Which GPS?

We have tagged along on 1 geocache trip and loved it

Wanna buy one now but are clueless, our ONLY use for the unit would be geocaching

I was told on another thread that the 60csx @ $249 was the way to go

I see the following hblack friday specials:

Garmin oregon 200 unit $199

Garmin summit Hc bundle with TOPO map dvd--199

Garmin venture Hc with TOPO dvd--150

Any help is appreciated!

I vote for the Oregon.

I'd have to agree with Red, for that price the Oregon is a no brainer. If you can afford the additional $50 then bump that to the 300 if you can but having the 200 myself, I know you'll love it. Lot's and lot's of FREE software that's everybit as good as the commercial stuff available for it. Easy to use, paperless caching, great touchscreen. Go 'fer it pardner!!

N

The 60csx has near cult status among many. It is definitely an excellent GPSr. However, I find that its feature set is somewhat aged. I find the higher resolution and larger display of the Oregon, with the ability to view cache details and log my attempt, outweighs the (claimed by many) higher accuracy and lower resolution but brighter display of the 60csx.

If you promise only to use the GPS for geocaching, I vote for the Venture HC. They only run $105 without the Topo maps. It's a no-frills sturdy and proven unit. Excellent for a 1st timer to get started 'cause I guarantee that if you decide to remain a devout geocacher, you'll be upgrading past any of these GPS' within a year. At that point the Venture becomes a dependable back-up unit.

If you promise only to use the GPS for geocaching, I vote for the Venture HC. They only run $105 without the Topo maps. It's a no-frills sturdy and proven unit. Excellent for a 1st timer to get started 'cause I guarantee that if you decide to remain a devout geocacher, you'll be upgrading past any of these GPS' within a year. At that point the Venture becomes a dependable back-up unit.

I agree. As a first time unit just getting into the game, I would go with the Venture HC. You can still download maps for free that will help you out. You will need to either print out the cache pages, get a PDA for paperless, or utilize an Iphone or Ipod touch for paperless also.

Good luck.