Difference between grabbing and retrieving a Geocoin?

Migs

RETRIEVING is used to pick a traveler from a cache that has been placed there by being "dropped" into that cache.

GRABBING is a method of taking possession (virtually) of a traveler that has been "dropped" but unlogged -- use this with caution as it may have been dropped just moments before you got it. Sometimes too, the "dropper" needs a week or so to properly log the drop. When "grabbing", in the log note exactly where you grabbed it (cache or person).

Grabbing is also used to "hand transfer" a traveler from one person to another.

--------------

If it is your geocoin, no there is no requirement to travel.

If it is another's geocoin, yes you should move it as per its' mission (if possible, if not leave for the next cacher who can help it along).

If your question applies to simply keeping the (found) geocoin, no -- that is theft.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Yep, typically you Retrieve a coin from a cache and Grab when you take hand-off.

The confusion comes from the fact both the Retrieve and Grab option are offered when it is sitting in a cache. Both options will do the same thing.

And both terms can be used to mean the same thing.... post a log to take possession of a coin.

I appreciate you all's explanations. I'm a beginner and have just prepared my first two caches in Bolivia per the guidelines. I'm looking for nice swag to put inside and interesting locations. I put a geocoin in each, but am wondering what to put inside that will make the caches worthwhile when these have gone away. Is there such a thing as a coin that stays in it's cache? Or is <finding> the cache itself enough?

Again, thanks!

Migs

If you buy your own geocoins and activate them to your account you can put them into your own caches with the instruction that they are "resident" geocoins and should not be moved from your cache. We have four caches with resident geocoins in them, each coin is relevant to the style/location of the cache and they're there to be discovered only. Each one has been drilled and has a laminated label, "Please do not remove this geocoin from this cache".

e.g.

Nutnabber's geocoin.

LPC Resident geocoin.

MrsB

You should put swag that you think will appeal to the first few finders of your cache, maybe things you would like to find or things kids would like. Probably nothing too expensive, as finders will not be very likely to have expensive things with them to trade.

As cachers find your cache and make trades, the contents will change around, and that is fine. As the owner, you might check every once in a while that there are still a few items, you might refresh things once in a while.

Most adults don't worry too much about swag, if they want to swap they will. They are more interested in the find. Kids are sometimes into the goodies.

I appreciate you all's explanations. I'm a beginner and have just prepared my first two caches in Bolivia per the guidelines. I'm looking for nice swag to put inside and interesting locations. I put a geocoin in each, but am wondering what to put inside that will make the caches worthwhile when these have gone away. Is there such a thing as a coin that stays in it's cache? Or is <finding> the cache itself enough?

Again, thanks!

Migs

Yes, attaching a coin semi-permanently to a cache is do-able.

But more than expecting people to like your cache because there is a coin icon to be had make the cache itself memorable. There are nearly a million caches worldwide and the majority are totally unremarkable. Make yours the exception not the rule. Good camo, devious design, creative description.... make the hunt the fun part, not the stuff inside it. :)