Can't download more than 1 PQ to Oregon

John SKP

Simple answer

Why use GSAK

there is no need

just unzip the pq from gc and drag it to the directory via windows explorer and drop it in the GPX subfile

When you load with GSAK all you corrected coordinates for puzzle caches are automatically on your unit. It also lets me manipulate and load certain type of caches if needed. Sometimes I use sometimes I do not. It is not needed if you just want a straigt PQ.

Simple answer

Why use GSAK

there is no need

just unzip the pq from gc and drag it to the directory via windows explorer and drop it in the GPX subfile

easy:

GSAK wipes the HTML-tags from cache descriptions. HTML-tags can't be parsed using an Oregon. This makes formatted cache descriptions much easier to read.

Edited by llama-power

go to reset and reset waypoints then drag the files over to your garmin, i have about 1000 caches stored plus waypoints and this only takes up 56%

???

That really has nothing to do with the Geocaching functions on the Oregon. It can hold a max of 2000 caches with details spread over a max of 200 GPX files. Waypoints are a different matter entirely and neither has much to do with available memory.

go to reset and reset waypoints then drag the files over to your garmin, i have about 1000 caches stored plus waypoints and this only takes up 56%

???

That really has nothing to do with the Geocaching functions on the Oregon. It can hold a max of 2000 caches with details spread over a max of 200 GPX files. Waypoints are a different matter entirely and neither has much to do with available memory.

all geocaches are stored as waypoints on the device, this is what i was told when i queried the number stored and was told to do what i said above and it works.

???

all geocaches are stored as waypoints on the device, this is what i was told when i queried the number stored and was told to do what i said above and it works.

No, wayponts are separate to geocaches. There are three main sets of locations an Oregon can store.. (for the x00 units) these are 2,000 geocaches (gpx files on unit or card under :/Garmin/GPX folder), 1,000 waypoints and (essentially) unlimited POI.

with all due respect i think you are missing my point, yes i know geocaches are stored as .gpx files and are different to waypoints. but once you store these on the unit the unit finds them and stores them somehow in the memory. if you install say 0001.gpx and 0002.gpx onto your device and delete both then reinstall 0001.gpx and remove it say a day later and re added it, deleted and readded it the unit will claim you will be at your limit of 2000 ( i have had this and couldnt understand after a week of updating it daily why i had hit a 2000 limit with only 500 caches stored in one pq). The way to stop this is to do the following:

go to setup

touch reset

delete all waypoints and click yes.

all your geocaches will still be there if the .gpx file hasnt been deleted but it will clear the waypoint space taken up by the .gpx files and go back to 0% full, i know this works as ive just done this as ive typed it and started at 56% full at the start and am now on 0% full, yet all my caches that are stored in .gpx are still there both in the geocaching menu and when you view the map.

hth

with all due respect i think you are missing my point, yes i know geocaches are stored as .gpx files and are different to waypoints. but once you store these on the unit the unit finds them and stores them somehow in the memory.

Yup

if you install say 0001.gpx and 0002.gpx onto your device and delete both then reinstall 0001.gpx and remove it say a day later and re added it, deleted and readded it the unit will claim you will be at your limit of 2000 ( i have had this and couldnt understand after a week of updating it daily why i had hit a 2000 limit with only 500 caches stored in one pq).

hth

Still seems weird. The unit should reload a new / modified gpx file even if same name at reboot. I do that all the time, never had duplicates stored like that. Are you rebooting the Oregon after deleting and readding? Oregon x00? Using a Mac to transfer the GPX file ( http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Computer+Transfer#toc10 )? Are they real geocache gpx files, from GSAk / PQs, not waypoint GPX files?

I can't download more than 1 PQ to my Oregon 300. When I send the second PQ it wipes out the first PQ. I am able to download 2 PQ's to my Etrex Vista HCX. I am sending them through GSAK>GPS>send waypoints

I found my answer over at the GSAK forum. On the right side of the 'Send Waypoints to GPS' page under File Name:

Change the default file name to something different each time if you want your Geocaches accumulated rather than overridden: