WAAS reception

I'm probably wrong but I was under the impression that the display on GPSr units only showed the orbiting satellites not the geostationary birds that relay the WAAS/EGNOS correction data from the ground stations.

It shows the WAAS satellite too, from memory that is the one without the D.

Rgds, Andy

From what I understand of WASS is that it is a ground based reference stations, for the purpose of increasing the accuracy of the GPSr. If you are not in the area of the reference stations, WASS is not available. Europe has a similar system called EGNOS, but I'm not sure how compatible the 2 systems are.

Edited

I should add WASS is only available in North and Central America, and war zones where US opperations are presently based. The UK has 3 EGNOS ground stations. Because EGNOS (and WASS) are aviation based you will find areas of the country where the quality is poor

Edited by Moote

That screen shot (below) was taken in my back garden (South Wales). I usually get either 39 (Indian Ocean) or 37 (Artemis) as they are quite close together orbit wise. On my Etrex the EGNOS satellite shows as an outlined bar, not filled in. Looking at your original screen shot it looks like you've had the EGNOS satellite, downloaded the information but then lost it. The D's are still showing from when you did have the lock. It can take 20 minutes or so sometimes to get the EGNOS satellite up. The Colorado does have a battery save mode when the batteries are on the way out. Not sure, but does it disable the WAAS setting at that point?

Chris (MrB)

eg2.jpg