Advice on Best Geocaching/Paperless GPSr

FaithQuest

I've been geocaching for about 3 months. I've used my TomTom until now but I'm very interested in moving to paperless caching so I need some advice.

I want to purchase a hangheld GPSr and here are my needs and don't-needs:

NEED

-paperless caching; gpx files

-i like touch screen but don't have to have it

-$200 to $300 price range

-a great geocaching GPSr

DON'T-NEED

-I don't need this to be the GPSr that I use to navigate roads on long trips or vacations. My TomTom is fine for that

-All the bells and whistles or the fanciest maps

I'd very much appreciate advice or guidance!

For the price range you're looking at and seeing that turn-by-turn road routing isn't important, I'd say the Delorme PN-40 is a no brainer. I say that primarily due to Amazon offering it at such a great price recently. The price right now is $234 but it's dipped to $200 at times in the last few weeks.

Now I'll step back and let the inevitable "which is best" arguments ensue.

For your criteria, I think the Oregon 300 series, if you can find it for the price I did ($250 + tax) should be on your short list. I like the large screen and the ease of use (mostly).

I don't have experience with a PN-40 to compare it against, so I decline to participare in a "which is best" argument. Just providing an alternative for you to consider.

Purely on the "paperless caching" criteria and price range, I'll echo the DeLorme PN-30, PN-40 recommendation. Catch either of them <$200 at Amazon.com on a good day, add $10 for DeLorme's Cache Register (cache load & sync software), and maybe $30 for a one-yearl map/imagery download subscription (which you may not need) -- and it's still in the low end of the OP's price range.

Edited by lee_rimar

Purely on the "paperless caching" criteria and price range, I'll echo the DeLorme PN-30, PN-40 recommendation. Catch either of them <$200 at Amazon.com on a good day, add $10 for DeLorme's Cache Register (cache load & sync software), and maybe $30 for a one-yearl map/imagery download subscription (which you may not need) -- and it's still in the low end of the OP's price range.

Hey Lee - thanks for the info. After reading more on the PN-40, I'm now leaning towards it and away from the Oregon. The one thing I can't find much info or review on is Cache Register softwar. Could you please advise me on it?

Where do I purchase it...is it something they mail me on disk or can I download it?

Does the software bring in the GPX files from geocaching.com and does it bring in all the info on the cache such as description, hints and coordinates?

Also, does the software automatially input the coordinates for navigation to the cache?

Sorry for so many questions! And I understand if you don't have time to answer all of them. I just want to make the best purchase I can! Thanks!!

... I can't find much info or review on is Cache Register software. Where do I purchase it...is it something they mail me on disk or can I download it?
Buy it online from DeLorme, delivered by download: http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELibeCCtd...p;section=10600

It downloads pocket queries directly from GC.com -- so after you're set up your own queries for the caches you want, all of the coords, hints, recent logs, etc get loaded on to the GPS with one click of the mouse.

Edited by lee_rimar
... I can't find much info or review on is Cache Register software. Where do I purchase it...is it something they mail me on disk or can I download it?
Buy it online from DeLorme, delivered by download: http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELibeCCtd...p;section=10600

It downloads pocket queries directly from GC.com -- so after you're set up your own queries for the caches you want, all of the coords, hints, recent logs, etc get loaded on to the GPS with one click of the mouse.

Thanks Lee -

I looked it up on the DeLorme site and read-up on it all. I also went over to geocaching.com to learn about the pocket queries.

After reading countless reviews and specs the past 3 days, I'm now really leaning towards the DeLorme. I had never heard of this company before you folks recommended it so I'm really glad you did. The PN-40 has been in my shopping cart on Amazon for 3 days so I could watch the price fluctuations. In typical Amazon style, the price has moved around. It drops $2 every morning and goes back up $2 every night, from $233 to $231 and back. Ha! My inclination is to wait until after Christmas to actually purchase, hoping the price will go down further.

Does anyone out there have a guess as to when the price might actually be the lowest? Now or after Christmas?

Looks like I'm late to the conversation and you've pretty much made your decision. I would have added that you'd probably be happy with any of the models mentioned. I think one advantage to the DeLormes is that they are in the process of implementing SD card support such that one can have as many geocaches available as SD memory will allow. I think the Garmins allow a large number of geocaches if loaded as POIs, but a smaller number of actual geocache waypoints.

Read more here.

I'm going to throw out another choice here. Might look at the Lowrance Endura Out&Back. It has a combo touchscreen/button interface, the best in-unit Geocaching features out there, easy to learn to use, Can hold up to 4000 geocaches and supports swapping geocaching files off/on an sd card.

The unit got off to bad start and some ugly reviews (mine among them) but recent firmware updates have addressed all the major issues and it is shaping up to be a fine unit. About $170.

I'm going to throw out another choice here. Might look at the Lowrance Endura Out&Back. It has a combo touchscreen/button interface, the best in-unit Geocaching features out there, easy to learn to use, Can hold up to 4000 geocaches and supports swapping geocaching files off/on an sd card.

The unit got off to bad start and some ugly reviews (mine among them) but recent firmware updates have addressed all the major issues and it is shaping up to be a fine unit. About $170.

Thanks for the info StarBrand. I'll check out the Lowrance before I buy.

Looks like I'm late to the conversation and you've pretty much made your decision. I would have added that you'd probably be happy with any of the models mentioned. I think one advantage to the DeLormes is that they are in the process of implementing SD card support such that one can have as many geocaches available as SD memory will allow. I think the Garmins allow a large number of geocaches if loaded as POIs, but a smaller number of actual geocache waypoints.

