Simplify activating geocoins

cache_n_out

HI All,

This one is for the Groundspeak folks. I got myself 100 coins and I'm OK with having to type in 100 codes to activate, but why can't I have just one coin photo and mission that can apply to all 100 coins? Do you really want me to update 100 copies of the same digital photo of the coin? And cutting and pasting the same mission 100 times. Seems like there has to be an easier way....

cache_n_out :P

Grand idea........ but curiosity overwhelms me.........

Why in the world would you want to launch 100 identical coins. Must be a reason. :P

Ummm, when order custom made coin (your own design) coins there is usually a 100 minumum - and they are indentical...

Maybe I didn't state this, but these were custome designed and fabricated geocoins....

Maybe there is someone else who acitvated 100 coins with a same mission too, but do you really think Groundspeak would change the way you activate a trackable just in that case?

Ruud

Ummm, when order custom made coin (your own design) coins there is usually a 100 minumum - and they are indentical...

Maybe I didn't state this, but these were custome designed and fabricated geocoins....

Same coin - same mission.....

Maybe there is someone else who acitvated 100 coins with a same mission too, but do you really think Groundspeak would change the way you activate a trackable just in that case?

Ruud

It is your coin, your design, your choice what to do with them. There have been people that have activated all of their own personal coins under their own accounts (Moun10Bike for example), but many people do not. We've used our coins as gifts, ftf prizes, trade items and travelers. We did not activate them all because we wanted the people gifted/traded for our coin to maintain ownership of them (I don't think I would want to get emails from 100 traveling coins...that would really load up my inbox). It also allowed those folks to pick the mission for the coin. Maybe you have something special in mind to do with the coins, and that is why you want to activate them all? Anyways, since most people are not activating 100 coins at a time, I cannot see Groundspeak changing the way coins are activated. Good luck activating them...I do not envy you that task.

Ruud

Nope you did not state your intent at all or why you seemed so upset that the existing system didn't allow for something so out of the ordinary.

What you could do is write your missions in html and include the URL to the photo then just paste that little bit of code in each activated coin page's mission or description and save you a lot of extra labour.

Edited by Droo

Ruud

Nope you did not state your intent at all or why you seemed so upset that the existing system didn't allow for something so out of the ordinary.

What you could do is write your missions in html and include the URL to the photo then just paste that little bit of code in each activated coin page's mission or description and save you a lot of extra labour.

Good idea.

When I had my new Personal Coins made, I ordered the codes PreActivated, and all with the same Mission and description. I did forget to include an image for them to add, but I might still be able to get that changed? I considered dropping my order to 150, but was told that the normal minimum for this option was 250(my original amount I wanted anyway) It CAN be done, and perhaps with more people showing an interest in the option, they might lower the minimum?

As for why anyone would want so many with the same mission?? Just to watch them travel, and add a bit more fun and enjoyment to the game(for myself AND other players)!

The Fallen Hero geocoins by USAGeocoins are all activated by a team of volunteers. 2430 coins activated so far.

Those all have different descriptions? That's slightly different than this situation...I have "Hired" someone to activate 100 Look Twice Coins for me, and I paid him in Coins to keep. It will probably be an 8-10 hour job? all the missions will have to be copied/pasted form the forum thread.

The Fallen Hero geocoins by USAGeocoins are all activated by a team of volunteers. 2430 coins activated so far.

Those all have different descriptions? That's slightly different than this situation...I have "Hired" someone to activate 100 Look Twice Coins for me, and I paid him in Coins to keep. It will probably be an 8-10 hour job? all the missions will have to be copied/pasted form the forum thread.

But from what I understand, the volunteers are given the text and photos to cut and past them onto the coin page. Similar enough in scope...and tedious to complete.

Ruud

Thanks for the idea! (oh and I'm not upset! :-)