Get a Premium Membership!

I geocahced for a year without a premium membership to the site. The price seemed like just a bit too much. I considered it every once and a while but never pulled the trigger. A year later, after much debate, I decided to pull the trigger and try it. Let me say it has been well worth it.

1.) Pocket Queries is by far the most useful asset of the premium membership. There are (what seems like) endless options to choose from and narrow down the exact caches you want, everything from the type of cache, size, difficulty, the whole 9 yards!

2.) Premium only caches. It is nice to have access to premium member caches, and opens up the possibility for more caches on a specific run as well as simply more options in general.

3.) It supports the site we all love! So why not help the sport progress, right????

The bottom line is this: For anyone who is sitting on the fence or even just thinks it isn't worth it, I was in your shoes once, and let me say that upgrading was WELL worth it.

How can you tell if a cache is premium only? I downloaded about 26 about 7 miles from my home and when I got there, each time I pulled up a cache, it would not give me a description, but talked about premium membership. That happened on all 5 caches I found the same day in that area.

How can you tell if a cache is premium only? I downloaded about 26 about 7 miles from my home and when I got there, each time I pulled up a cache, it would not give me a description, but talked about premium membership. That happened on all 5 caches I found the same day in that area.

You will see this icon small_profile.gif beside the cache type icon.

Edit : I'm referring to the search result list on the main website. Are you using the iPhone app or something?

Edited by Chrysalides

I think it goes much deeper then being able to get the Members only caches, if you are a premium membership. Groundspeak has gone to a lot of expense, and energy to bring us this great site, and application for our enjoyment, and continue to be pro-active for the sites future, and I feel obligated to support it since I'm using it on a regular bases. I would feel that I'm "FREELOADING" by not paying the fee they charge a year, which I think is very reasonable. JMO

ScubaSonic

You will see this icon small_profile.gif beside the cache type icon.

Edit : I'm referring to the search result list on the main website. Are you using the iPhone app or something?

No, I've got a Colorado 400t. I am a bit concerned that maybe I'm not downloading right. Going to Wisconsin this weekend and want to make sure I'll get the description if I download that area.

No, I've got a Colorado 400t. I am a bit concerned that maybe I'm not downloading right. Going to Wisconsin this weekend and want to make sure I'll get the description if I download that area.

Since you're a premium member to start with, I suspect it is because you're downloading the LOC instead of the GPX. Maybe a description of how you're downloading the caches to your Colorado will help with the troubleshooting.

Since you're a premium member to start with, I suspect it is because you're downloading the LOC instead of the GPX. Maybe a description of how you're downloading the caches to your Colorado will help with the troubleshooting.

I did a PQ for the Zip in Wisconsin, found 25 to download, then couldn't figure out how to download all at once so had to do it individually. The former problem was that because I wasn't a premium member, I didn't get any of the description of the others I had downloaded. (bought the GPS from an individual who downloaded a bunch for me to start off). So, yes, premium is the way to go!

I did a PQ for the Zip in Wisconsin, found 25 to download, then couldn't figure out how to download all at once so had to do it individually. The former problem was that because I wasn't a premium member, I didn't get any of the description of the others I had downloaded. (bought the GPS from an individual who downloaded a bunch for me to start off). So, yes, premium is the way to go!

Guess this is getting rather far off topic, perhaps a search or a new thread can help. The only way to download PQ results is to schedule them to run, have them emailed to you, then download it from your email once it arrives. Rather cumbersome, but no alternative unfortunately.

I think it goes much deeper then being able to get the Members only caches, if you are a premium membership. Groundspeak has gone to a lot of expense, and energy to bring us this great site, and application for our enjoyment, and continue to be pro-active for the sites future, and I feel obligated to support it since I'm using it on a regular bases. I would feel that I'm "FREELOADING" by not paying the fee they charge a year, which I think is very reasonable. JMO

ScubaSonic

Me too. It took me about two weeks to decide to pay for a premium membership, and I didn't really even understand what the benefits were. I didn't use PQ's for another year or so. I think the crude mapping system from the cache page was better with a membership, but really I just wanted to support the site.