Help for geocaching newbies!

tharge26

Hey everyone,

We are just wondering if it is better/more common for people to use TWO different GPS devices for geocaching? Currently we are just using a Garmin nuvi 205 and we are having some difficulty "zeroing" in on the different coordinates. This a common issue or do we have to get a field/handheld GPS to get closer tracking? Thanks in advance.

The Nuvis are great for getting you to the parking area for a cache, but you might find some difficulty for hunting an actual cache with them. I know of people that use them exclusively for cache hunting and it works for them. But, you may prefer to get one of the field style GPSs, just to make caching easier. I use both; I have a Nuvi mounted in the truck that I use when travelling to the trailhead and then when I go out on the actual hike I switch to the GPSMAP 60CSx. I am sure the Nuvi would work just as well, but the added features of tracks/elevation is nice information to know.

Guess it would come down to your budget. If the money is there, even one of the non mapping GPSs would be a nice have in addition to your Nuvi.

I, too, use a nuvi (660) for navigating the roads. But then I switch to either my Garmin Legend or Vista for the final approach.

The battery life on the nuvi makes it a poor choice for hiking. The screen is easily scratched/cut. And, if you drop it, good luck!

Finally, the nuvi doesn't have the compass rose for pointing you to the coordinates, you have to move around to make the numbers match the coordinates.

Yea I like the nuvi idea for on-road, but I can't imagine trying to zero in on a cache without a compass pointer! What a pain - imho. Also keep in mind that even if you're right on 'ground zero' you've still got anywhere from a 3'-40' search area depending on differences in equipment. Maybe even more.

I used a Nuvi 200W exclusively for my first few hundred caches...it did a great job, very accurate. However, I upgraded to a Colorado 400t as I felt the Nuvi was too delicate to be used in the woods (too easy to damage the touch screen and it's not waterproof) and the battery life was horrible (it's easy to swap AA batteries in the handheld units if they're running low).

They're equally accurate. You need to remember that it's very rare your GPS will read 0ft when you're at the cache...there's always a margin of error, normally 10-30 feet.

I generally agree with the posts above, with a few exceptions. External battery cases can be bought for the nuvi, so there's no battery problem there (though it adds bulk of course). Also, while it isn't waterproof or durable, I've attached a lanyard to mine which I put on my wrist. Finally, the accuracy had been great for me. You can actually view your coordinates and then compare them with the geocache coordinates to pinpoint a cache when you get close. I just carry

a compass with me and then I know high direction I need to move. I like the ability to paperless cache with my nuvi too. Google paperless geocaching with a nuvi to find an excellent tutorial by pilotsnipes and other information. Overall, I agree that it's a money issue. If you can afford a hiking type gpsr, go for it, otherwise the nuvi does a pretty good job.

Thanks for all the great replies. I think I'll spring for a cheaper field GPS device. Any suggestions on good ones $100-$150 range?

I use a Garmin eTrex Venture HC. It lists at REI for $169 but I got it when they were having a 25% off sale. It's worked great for me so far.

And you might consider something you may already own... I found my first dozen caches with Blackstar, a free software app for my Blackberry. It's more likely to lose signal under heavy tree cover than the Garmin, and when you're not moving the pointer dial spins randomly, but it's still pretty darn good. In fact, I still use it sometimes for lunch-hour caching. It's also great for urban micros, because a guy looking at a Blackberry downtown is just another guy looking at a Blackberry, and doesn't attract any attention.

I hear good things about the $10 iphone app, too.

Hey everyone,

We are just wondering if it is better/more common for people to use TWO different GPS devices for geocaching? Currently we are just using a Garmin nuvi 205 and we are having some difficulty "zeroing" in on the different coordinates. This a common issue or do we have to get a field/handheld GPS to get closer tracking? Thanks in advance.

I don't know how common it is. Understand that there are some handheld GPS units that also do road navigation. Those aren't the majority, however.

I use a separate road nav unit to put me where I'm going at a coarse scale (a TomTom 740) and a Garmin eTrex Summit HC for the close-in work once I'm out of the car. It's easy to create geocaching POI files and and a day's itinerary and slide them over to the TomTom, and it gives me spoken text-to-speech directions (includes street names) so I'm never having to look down at the unit at all. The better road nav devices will do these kinds of things, and if you've got a particularly long or complicated day of caching planned, they can really keep you moving.

That said, MOST of them aren't designed to manage off-road experiences well, and none that I know of incorporate WAAS (the FAA correction satellite data) that can improve your chances of landing close to the cache with the handheld. Further, it is even more rare to find a real mag compass on a road nav unit. That feature was one of the things that led me to using the Summit HC as my handheld, and that compass has really helped me triangulate a few tough caches.

Thanks for all the great replies. I think I'll spring for a cheaper field GPS device. Any suggestions on good ones $100-$150 range?
Good move! You won't regret it. As others have said, I use a Nuvi for getting to the cache, and for loading up the cache page information, but I'd never want to use it for locating a cache. Wrong tool for that job.
I, too, use a nuvi (660) for navigating the roads. But then I switch to either my Garmin Legend or Vista for the final approach.

The battery life on the nuvi makes it a poor choice for hiking. The screen is easily scratched/cut. And, if you drop it, good luck!

Finally, the nuvi doesn't have the compass rose for pointing you to the coordinates, you have to move around to make the numbers match the coordinates.

Pretty much word for word what I'd say :signalviolin: I even use the same model Nuvi.

I carry my Nuvi with me sometimes on the trail, but it is not turned on unless I need to refer to the cache description or hint.

If you're not using the paperless Nuvi POI macro for GSAK, do check it out.

http://pilotsnipes.googlepages.com/index.html

I don't know how common it is. Understand that there are some handheld GPS units that also do road navigation. Those aren't the majority, however.

I've only looked at some Garmin models. It does turn by turn, but you have a small screen (compared to Nuvi) and no spoken directions. And you need to pay $100 for the City Navigator maps before it can do that.

The Nuvi 500 has a compass screen, topo maps, field replacable batteries, and is waterproof. It looks uncomfortable to hold, however.

Edit to add : I use a Venture HC which I got for $115 (the price fluctuates) and I think it's a fantastic unit for the price.