Noobie here, how bout a poll on gps?

stormhunter1985

Just curious (as I'm sure lots of us noobies are) as to what kind of gps we're all using. I'll try and keep track of the popularity, and repost to this thread with a toll count by brand name, and maybe model.

I have a TomTom XL myself, don't know about my success yet. Pretty much a total novice at this. But I'm VERY excited about it!!

Thanks for any input.

Well, I've been caching for about 14 months and started out with a Magellan eXplorist, then a Garmin eTrex Vista HCx and my last upgrade was to a Delorme PN-40. I have to agree with Starbrand that generally it's not the GPSr that determines whether I log a Found It or a DNF log. A GPSr can get me right to ground zero, but that won't guarantee that this half blind old man can make the find. As far as my DNF rate goes it really fluctuates from day to day, but on average I'd guess I DNF about 1 out of every 5 or 6 caches. It's a good thing this is a very informal game or compared to lots I'd be not doing so good. Even though my DNF rate is probably higher than most experienced cachers I still have a blast caching and don't plan on stopping anytime soon! Welcome to the game!!! :unsure:

Wow, didn't see that thread before I posted mine...... briefly looking through that, looks like most of us have either Garmin, or Magellan, very few TomToms, I think I'm beginning to see why, had it for about a year for my job, it's been great planning my daily routes, but I'm not liking it so much for caching, once I get out of my truck, it doesn't follow my location very well as I'm walking.

Now I'm thinking bout getting a Garmin or Magellan handheld.

:unsure:

I could be wrong, but Tom Tom doesn't make a Hand held GPSr, do they? I thought they only made the Car Type GPSr's that work wonderfully for Road Directions.

I have two Magellan GPSr's. The eXplorist 210 for caching and the Roadmate 1200 for the car. Two totally different units, each serving well for their intended purposes. I found that the eXplorist 210 was useless for the car travels so I bought the Roadmate 1200 some time later. I've never bothered to try the Roadmate for geocaching.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This post looks like it could come off as being a smartass, but I assure you that is not my intention. I'm just trying to clarify that indeed there are TWO different types of GPS units for their own different uses.

For geocaching I use Groundspeak's $10 application for my iPhone :) It's the latest iPhone and has been getting me to GZ very nicely. I do lose signal in rural areas but I have only been caching for about a month so have tons of caches I haven't found yet in great signal areas :) It's a bit sluggish under thick tree cover but eventually gets with the program :) I'm a BIG gadget girl so have been eyeballing the various hand held Garmins but can't justify it at this point. Especially with all the neat benefits of the iPhone app - ability to push "nearest caches" button no matter where I am (restaurant, shopping, errands, out of town, etc), logging finds and searching travel bugs/coins right on the app, surfing on geocaching.com if I need to. I've just bought myself a very protective case and holster for the iPhone for leaping over creeks with peace of mind :)

For my car I have a NUVI. Am currently using a medieval two year old version but just ordered myself a new NUVI on Black Friday - online Amazon special. I'm assuming it's going to be as unhelpful for geocaching as my old NUVI was :)

Edited by Opalblade

Just for the record - I don't think the model/brand of GPS unit correlates very well to "success" rate

True. The GPSr is just a small part of the equation.

I was unable to find a medium-sized ammo can hidden in a 2-foot radius of GZ. The model of GPS had nothing to do with it. My team-mate stretched out his arms for effect, saying “it’s got to be right in this area”. Shortly thereafter, he announced “you found it a few seconds ago”. Regardless of fancy gadgets, once you’re within 20 feet, it’s mostly up to you.

I’ve team-cached with a guy who has a Garmin60Csx, I have an Oregon 550. Mine seems slightly less accurate among large trees, but its “paperless caching” feature has saved the day several times (having logs and hints on hand).

A good team is useful. My teammate is analytical and can do the math puzzles in his head. But I’m imaginative, and can find clues he wouldn’t see (Coords written on a wall? That’s not “proper”, so he doesn’t look there).

Edited by kunarion

For geocaching I use Groundspeak's $10 application for my iPhone :) It's the latest iPhone and has been getting me to GZ very nicely. I do lose signal in rural areas but I have only been caching for about a month so have tons of caches I haven't found yet in great signal areas :) It's a bit sluggish under thick tree cover but eventually gets with the program :) I'm a BIG gadget girl so have been eyeballing the various hand held Garmins but can't justify it at this point. Especially with all the neat benefits of the iPhone app - ability to push "nearest caches" button no matter where I am (restaurant, shopping, errands, out of town, etc), logging finds and searching travel bugs/coins right on the app, surfing on geocaching.com if I need to. I've just bought myself a very protective case and holster for the iPhone for leaping over creeks with peace of mind :)

For my car I have a NUVI. Am currently using a medieval two year old version but just ordered myself a new NUVI on Black Friday - online Amazon special. I'm assuming it's going to be as unhelpful for geocaching as my old NUVI was :)

You may want to buy a regular handheld so that you don't lose reception in the woods during the spring/summer/fall days. You will hit alot of trees and poor gps signal which your phone may lose coverage in.

I started out trying to cache with the Tom Tom Go series and quickly became discouraged!

You will realize as I did that this style Gps unit is not suited for caching because it doesn't refresh often enough. You could actually be +/- 100 feet (or more) off from GZ at any time!

I followed the same path as many do, they get on the forums and read, and ask the questions!

The Gps that I'm using is the Garmin GPSMaps 60Csx. This model definitely has extra features, (most of which I'm not familiar with). :blink:

I've been at this for almost two years and have yet to be dissatisfied with this unit. It is a little bit pricey, but I felt that I wanted to get something that I could grow into.

Enjoy! :laughing:

I also have the Garmin 60CSx... I've only owned mine for 5 days now & have found alot of caches in the last 4 days...

It's fairly easy to use for a newb...

This is my first unit to own, so I don't have anything to compare it to, but if I had to buy another, it'd be ANOTHER Garmin of some sort, possibly the 60CSx again...

I purchased mine from Bass Pro for 299.00...

My main purpose for buying a GPS, was for fishing... This unit just gives me another option when I'm not on the water...

Now, I just need to find caches that are water/marine driven...

I use a Magellan Triton 400.

I am still pretty new and have been geocaching casually.

So my finds are not huge by any means.

This is my first gps ever, so I have nothing to compare it to.

I haven't had any problems with it.

But any GPSr will get you to GZ...the rest is left up to you.

Edited by mud4x4