Allegheny GeoTrail Program

PeachyPA

For those of you who have been scrambling to finish your ten county Allegheny GeoTrail caches for coins, the program has been extended until June 30, 2010.

I just got my Clarion County coin today; Jefferson County office was out of coins, will have to go back for that one.

Thats excellent news! Really had fun with the Allegheny GeoTrail, especially some of those caches which are in WMAs allowing for some nice caching by moonlight :lol: Would be nice for other states and counties to pick up similar programs as I am sure its good for local businesses - all geocachers need gas, food, and lodging :)

Thats excellent news! Really had fun with the Allegheny GeoTrail, especially some of those caches which are in WMAs allowing for some nice caching by moonlight :laughing: Would be nice for other states and counties to pick up similar programs as I am sure its good for local businesses - all geocachers need gas, food, and lodging :)

Cattaraugus County in New York, which borders McKean and Warren Counties in Pennsylvania, started a geotrail this year. Half of the caches came out this year and half are coming out next year. There is a designated cache in each municipality you need to find. When you find that cache you can send for a wooden nickel. Once you have collected all 32 wooden nickels you are eligible to receive your geocoin.

Enchanted Mountains Geotrail

Sounds interesting. I know we had a blast doing the AGTs, now we will have to check this one out.

Thats excellent news! Really had fun with the Allegheny GeoTrail, especially some of those caches which are in WMAs allowing for some nice caching by moonlight :P Would be nice for other states and counties to pick up similar programs as I am sure its good for local businesses - all geocachers need gas, food, and lodging ;)

Cattaraugus County in New York, which borders McKean and Warren Counties in Pennsylvania, started a geotrail this year. Half of the caches came out this year and half are coming out next year. There is a designated cache in each municipality you need to find. When you find that cache you can send for a wooden nickel. Once you have collected all 32 wooden nickels you are eligible to receive your geocoin.

Enchanted Mountains Geotrail

Happen to be in Delaware for the Thanksgiving Holiday and attempted the Geotrail without much success. Two of the caches we tried near Wilmington were closed due to the holidays since the land is owned by Dupont. The guards to the park had no idea about the Geotrail either... quite odd. Like the AGT Geotrail much better as most (if not all) caches were accessible 24/7 and without the need to pay any admission fees, etc. Starting working on one of the Maryland series while in the area instead.

Happen to be in Delaware for the Thanksgiving Holiday and attempted the Geotrail without much success. Two of the caches we tried near Wilmington were closed due to the holidays since the land is owned by Dupont. The guards to the park had no idea about the Geotrail either... quite odd. Like the AGT Geotrail much better as most (if not all) caches were accessible 24/7 and without the need to pay any admission fees, etc. Starting working on one of the Maryland series while in the area instead.

Ended up working on the Ranger Challenge in Maryland and had fun exploring the various parks and local brewpubs when the sun went down. Must say the caches in Prince George's County were generally much better than those in Montgomery County as they involved more bushwhacking / longer hikes, etc.

FWIW, I did all of the Delaware Geotrails and there was not a single one I had to pay money for. They were all free.

As for the AGT, I did a bunch that were closed at night; so not open 24/7.

FWIW, I did all of the Delaware Geotrails and there was not a single one I had to pay money for. They were all free.

As for the AGT, I did a bunch that were closed at night; so not open 24/7.

For the AGT, think we noticed that there were at least 6 (bare minimal requirements) open at night for each county, ie, either easy roadsides or in WMA areas that were open at night. Delaware series is convenient when we are there visiting for Thanksgiving or Christmas but not so convenient as the private lands are closed for the Holidays :<

Thats excellent news! Really had fun with the Allegheny GeoTrail, especially some of those caches which are in WMAs allowing for some nice caching by moonlight :laughing: Would be nice for other states and counties to pick up similar programs as I am sure its good for local businesses - all geocachers need gas, food, and lodging :laughing:

Armstrong County, PA has a similar program (albeit much smaller scale) in the works. I think the plan is spring or early summer to launch their GeoTrail. I'm looking forward to it. And I wouldn't mind getting to some of the AGT as well.