Letterboxing and other treasure hunting games in cemeteries

PTCRAZY

I thought I would put a link here in the forums in regards to an article that was in today's local newspaper. I found the link online and have included it here so others may read it and perhaps discuss their thoughts on the subject and the opinions of those who were mentioned in the article.

My personal belief is that I would be very hard pressed to find even (1) Letterboxer, Geocacher or Waymarker that has entered a cemetery on the premise of finding a "hidden treasure", then decided that while they were there, that perhaps they would vandalize some of the grave markers, just for something to do.....

seems like the typical "non-participant" opinion, as usual. Thanks for reading.......PTCrazy.

Here is the link: Oswego Valley News Article

The caretakers agree and are not pleased that amusement enthusiasts have once again taken to cemeteries for game playing.

I know in my hometown, people go into the cemetery all the time for amusement, not counting the one cache that's there. It often used by walkers and bike riders because its a peaceful area with grass and trees and what little traffic there is, is going slow. People often visit cemeteries for research purposes, as well, for genealogy. That can be considered a hobby, too. And that will often lead to direct contact with headstones if a rubbing is necessary to read it.

I thought I would put a link here in the forums in regards to an article that was in today's local newspaper. I found the link online and have included it here so others may read it and perhaps discuss their thoughts on the subject and the opinions of those who were mentioned in the article.

My personal belief is that I would be very hard pressed to find even (1) Letterboxer, Geocacher or Waymarker that has entered a cemetery on the premise of finding a "hidden treasure", then decided that while they were there, that perhaps they would vandalize some of the grave markers, just for something to do.....

seems like the typical "non-participant" opinion, as usual. Thanks for reading.......PTCrazy.

Oh boy. Considering how difficult it was to get a cemetery cache approved in New York for a few years, this one isn't going to go over too well. Thank Goodness my only cemetery cache is on undeveloped City property outside the grounds.

Anyways, per this quote in the article, I think we can safely just blame the D & D geeks. :o

For some caretakers, there is concern that the treasure box game could result in the same problems of trespass and vandalism that occurred when the game “Dungeons and Dragons” was being played out in cemeteries.

“That game became such a problem,” one caretaker noted. “Don’t even get me started on the problems we had with it.”

Oh boy. Considering how difficult it was to get a cemetery cache approved in New York for a few years, this one isn't going to go over too well. Thank Goodness my only cemetery cache is on undeveloped City property outside the grounds.

Anyways, per this quote in the article, I think we can safely just blame the D & D geeks. :o

For some caretakers, there is concern that the treasure box game could result in the same problems of trespass and vandalism that occurred when the game “Dungeons and Dragons” was being played out in cemeteries.

“That game became such a problem,” one caretaker noted. “Don’t even get me started on the problems we had with it.”

If I had a nickle for every time some cosplaying LARPer soiled the public perception of Dungeons and Dragons...

Is this on the Tree of Angst yet? I haven't checked. The perception that Geocachers are all free-wheeling X-TREME sports punks under the age of 25 that flail about with their limbs all akimbo, flipping and jumping from place to place (on skateboards and Heelies no doubt) looking for the next hide?

Most the cachers I've met get a discount on their coffee and their movie tickets.

I thought I would put a link here in the forums in regards to an article that was in today's local newspaper. I found the link online and have included it here so others may read it and perhaps discuss their thoughts on the subject and the opinions of those who were mentioned in the article. ...

It would be more accurate to say that having honest folks there leads to less vandalizing. I won't hold my breath waiting for that recognition but they should at least stick with reality.

Well now the first problem is the word amusement. That covers every actvity we do except the ones that make us cry. Caching is an activity. That we even say the word "game" and put "gamepiece" on cahes is shooting ourselves in the foot. Of coruse you don't play games in cemetaries (actually you do since they allow kids and kids can't go 30 seconds without playing some kind of game but then they aren't realistic) but you do participate in activites. Caching consists of every activity they do allow plus a box.

Edited by Renegade Knight