Vista HCX Update Assistance Request

I sent my Vista HCx in to be exchanged for a refurbished model. Previously I had City Navigator 2008 NT installed on it and my computer in MapSource. When I went to the MyGarmin site I was offered a one time update to City Navigator 2010. I downloaded it and installed to my computer. In MapSource I now have City Navigator 2008 NT and City Navigator 2010.3 NT. I have three questions:

Do I need to create a Mapset that includes both versions of City Navigator to get the most complete coverage?

I also have Topo 2008 and Topo US West 24k. Is there any benefit to including both of these in the mapset?

It's been awhile since I have used MapSource and after a couple of long tests it appears that I can only transfer one mapset to the Vista. It apparently erases the previous mapset. I assume I have to create one mapset with both the City Navigator Maps and Topo maps I want included and transfer this to Vista. Is this correct?

Thanks for any assistance.

Edited by Oregon*Trail

I got the same thing when I sent in my 60csx for replacement. You are going to have to choose all of the maps, topo and navigator, that you want to install onto your sd card. Once you have chosen all the maps yo want you can then download them. I am just using the newest version of navigator and my topo.

I got the same thing when I sent in my 60csx for replacement. You are going to have to choose all of the maps, topo and navigator, that you want to install onto your sd card. Once you have chosen all the maps yo want you can then download them. I am just using the newest version of navigator and my topo.

Thank you. One more question: Does anyone have a recomendation for how much room to leave available on a 4GB card for saved tracks, etc.? I have no idea how much room they take up. I am using for SAR and need to be able to save tracks.

Edited by Oregon*Trail

Thank you. One more question: Does anyone have a recomendation for how much room to leave available on a 4GB card for saved tracks, etc.? I have no idea how much room they take up. I am using for SAR and need to be able to save tracks.

On my Nuvi 500 I have City 2010 and 2008 Topo installed. It has 3GB built in memory and with all of the US installed I still have almost 1GB left over.

Thanks. I'm wondering how much room I should leave available on the card for the storage of tracks? Can a lot of tracks be stored if I left say 200mb free?

To give you an idea, I have had my Vista HCx since last Christmas time. I've used it for hiking, geocaching, and biking (road and mountain). My card has 194 tracks recorded to it, one for each day I've turned it on. They occupy 11MB of space. The tracks range in size from 1KB to about 430KB. I'd guess the average is about 80KB, which is close to 11MB/194 files. Today I hiked 2.67 miles with my dog for just over an hour. That track is 80KB.

You do NOT have to have both versions of City Navigator installed.

Unless you have a very specific reason for doing so, it's a complete waste of time and space.

Your Vista will work just fine with a combination of CNNA 2010.3 and the topo segments you need.

You can leave CNNA 2008 on the PC if you want, but there's no need to try to stuff it onto the Vista along with 2010. 2010.3 is complete by itself.

...ken...

You do NOT have to have both versions of City Navigator installed.

Unless you have a very specific reason for doing so, it's a complete waste of time and space.

Your Vista will work just fine with a combination of CNNA 2010.3 and the topo segments you need.

You can leave CNNA 2008 on the PC if you want, but there's no need to try to stuff it onto the Vista along with 2010. 2010.3 is complete by itself.

...ken...

Thanks. The reason I was thinking about installing CNNA 2008 is because in MapSource the vs. of CNNA 2010.3 shows several cities in the left hand pane when I select maps. It does not show each state. For example it has Eugene, OR and Portland OR but not Oregon like the 2008 software does. It was a free upgrade. Do you think it is complete? It's about a gig when you select it all, similar to the 2008.

Edited by Oregon*Trail

Those are just the names Navteq has chosen for those particular map segments. They don't mean anything.

If it will make you feel more comfortable, select all of 2008 and make a note of the number of maps and the size. Then clear that and select all of 2010.3 and compare the number of maps and the size to 2008. Both numbers should be the same or larger in 2010.3

I don't have 2008 but I have 2009. Here are my numbers:

2009NT - 74 maps - 1099.5 MB

2010.1NT update - 123 maps - 1133.0 MB

For what it's worth, the map segment names in 2009 are still mainly state related names. In 2010.1 they change the naming to a combination of some state names and a lot of city names for the segments.

...ken...

Those are just the names Navteq has chosen for those particular map segments. They don't mean anything.

If it will make you feel more comfortable, select all of 2008 and make a note of the number of maps and the size. Then clear that and select all of 2010.3 and compare the number of maps and the size to 2008. Both numbers should be the same or larger in 2010.3

For what it's worth, the map segment names in 2009 are still mainly state related names. In 2010.1 they change the naming to a combination of some state names and a lot of city names for the segments.

...ken...

2010.10 123 maps 1133.0 MB

2010.30 136 maps 1244.5 MB This includes Mexico

...ken...

2010.10 123 maps 1133.0 MB

2010.30 136 maps 1244.5 MB This includes Mexico

Yep! You are correct. I only need 2010.3 and the topo 24K. The old stuff is just that. Thanks for your help.

Yep, you can mix and match pretty much whatever you want. On my Legend HCx I currently have a mapset that contains some City Navigator North America, all of Metroguide Canada, some Ibycus Canadian topo and a bit of Topo Canada, plus two ATV trail overlay maps. Saves having to worry about whether I'll have what I need when I get wherever I'm going (which I'm not always sure of). ;)

...ken...