Read more here.

Thanks for the Embra. The link was helpful!

I've been geocaching for about 3 months. I've used my TomTom until now but I'm very interested in moving to paperless caching so I need some advice.

I want to purchase a hangheld GPSr and here are my needs and don't-needs:

NEED

-paperless caching; gpx files

-i like touch screen but don't have to have it

-$200 to $300 price range

-a great geocaching GPSr

DON'T-NEED

-I don't need this to be the GPSr that I use to navigate roads on long trips or vacations. My TomTom is fine for that

-All the bells and whistles or the fanciest maps

I'd very much appreciate advice or guidance!

Before you make your choice I suggest that you go to a retail store and check out the various models. Each one has it's advantages and disadvantages. The Oregon's touch screen and ease of use is super. However, it's screen is not the brightest. The PN-40 has great maps and the price is right. However, it has a very small screen. REI is a great place to go, because they will let you try each one out.

OldA'sFan

Before you make your choice I suggest that you go to a retail store and check out the various models. Each one has it's advantages and disadvantages. The Oregon's touch screen and ease of use is super. However, it's screen is not the brightest. The PN-40 has great maps and the price is right. However, it has a very small screen. REI is a great place to go, because they will let you try each one out.

OldA'sFan

OldA'sFan, thanks for joining in. Do you own both these models? It would be great to talk to someone who did so we could get a sense of true comparison!

Hi. I see a mention of the small screen on the Delorme PN GPSr's and would like to address that concern. Yes, if you're comparing a Delome PN-30 or PN-40 to a Garmin Oregon the Delorme does have a smaller screen. However, to be fair to the Delorme's I'd like to point out that the size screen is about the same size as a Garmin eTres Vista HCx that lots of folks like to recommend as a great unit, and I've never seen a single person ever mention the Vista's screen size as being small or that the fonts are painfully small as one person on these forums has claimed. Yeah like I said it is a smaller screen than the Garmin paperless GPSr's, but it certainly is plenty big enough to see the same amount of detail as the highly recommended Garmin Vistas.

In case you're wondering I have owned a Garmin Vista within the last 9 months and I do currently own a Delorme PN-40 that is my main geocaching GPSr and I love my PN-40!!!! It's screen size in my opinion is just fine and I've got no complaints at all with the Delorme units. :rolleyes:

OldA'sFan

OldA'sFan, thanks for joining in. Do you own both these models? It would be great to talk to someone who did so we could get a sense of true comparison!

I've got an Oregon 200 and a Delorme PN30 (same as the PN40 minus altimeter and electronic compass).

There is a lot to like about both units but I do perfer theOregon over the PN30. The touchscreen interface is easy to learn and use. Loading geocaches is quick and requires no external software. It is rugged, has decent battery life and just feels comfortable in my hand.

I bought the PN30 because of the many fans around these forums. Its got some very nice features and the included maps are a huge bonus. It is very accurate in most conditions and was easy enough to figure out how to use after adjusting my thinking. I wanted to be able to highly recommend this unit but I just can't. Battery life is 50 to 60% of the Oregon, the cable for loading caches is unique and propritary, I have lost signal in some rough terrain and the battery cover is a bit akward. Admitedly none of those is a real big deal, but enough to keep me from being a highly enthusastic fan.

Edited by StarBrand

Hi. I see a mention of the small screen on the Delorme PN GPSr's and would like to address that concern. Yes, if you're comparing a Delome PN-30 or PN-40 to a Garmin Oregon the Delorme does have a smaller screen. However, to be fair to the Delorme's I'd like to point out that the size screen is about the same size as a Garmin eTres Vista HCx that lots of folks like to recommend as a great unit, and I've never seen a single person ever mention the Vista's screen size as being small or that the fonts are painfully small as one person on these forums has claimed. Yeah like I said it is a smaller screen than the Garmin paperless GPSr's, but it certainly is plenty big enough to see the same amount of detail as the highly recommended Garmin Vistas.

In case you're wondering I have owned a Garmin Vista within the last 9 months and I do currently own a Delorme PN-40 that is my main geocaching GPSr and I love my PN-40!!!! It's screen size in my opinion is just fine and I've got no complaints at all with the Delorme units. :rolleyes:

My first unit was a Vista HCx, which I liked very much. Unfortunately, it met an untimely death beneath the tire of my suv (long sad story). I decided to upgrade to the Oregon 300 (got it on sale at REI). I do not own a PN 40 or 30, so can't comment on them. However, I can compare the Oregon 300 to the Vista and I say loud and clear that screen size does make a differance (at least to me). . Keep in mind that while I had the Vista the screen size was not an issue. It became an issue after I compared it to the Oregon. I have no desire to go back to small screen.

OldA'sFan

I'm sure I'm a bit late to contribute here, but I just picked up a Magellan Triton 400 for half price and it does Paperless Caching. Something I never really understood until now, I think I may like that very much.

Incidentally, full retail price is only $169.00 ... well within your spending range. It comes with it's own Vantage Point program and I'm finding it to be pretty intuitive and easy enough to figure out.

Thought it might at least be worth checking into...

I've no experience with the Garmins... Yet. I have an eTrex Venture HC on order for my daughter so I'll be learning about that one too soon enough. I don't know if it'll do paperless caching yet, but I can report on that after we receive it. (first week in January)

No. If you use GSAK you can do something with POI, or by stuffing as much info as you can into the waypoint name and description, but you're limited to very few characters.