[Newbie] Information about Garmin nuvi 205

Ghigu09

I have a Garmin nuvi 205.. is there any software for this gps o for pc for geocaching?

If you have the non widescreen version (the one with 3.5" screen) I don't think you can get to the satellite screen. That's the screen showing the position of the satellites, their signal strength, and (what you need) your current coordinates.

This page has a lot of tips and other info. This page has instructions on how to find geocaches with a Nuvi, with a workaround for the models without a satellite screen.

But to take full advantage of the macro, which provides paperless caching ability on your Nuvi (cache description, past logs, hints and so on) you need 3 things:

1. Premium account ($30/year)

2. Windows PC (if you're a Mac user, it'll probably cost you your soul)

3. GSAK ($25)

Edited by Chrysalides

I find it very useful to use the 205 to get me to the car park, then a basic handheld for the last bit. Neither device does everything but they work well together.

I agree with you basically... I do the same thing. Just want to add, though, that my ExPlorist500 with DirectRoute mapping CAN get me to the parking lot via street routing, and then to the cache by switching to point to point. I did that for a couple of years before I got the Nuvi. Now I have a widescreen Nuvi for the driving part, and a smaller one that I carry in the field in a hard case that I only turn if I'm stuck and need to read the cache page, previous logs, etc...

That a log ways from the ExPlorist 200 and reams of paper I started out with. Don't get me started about trying to navigate the Boston suburbs with only the pointy arrow to get me through the maze of former cow paths to the cache! ;)

If you have the non widescreen version (the one with 3.5" screen) I don't think you can get to the satellite screen. That's the screen showing the position of the satellites, their signal strength, and (what you need) your current coordinates.

My Garmin is Nuvi 205, no 205W. There is a possibility found a destination with a coordinates.

Another question....

If I insert the coordinates a cache on my Nuvi 205, and for example this cache is in a park, the Nuvi who usually follows the roads to travel by car .. can send me precisely in the park??

Or there is necessary tools or software for Nuvi?

Thanks!

PS: I'm newbie for geocaching! ;)

While I am not entirely familiar with the 205, I have the 265, what you need to do is see if you can set the GPS for "offroad" When it is in this mode you should also set it to "Pedestrian"

Try this.

Press "tools"

press "settings"

press the screen under "usage mode"

change to pedestrian.

say OK

Press "back"

press "navigation"

Press the menu under "route preference"

Change to "off road"

say OK

This should help you towards finding a cache. As you get closer to the cache you might to try and press the green band at the top of the screen. It might help you track down the distance away from the cache.

Hope this helps.

Scott

My Garmin is Nuvi 205, no 205W. There is a possibility found a destination with a coordinates.

Another question....

If I insert the coordinates a cache on my Nuvi 205, and for example this cache is in a park, the Nuvi who usually follows the roads to travel by car .. can send me precisely in the park??

Or there is necessary tools or software for Nuvi?

Thanks!

PS: I'm newbie for geocaching! ;)

There is a pedestrian mode in the 205. But it does not have a compass navigation screen, which along with short battery life, non field replaceable batteries and lack of water resistance make it a poor choice for geocaching.

There is a pedestrian mode in the 205. But it does not have a compass navigation screen, which along with short battery life, non field replaceable batteries and lack of water resistance make it a poor choice for geocaching.

Thanks for answer.

Actually not really suitable for Geocaching, but unfortunately I'm newbie in this game and the Nuvi 205 I've got a few years.

Are there software or tools for Nuvi 205 or pc for geocaching?

This page has a lot of tips and other info. This page has instructions on how to find geocaches with a Nuvi, with a workaround for the models without a satellite screen.

But to take full advantage of the macro, which provides paperless caching ability on your Nuvi (cache description, past logs, hints and so on) you need 3 things:

1. Premium account ($30/year)

2. Windows PC (if you're a Mac user, it'll probably cost you your soul)

3. GSAK ($25)

But if for the moment I do not want to become premium account (now I'm too newbie, i want to first learn well), what can i do?

Thanks!

Hi all!

I have a Garmin nuvi 205.. is there any software for this gps o for pc for geocaching?

Thanks!

I'm new to this too and I also have the Nuvi 205. While it's not the best for geocaching it still works decently. Just enter the coordinates (or download the plugin from the Garmin website [free] and upload the cache directly to the unit with a USB cable). BTW, when you use geocaching.com and you search for caches by map, click one of the caches and in the popup you'll see a link that says "Send to GPS". Thats how I upload them.

When you get to the location and the unit says 'Arriving at destination', at the top left it'll show the approximate feet to the location. When you're pretty close, go to the main menu and click Tools -> Where Am I?... This'll show you your exact coordinates, which you can use to reference against the target one.

I'm new to this too and I also have the Nuvi 205. While it's not the best for geocaching it still works decently. Just enter the coordinates (or download the plugin from the Garmin website [free] and upload the cache directly to the unit with a USB cable). BTW, when you use geocaching.com and you search for caches by map, click one of the caches and in the popup you'll see a link that says "Send to GPS". Thats how I upload them.

Sorry, but what is this plugin for Garmin? Have a link?

Sorry.. but i'm Italian and don't understand "BTW".. what is BTW?