infinite redirect - can't access site

Chananda

Strange one this. Since yesterday or so, I haven't been able to get to any page at all on www.geocaching.com. This includes the homepage.

I have cleared my cookies, thinking some update had been done and that was it, but this morning I get the same thing.

Here are my results from wfetch:

started....WWWConnect::Connect("www.geocaching.com","80")\nIP = "66.150.167.148:80"\nsource port: 3300\r\n

REQUEST: **************\nGET / HTTP/1.1\r\n

Host: www.geocaching.com\r\n

Accept: */*\r\n

\r\n

RESPONSE: **************\nHTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently\r\n

Connection: close\r\n

Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 06:55:43 GMT\r\n

Server: Microsoft-IIS/6.0\r\n

Content-Length: 236\r\n

Content-type: text/html\r\n

\r\n

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML 2.0//EN">\r\n

<html><head>\r\n

<title>301 Moved Permanently</title>\r\n

</head><body>\r\n

<h1>Moved Permanently</h1><p>The document has moved <a href="http://www.geocaching.com/">here</a>.</p>\n</body></html>WWWConnect::Close("www.geocaching.com","80")\nclosed source port: 3300\r\n

finished.

So I am getting a 301 and redirected to where I came from!

Can someone at GS confirm that the IP I am getting (66.150.167.148) is still in use for the site?

Thanks.

Strange one this. Since yesterday or so, I haven't been able to get to any page at all on www.geocaching.com. This includes the homepage.

If your browser is truly http 1.1 compliant, the get statement should be a lot more than just "GET /"

Are you using Windows XP and Firefox?

Can't access geocaching.com either, although the tracert gets through. REad that other cachers have a smiliar problem with Windows XP and Firefox, but if the same PC runs with Windows 7 or Vista, everything is ok.

Works fine for me in XP and Firefox.

Can someone at GS confirm that the IP I am getting (66.150.167.148) is still in use for the site?

Thanks.

Its not ...

the current result for geocaching.com (no www.) gives the following ip-adresses:

66.150.167.131, 66.150.167.132

nslookup for www.geocaching.com sometimes gives another ip-adress as the abovementioned, like:

Are you using Windows XP and Firefox?

Can't access geocaching.com either, although the tracert gets through. REad that other cachers have a smiliar problem with Windows XP and Firefox, but if the same PC runs with Windows 7 or Vista, everything is ok.

Not only with XP and Firefox, with Internet-Explorer too. tracert works properly. Trying another PC (Vista)in my Home-Network, i have no Problems to connect to geocaching.com, also with my PDA (Windows mobile).

I tried to switch of my wireless networkadapter and using a network-cable, same result.

Also i tried using mobile Internet-connection... doesn't work too.

Strange problem, which i described on geoclub.de-forum at the 'wiese'

Edited by hk@gg

If your browser is truly http 1.1 compliant, the get statement should be a lot more than just "GET /"

True, though it was the closest I could simulate at the time and shows the same behaviour.

Yesterday afternoon, we migrated the Geocaching site to a new set of servers. The new servers also have new IP addresses, so the IP addresses returned for the site have changed.

When we publish our IP addresses for www.geocaching.com we also publish a time-to-live (TTL) value of 10 minutes. That tells other DNS servers that they should only cache that record for up to 10 minutes before looking it up again to see if the IP address has changed. It sounds like your ISP is ignoring that value and is caching our records longer than they should which is why you're still getting the old IP addresses.

Until your ISP's DNS servers decide to look up our record again, you'll continue to run into this issue. In the meantime, I'll see if there is something we can do from our end as a temporary workaround.

:D Elias

Thanks.

Its not ...

the current result for geocaching.com (no www.) gives the following ip-adresses:

nslookup for www.geocaching.com sometimes gives another ip-adress as the abovementioned, like:

Looks like it's a DNS or load balancing issue. I added a hosts entry of 66.150.167.131 and the site comes up fine now.

Thanks all. Anyone else having troubles might also want to check their DNS. This isn't the first time I've had stale DNS info from my ISP.

Thanks.

Its not ...

Looks like it's a DNS or load balancing issue. I added a hosts entry of 66.150.167.131 and the site comes up fine now.

Thanks all. Anyone else having troubles might also want to check their DNS. This isn't the first time I've had stale DNS info from my ISP.

Yes, it works now. Thank you very much for the workaround!

Thank's a lot to the Groundspeak-staff for their accuracy maintaining the servers. Wouldn't it be better to advertise such important server-maintenance? I'm a premium menber and i feel me left out in the rain...

I can certainly understand your frustration, but unfortunately, this isn't a Groundspeak issue. With the exception of a very small handful of users posting in this thread, this transition was completely seamless and no downtime was experienced.

This issue is a direct result of your ISP overriding and breaking the standard functionality of DNS. As I indicated in my previous post, we'll see if there's something we can do on our end to work around this problem.

Thank's a lot to the Groundspeak-staff for their accuracy maintaining the servers. Wouldn't it be better to advertise such important server-maintenance? I'm a premium menber and i feel me left out in the rain...

I can certainly understand your frustration, but unfortunately, this isn't a Groundspeak issue. With the exception of a very small handful of users posting in this thread, this transition was completely seamless and no downtime was experienced.

This issue is a direct result of your ISP overriding and breaking the standard functionality of DNS. As I indicated in my previous post, we'll see if there's something we can do on our end to work around this problem.

Hi Elias,

thank you for your answer. I have understand that the problem is to find at my isp, in this case the german provider 1&1. I don't know, whether the other peoples with this problem also have 1&1 as provider. Therefore i think, it would be better to announce such updates/maintenance or whatoever to avoid such frustration. I couldn't recognize this issue as a provider-problem, because another laptop in my home-network (with Vista) and my pda (windows-mobile) doesn't have any problem to access geocaching.com. But what's about the other users with this problem outside Germany, who have other providers like me?

Sorry if you feel affected, it wasn't my intention.

Happy caching from Klein-Gerau/Germany

Hubertus (hk@gg)

Me, too!-Post:

I made the same experience like hk@gg does.

My PC couldn't access GC.com regardless of which browser I use, but my Laptop (over the same router and internet connection) did.

But I didn't change an entry in the Host-File back after problems some months ago. :-o

Robin(888)

Edited by Robin888

Me, too!-Post:

I made the same experience like hk@gg does.

My PC couldn't access GC.com regardless of which browser I use, but my Laptop (over the same router and internet connection) did.

But I didn't change an entry in the Host-File back after problems some months ago. :-o

Robin(888)

Do you have 1&1 as provider too? Did you tried to delete the hosts-entry for geocaching.com? May be the best solution for you. If it doesn't work, try the hosts-entry as described some posts before and pleaseremember to delete it in a few days/weeks...

Hubertus