Tread Lightly

XMTSpot

:)

I could continue, but my point is that most, if not all, of these alarmist posts are generally imaginative, and not for the most part, based on reality. I'm sure there are exceptions, but they are hardly the norm in my experience, and in the experience of my fellow cachers. The destruction of real objects in the pursuit of geocaches hardly tops the topics of conversation at our local events, although certain Oregon cachers certainly may have a different reality.

The topic was not presented at the only regional gathering I attended either. All was positive talk. Why would anyone want to discuss those "bad" cachers? It's not productive since those cachers probably wasn't at the event anyhow.

Having said that, I and my caching friend, have both noticed that there is an undue amount of destruction at many GZ locations including, and not limited to, the removal of electrical safety covers.

I have NEVE heard of a cache inside of an aluminum light pole so there should be no reason to remove any of the covers but, often, we find them removed.

Can we PROVE that geocachers did it? Of course we can't but the evidence is overwhelming.

I believe you are no longer qualified to comment since you admitted to having never seen a cache inside of an aluminum light pole.

Just kidding, of COURSE!)

See, it all works out as long as you state that you are just kidding. Oh yeah... you already knew that trick, didn't you?

Just kidding, of COURSE! I'm just a big kidder and really love ya, Bittsen! :D

Now, back to the topic at hand... next event you attend, ask around a bit. See how many cachers would remove the cover to an electrical box. Of those that might say yes, see how many would not bother to replace it once they discovered it to be real. Based upon my experience, it simply does not happen, or if it does in your area, you might have a single perp that needs a serious education. But this is NOT a pandemic situation.

Edited by knowschad
It's sort of like how people who have never had a child should not tell people how to raise a child.

Maybe, maybe not. But that wasn’t the case here.

Nothing about Knowschad or his statements makes him any less "qualified" to express his opinion than you.

Knowschad expressed his perfectly valid opinion on 'treading lightly' within nature. You happened to disagree, but instead of merely challenging his statements you chose to challenge his very right to express his statements.

That is something I cannot accept. Disagreeing with someone is fine, but don’t tell him his viewpoint has any less right to be posted than yours.

I think you owe Knowschad an apology.

I step away for one day..

..."god made ME too" is the exact human ego that has ruined our planet in the first place. ...

The truth that man is natural and part of the world has nothing whatsoever to do with the rest of your assertion. If you want a hope in hell of actually changing mans place in the world (and I hope you do) you need to stop, think, and understand why we as a race, are where we are. Then be ready to fight and die for it becuse nothing short of that persistance and perserverence will ever get the job done.

However you can argue about a fake birds nest in a forum if you like.

... Yet this myth persists, a "truism" handed down from generation to generation. Its origins may lie in the fact that human scent can be disruptive to birds' nesting success. It is not birds, it is mammalian predators that follow scents, and if you approach a nest too often, or too closely, you may well be leading a predator to the site....

Agenda? LOL Ya Ok buddy

Try reading YOUR research. I highlighted it in red for you because clearly you didn't read it the first time

It would be fair to point out that speculation isn't fact. I've highlighted the word that points to this being speculation. They end the first sentance saying it's a fact it disrupts birds nesting, then in the next say it's not the birds at all and MAY be something else maybe.

My opinion (loud and clear, as I have every right to do) about this sort of issue, in case it hasn't already been made clear, is that the problem is not the type of cache, but the maturity and possibly the intelligence of the cachers ...

Agreed.

Look at it this way: Someone had to be the very first cacher to think of using a fake bird nest. What do you suppose gave him the idea? I’m betting he spotted a real bird nest one day while searching for another cache, momentarily considered that the nest might be the cache – and an idea was born.

Determined cachers will consider all possibilities when seeking well-concealed caches. Even if fake-nest caches were banned outright, that would not stop persistent searchers from inspecting real nests wherever they encounter them.

The fake-nest caches aren’t causing problems. As Knowschad points out, all we can do is depend on the judgment of seekers.

No, that's not all we can do. It is merely all that some want to do.

My opinion (loud and clear, as I have every right to do) about this sort of issue, in case it hasn't already been made clear, is that the problem is not the type of cache, but the maturity and possibly the intelligence of the cachers ...

Agreed.

Look at it this way: Someone had to be the very first cacher to think of using a fake bird nest. What do you suppose gave him the idea? I’m betting he spotted a real bird nest one day while searching for another cache, momentarily considered that the nest might be the cache – and an idea was born.

Determined cachers will consider all possibilities when seeking well-concealed caches. Even if fake-nest caches were banned outright, that would not stop persistent searchers from inspecting real nests wherever they encounter them.

The fake-nest caches aren’t causing problems. As Knowschad points out, all we can do is depend on the judgment of seekers.

No, that's not all we can do. It is merely all that some want to do.

What do you mean? What more can be done?

As I said: even if fake-nest caches were banned outright, that would not stop persistent cachers from inspecting real bird nests wherever they encounter them.

Or are you suggesting that you know of some way to prevent ALL geocachers from inspecting bird nests at ANY cache site?

You do understand that that was my point, right?

[

Or are you suggesting that you know of some way to prevent ALL geocachers from inspecting bird nests at ANY cache site?

I know that I sure do! Heck, I was thinking of things like fake birdsnest caches before I ever even knew there was such a thing! I think I had about two or three caches under my belt (all very ordinary caches under a pile of sticks) when it occurred to me that I could do better... fake branches, fake rocks, maybe even a fake bird's nest! Shame on me!

I have found a fake bird's nest or two in my time; fake sprinklers have long stopped seeming creative to me; fake electrical covers are the first place to check; and there was even a cache last week inside of a working light pole (cover not there). I have not noticed much environmental destruction with these hides - although I can see that a land manager would be upset if people took apart a sprinkler system in search of a cache or even if there was a possibility that someone would do it. I can't imagine getting permission for a sprinkler hide if there are other sprinklers around, but that is another issue.

Most of the environmental problems I have seen are with other types of caches: a small cache under rocks in a wooded area that leads to a wide circle of broken branches and the like; caches placed on old stone fences where people have removed the stones in their search; caches placed in oaks and bays that are infected with Sudden Oak Death (a major problem in my area).

Any cache container could be placed in a way that makes it a problem. So it's good to remind people to walk lightly and take care in their searches and consider how caches are placed. Some people will do that, others won't. Like any other human activity.

Edited by Erickson
[

I know that I sure do! Heck, I was thinking of things like fake birdsnest caches before I ever even knew there was such a thing! I think I had about two or three caches under my belt (all very ordinary caches under a pile of sticks) when it occurred to me that I could do better... fake branches, fake rocks, maybe even a fake bird's nest! Shame on me!

:):D

The fake fungi was the best. But not as cool as the coffin in the woods.. :lol:

[

The fake fungi was the best. But not as cool as the coffin in the woods.. :laughing:

I know! And now, whenever I run across a coffin in the woods, I'm compelled to open it, just in case it is really a geocache!
[

The fake fungi was the best. But not as cool as the coffin in the woods.. :laughing:

I always make it a point to remove fungi attached to trees just to make sure it's not the cache.. ;)

[

:):)

I always make it a point to remove fungi attached to trees just to make sure it's not the cache.. :)

And I always make it a point to bury any coffins that I find in the woods, just in case it is a real coffin, and not just a geocache. :)