Arizona Caching in January

Scubasonic

I will be traveling to Surprise Arizona January 5th to do some caching people have warned me about, Rattlers, Scorpions, and spiders. What should I prepare for. I'm from Washington State so the only thing to worry about here is drowning since it rains so much, any help would be appriciated for my upcoming trip to Arizona.

ScubaSonic

:)

Snakes...not likely to cold, Spiders Just watch where you stick your hands, with the best part of 73 years in the area only been bit twice (Black-Widows)...one nasty sting / itch / firey Burn...not lethal....guess this depends on the person and their system. Scorpions, the cold also keeps them down / slow and one really has to hunt them down to find.........don't mess around old lumber piles etc. etc. and you should be ok.

:)

Snakes...not likely to cold, Spiders Just watch where you stick your hands, with the best part of 73 years in the area only been bit twice (Black-Widows)...one nasty sting / itch / firey Burn...not lethal....guess this depends on the person and their system. Scorpions, the cold also keeps them down / slow and one really has to hunt them down to find.........don't mess around old lumber piles etc. etc. and you should be ok.

Thanks very much for the response guess I can leave my snake bit kit at home on this one.

ScubaSonic

I will be traveling to Surprise Arizona January 5th to do some caching people have warned me about, Rattlers, Scorpions, and spiders. What should I prepare for. I'm from Washington State so the only thing to worry about here is drowning since it rains so much, any help would be appriciated for my upcoming trip to Arizona.

ScubaSonic

And don't wear good clothes - they are liable to get ripped on cactus and sharp rocks. I carry tweezers to remove cactus spines. (Some people carry hemostats) Also, be careful of bees. Any bees here may be africanized - so carry Benadryl if you are allergic (or epipen if you are really allergic). A comb is also useful to brush off cholla spines that may just out and attach themselves to you or your clothes.

GP

If you are hiking, bring a warm coat with you. Temps can drop below freezing at night. Many hikers get lost in the mountains, or take a tumble and end up spending the night in the mountains, even the city mountains.

Read up on africanized bees. They have different behavior than most bees and you should know what to do and what not to do with them here. It doesnt happen often, but a couple of folks die from them each year, and not because of an allergy.

Contact the locals at this forum if you want to get some ideas for good local caches or even possibly someone to hike with.

When you are picking up the caches hidden with sticks, be careful with how you pick it up. Don't be all 'handsy' with it.

It's too cold for most of our desert critters right now, but you may find a scorpion hidden under a ammo can or in the pile of sticks. I ALWAYS look under the ammo can first before I open them up.

Wear good shoes. I sometimes foolishly wear crocs when I cache and the cactus can and does go straight though....I know, I know.

It's dry here. Take water. Even in our freezing cold winters :)

And dont' forget your hat. That dadgum sun blazing all the time can get super annoying...