Crazy compass on my Garmin 60csx

Is anybody else having trouble with thier compass on a Garmen 60csx? I have to recalibrate it at every cache! I discoverd that the compass seems to lock up when I plug it into the car power cord between caches. It seems to work better when I do not use the car power adapter and just let it run on the batteries. Is thier possibly a fix for this?

It seems to work better when I do not use the car power adapter and just let it run on the batteries. Is thier possibly a fix for this?

Yep. Just let it run on the batteries.

How long are your caching trips? I'm pretty sure the batteries will last at least a day, so why bother with the power adaptor?

(Ok- unless you're using it at night and want the backlight to stay on....)

Are you turning the compass off (press and hold 'page' button to switch compass on/off) after you are in your vehicle? With the compass on, the gps needs to be flat and relatively level. In the off position the gps can be placed verticle since it will then be reading info from the sattelites for orientation.

You may also log into Garmin and check for updates to your GPS.

my 60 csx compass has to be calibrated if i power off the unit no biggie to me but annoying to many. I have seen several say they just shut it off. I also find that making sure the gps is being held level helps. Idno I guess for me I look at it like this, when I get close to ground zero ( being an impatient unmedicated ADHD 30 yr old) it is nice to have to stop for 15 or 20 secs to calibrate the compass as it lets the gpsr get a better location on itself if I make sure I do so with a clear or relatively clear view of the sky. This helps me slow down just a little and make sure I am where the coordinates actually are instead of trapezing all over always a few seconds ahead of my gps and chasing my own tail.

Is anybody else having trouble with thier compass on a Garmen 60csx? I have to recalibrate it at every cache! I discoverd that the compass seems to lock up when I plug it into the car power cord between caches. It seems to work better when I do not use the car power adapter and just let it run on the batteries. Is thier possibly a fix for this?

What batteries are you using? Any chance the battery type setting doesn't match the type of batteries you're actually using?