how much whould you pay?

daveindeal

I am currantly producing a Handmade 100% recycled signature coin

it will be trackable and have a custom icon.

but im not sure how much to sell it for??

how much do people want to pay for a 100% handmade 100% recycled coin??

It is a 2inch x 8mm coin cast from 100% aluminium.

i have produced the coin 100% myself in my own home with products i have collected and recycled and have all been melted in a home built coal foundry and poured into handmade moulds.

The process of the coin started with a wax coin at the finished size. I then hand carved the image onto the wax.

The coin is then dipped in to a solution that covers it in a mixture of sand and glue to create a hard shell.

the coin is then buryed into sand and moulton aluminuim is poured into it, the wax melts and evaportaes and a solid aluminium coin fills the void from the wax, creating the coin.

the coin is then removed from the sand, the shell washed off and then the coin has been hand polished to a nice finish.

The coin has then been copied to make a mould consisiting of 2 pieces out of latex rubber. this mould is then used to create more wax coins.

The process of dipping and pouring continues.

after the coins have been polished the tracking numbers are to be hand engraved individualy onto each coin

the coin is a very simple design with my Monkey avatar on one side and "Track at Geocaching.com" on the other.

The 100% aluminuim has been supplied by friends, family, work colleges and even a few local shops.

it consists of cans, tins, bike frames, pistons etc. some of which have also been CITO form the edges of fields paths etc.

They are still in production and befor pre-sales are started i will have them finished and photographed and also by then a price.

it looks like it going to cost about £2.50 - £4 ($4 - $6.50 ) to be sent oversea's via royal mail to USA/Canada/etc.

I have been doing the process for over a month and have been doing it single handed.

Edited by daveindeal

Main text updated for information and also submitted coin that has been authorised.

Image authorised by GC.com to give a trackable #

3eba9e88-62d5-4aa2-af51-670955e65995.jpg

icon

1ed016ec-63a2-40ad-af6e-dd31d6335480.jpg

I will submitt a few pictures soon of the coins that have already been produced and so far have 20 wax copies awaiting casting.

i plan on the first run being 50 but depending on success/failure this could be more (but not less as 50 is the minimum order for trackable items)

How much would I want to pay? As little as possible of course but that's not practical. You have your expenses and the time you put into the project so it's really up to you to decide how much you need.

Edit to add: Why not check out previously made homemade geocoins both of the trackable and non trackable variety to see what the price range was? The Tiki coins were my all time faves and even though they were not trackable they were reasonably priced.

Edited by Droo

Ok from your discription I am guessing that this will not have any type of enamel or color, just the plain aluminum color? I would not pay more than $6.00 USD for it. With the current economy that is still a high estimate. My personal coin once done is will run around $12.00 USD but it has cut outs and dangles plus it has enameled colors.

I hope this doesn't offend you...

I'm starting to get a feeling that you are trying to please the wrong people in your creations. I'm a little disappointed. I think your first idea was the best, but you seemed to abandon a great design simply because a few people wouldn't want to buy it. It's my feeling that the best aproach to creating art is to go from your gut, and what FEELS right to you, not what you think people will buy for a higher price. If your intent is to start a business then that's different, but I thought you were making a personal coin to represent yourself.

To answer the question outright, I would expect a coin like that to sell for about the same price as other coins($5-$12), and it should be your goal to be able to produce your product so that it can be sold at a compettitive price.

I don't think that image has nearly the same impact as the original color version, and don't really like it in this format.

hello daveindeal

i have my home foundry with a gaz oven and another one electrique.

i did lost wax technique and it's expensive.

i did my homemade geocoin (upik nuannertoq) with a lot of detail, 100 coin.

with the materiel (crucible, polishing kit,gaz,ceramic shell, petrobond,clear, laser graving......),my time and the activation code; the prize of the coin is expensive :)

i sell it for 20$ shipping included and i don't make $, still some coin left.

my next geocoin( the beluga ?) a do 50 coin, because it's too much work and i dont want stay with it.

the price gone be lower too.

ungaze your recycling aluminum because you gone have some bubble in your coin.

keep one coin for me.

bye

michel

On this coin, since you are selling it, you'll probably still need to put the "Monkey Butt" wording somewhere on the geocoin. You should check on that, since you already have their permission to use it. You're still using their image. I agree with WSR, you have to please yourself first, before you worry about what a few people have to say.