Challenge Caches

hat_man

A challenge cache requires you to do some sore of challenge before you can actually find this cache and get a smiley.

Some idea's of a challenge;

Fizzies either 81 or mini's, 81 are getting a cache in every diff/terr rating. mini's are getting a cache find in every terr rating for a specific diff level.

Alphabet - logging finds on a cache that names start with each letter or alphabet.

Get the idea?

Do a cache search with the word "challenge" and be prepared for a big list.

Edited by GPS Derek

There are a ton over here in Indiana, the Challenge of the Century Caches, there is a new one out that you have to have cached every day of the year(not in the same year) including the leap year. Every state has the DeLorme Challenge, a county challenge and so on, its just a question of finding them.

Yes challenge caches are technically ARL's, we have discussed this in the forum before. Sorry I can't find the thread or I would post a link. Most get around this by making them mystery caches.

I'm having a lot of fun working on the New York DeLorme Challenge, but a question just occurred to me. Why are these challenge caches not considered ALRs?

They are not ALR's because you have to do the challenge part PRIOR to finding the final cache. ALR's you find the cache and then do something additional before you can log them.

I'm having a lot of fun working on the New York DeLorme Challenge, but a question just occurred to me. Why are these challenge caches not considered ALRs?

They are not ALR's because you have to do the challenge part PRIOR to finding the final cache. ALR's you FIND the cache and then do something additional before you can log them.

That seems to be a valid reasoning, but not exactly accurate. Many challenge caches specifically state that you can find the cache (and even log a note), but cannot LOG the find until the challenge is met (some specifically allowing for your previous note to be changed to a find).

Unfortunatley, Groundspeak guidelines address the matter of challenge caches, but make NO reference to how they relate to the matter of addional logging requirements. Later in the guidelines, they indicated how additional logging requirements are not permitted (indicating that this applies to "all physical caches"), but then make no mention of how they prohibition applies to or exempts challenge caches. Apparently reviewers have been given some more specific guidance than is contained in the published guidelines.

Why are these challenge caches not considered ALRs?
There was discussion about the inconsistency when the revised guidelines came out, so you aren't the first person to notice it.

Anyway, challenge caches involve "a reasonable geocaching-related qualification", and seem to be an exception to the general policy against ALRs as requirements. (ALRs as optional requests are fine.)

So if you want people to complete a task that meets the requirements for a challenge cache, then you can list it as a mystery/puzzle cache and completing the challenge can be mandatory. But if the task doesn't meet the requirements for a challenge cache, then it's considered an ALR, and it must be optional.

A Challenge cache asks you to find a certain set of caches in order to complete the challenge-geographic/alphabetic/historic/D&T ratings/etc.

Once you find those caches you can log a find on the challenge cache.

An ALR is anything else, often non caching related that you were supposed to do after you found the cache and before you could log the find.

Many states i'm sure have bookmark lists for challenge caches in their state.

Here's the one for WA state

http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.a...15-f4cffc58cd00

To find one in your own state, look up a challenge cache in your state on the bookmark list the previous poster listed, and go to that cache.

Look on the list of bookmarks for that cache, and if it's listed on the bookmark list for your state there will be a link to your state bookmark list there.

Have fun!!

Cache on!!!