on finding the activation code online.

If we activate a coin and put it out it is meant to be a traveler, if we put it out unactivated then it is a gift to the finder and you can do with it as you wish.

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Obviously the owner forgot to activate it.

Did it come with all the packaging? An unactivated coin, left as a surprise, would need both its "Activation Code" and its tracking number, in order to for you to activate it.

Those tracking numbers are often VERY hard to read. If you type it wrong, it won't show up in the database.

As GOF & Bacall said, check the logs for the cache you found it in. And look at the list of coins for that cache. With all the coins that go missing, it's good to double-check before you keep it.

If I place an unactivated Geocoin as a gift, I'll also include a note with coin, saying so (with instructions on what to do next). If I have activated it, I'll drill it and include info and reminder tags. It's worthwhile to avoid confusion.

Edited by kunarion

It is unusual to find an unactivated geocoin left in a cache - not impossible, but not commonplace.

Please double check that tracking number. Is the zero actually an O? Is the B actually an 8? Is the one actually an I? Those are common stumbling blocks on some coins where the numbers are very small or are hard to read (such as on the edge of the coin).

Also I've had people contact me about my signature token tag that I leave as swag and ask me if they are geocoins. Pathtags have a number on them too, so sometimes people confuse them. Can you post a picture of the coin? (Just don't show the tracking number please.) That may help.

It is unusual to find an unactivated geocoin left in a cache - not impossible, but not commonplace.

I guess that's where the phrase "Your mileage may vary" comes from, as I have had minted and given away or left in caches over 800 unactivated geocoins in four patterns so far. I have maybe 100 activated that I've used as traders or left in caches.

When trading you don't trade an activated coin for an unactivated one unless both parties know the coin's status.

Never sell an activated coin without the coin owner and buyer being aware of the transaction.

I can only speak for myself but when I put them out or give them to someone unactivated I consider it theirs to do with as they wish. If I activate it I expect it to travel.

Also, most producers of tracking numbers do not use both 0 and 0 - oh and zero, or 1 and l (one and el) so that they cannot be mistaken.

Lastly, activation codes for any unactivated coin are readily available from a number of sites. For that reason most mints no longer put the activation code on the coin envelope.

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

activation codes for any unactivated coin are readily available from a number of sites. For that reason most mints no longer put the activation code on the coin envelope.

Thanks for the clarification. I've only seen 2 unactivated coins, and both had "activation codes" in the packaging (it's not a very secure code). One was handed to me by a GC "Lackey" -- so it was easy to know the status of the coin. :)

I recently found a possibly unactivated coin, brand new, in all its packaging, and I even traded nice swag for it. Turns out, it was activated (had an "owner"). Some people will insert a strip of paper with the tracking number written large, so you know it's activated, and it's simpler to track.

Edited by kunarion

I guess that's where the phrase "Your mileage may vary" comes from, as I have had minted and given away or left in caches over 800 unactivated geocoins in four patterns so far. I have maybe 100 activated that I've used as traders or left in caches.

Totally true. I have just reached 500 caches and have never had the pleasure of finding an unactivated coin. Maybe you could do some caching in Oregon? :)

When I have left unactivated coins as swag, I always leave a note explaining that the coin is unactivated and the person who decides to take it should remember to trade up or trade even down the line. :P

Totally true. I have just reached 500 caches and have never had the pleasure of finding an unactivated coin. Maybe you could do some caching in Oregon? :)

I will be out your way for GW8, maybe we can hook up for a trade!

I don't do geocoins anymore, at $8 to $12 each I am embarrassed to say how much I've spent on coins to give away, but I may have some pathtags made.