Temp caches at event

Swamper68

Have a few questions about creating some temporary caches.

Our town has a month long light display with multiple displays setup in a park. This park isn't very big but has many displays setup.

What I was thinking of doing was setting up a cache at each display.

Maybe I could make this a multi and use clues from each stop to get to the next.

Question here is, since these displays are only up for a month, can I create many caches and archive when the displays are gone?

Would love to have different caches to attract more cachers. More caches more cachers right?

Or should I just make it one multi cache, but then not have too many cachers show up because you would get credit for one cache only?

Another problem I can see, is that there is a cache close by that would be closer then the required 528 ft. How would that affect a posting?

Any suggestions would be great as I should be getting this setup in the next week or so as they are starting to setup displays now.

I will be going to the board and asking permission to do this in the next few days also. I used to be a board member and I know they would be keen on the idea.

Looking forward to hearing what some of you might have to say on the subject and this could become a yearly thing. Which brings to mind. If I set this up this year, I would have to change all the coords for next year as displays are never in the same place twice.

If your target audience is "more caches more cachers right?", I'd wonder why you'd want to archive them after that month. You'll find a lot of cachers will be there during the daytime when your lights are off anyway, and most of the cachers wouldn't notice the attractions anyway, except for the fact that they might be hindered by muggles getting in the way.

"Temporary" caches will not be published. The guidelines list a minimum of 3 months.

An interesting cache was placed not far from me a couple of winters ago. It was in a large parking lot on top of the huge mountain of snow that was created from clearing the parking lot. Temporary, for sure, but it may have actually existed for more than 3 months.

I guess that makes sense. Remember reading about the 3 months now. Thanks.

My next thought then is that I can make it a large multi of some sort and change it once the event is over to reflect a shorter multi. Have the start and end points off site that don't change, then a log can be signed. Can I do that?

I do apologize. I haven't been caching very long but enjoy the experience of creating and finding.

So my thought is during the event, start point is off site to get some coords to start. Then go to A, B, C, D, E ... X, Y, Z and then final log off site.

Once event is done, start point same, lead to end point.

Is that allowed? Or does the 3 month rule apply?

I'm American and live 100 miles away, but I know the park and displays of which you speak!!

Basically, you have zero chance of getting this approved, sorry to say. And I'm sure you'd run into .1 mile (whatever that is converted to Metres) proximity issues with other caches in the park.

I believe the only way you can pull this off is by hosting a Geocaching event. Say a small gathering in the park (Brrrr, cold), or in a community Center or local dining establishment. You could then set up this whole thing as a temporary cache (which generally have no restrictions) for event attendees, and probably even leave it up for the holidays. People who didn't attend your event could certainly come find it, although the wouldn't get "credit".

So my thought is during the event, start point is off site to get some coords to start. Then go to A, B, C, D, E ... X, Y, Z and then final log off site.

Once event is done, start point same, lead to end point.

The problem with this plan is that you're describing two very different cache experiences. If you're going to change a cache that drastically it's always best to archive it and then create a new one, but this is usually the case when an owner doesn't know he's going to change the cache before he creates it. In your case you know ahead of time that you'd be archiving it so the Cache Permanence guideline won't allow it.

I think the best thing to do is to create a cache that you like, keeping in mind that most of the finders will be finding it during the day without seeing the Xmas lights anyway, and plan on that cache remaining in place for at least 3 months without significant changes.

Thanks everyone. That clears up a lot of what I was thinking and know that I can't proceed as I initially intended.

I will have to re-think how to do this with all of your good suggestions.

Thanks

Well, don't listen to me! I'd run any ideas past Cache Minder, whom I see just published your first 3 caches today (congratulations). I assume that's their territory now, there are so many new reviewers in Ontario. :lol:

Thanks The White Urkle.

I did get my first 3 published today. One for me, and my two kids

They are loving it just as much.

niraD. Thanks for that suggestion. I was really thinking about leaning that way. Don't want to detract from the cache though. It is a great place even in the summer.

But then again, maybe a great way to make a large year round christmas cache of some sort. Even though there is a christmas cache a few miles out of town.