A new type of cache

Stepping Stones

I had e-mailed Groundspeak about a new kind of cache that I thought would be fun. They told me to post it here...

I came up with this idea while listening to an Earth cache class at a local geo bash. Of course all, if not most know how the earth caches work... geological learning... I like history and a lot of really interesting areas can't have caches, so you are stuck with a puzzle cache and hide something close.

I say... why not have a history cache. Go to the location, learn something about the history... maybe a little web research, e-mail the answer, and have credit for the cache.... Not too much different then some of the earth caches....

I for one will enjoy making these and doing them!!!

What say you? ;)

What say you? ;)

I say you already described a solution that seems to work perfectly well:

...a lot of really interesting areas can't have caches, so you are stuck with a puzzle cache and hide something close.

Failing that, there is always Waymarking.

Edited by DanOCan

Didn't know others had the same idea and how great they might be.... Sounds like most like the earth caches to learn science but not the same idea to learn history.... What ever....

yup...... Waymarking is so much fun....

It is to me. I get coordinates for someplace and I go out and find it.

With the exception of Earthcaches.....

A Geocache is an object placed somewhere.

A Waymark is just the somewhere.

Your idea clearly is closer to option number 2.

Didn't know others had the same idea and how great they might be.... Sounds like most like the earth caches to learn science but not the same idea to learn history.... What ever....

I would not say that most like Earth Caches. I certainly do not. I personally see Earth Caches as just another type of virtual that should be over on Waymarking.com. I also suspect that the majority would not be upset if Earth Caches went away. No container = no cache. Simple in my mind, but I am not TPTB that make the rules.

We had "virtual" caches way back when. Lots of people claimed "founds" even though they never went to the site and most geocachers agreed to do away with virtuals 2-3 yrs ago. We had lots of history caches in my area (through virtual). There's lots of ideas and variations for geocaching and it's changing every day. Your idea is not a bad one but it's one that won't win over many geocachers as it was done before.

I say... why not have a history cache. Go to the location, learn something about the history... maybe a little web research, e-mail the answer, and have credit for the cache.... Not too much different then some of the earth caches....

What say you? ;)

I see one big problem. Geology is science about nature. History about politics. Who will approve listings in these caches? For EarthCaches is The Geological Society of America what is no really difference if that will be Chinese, Russian or Brazilian geological society. But problem with history is every country has its own interpretation of history. Because it's politics.

What say you? ;)

I see one big problem. Geology is science about nature. History about politics. Who will approve listings in these caches? For EarthCaches is The Geological Society of America what is no really difference if that will be Chinese, Russian or Brazilian geological society. But problem with history is every country has its own interpretation of history. Because it's politics.

Interesting view... In my minds eye.... history affects every one on the planet, (just like science)... we can never forget what happed so most of it will never be repeated (the bad).... History covers every part of society... and what is earth caches but the history of the earth! So why not replace it with the history of the under ground rail road... the good and bad of humanity in the 1800's? Or any of the billion other historical facts that have happened world wide....

Since I started this post, I have read all the responces here... some I agree withand others I don't... that is my right as it is all of yours. I have also found other posts and did more reasearch into other forms of hunting... ie.. Waymarking, benchmarking. I have done both... I have done earth caches.... The idea that I had for this is more like the earth caches out there today.... but it sounds like a dead end.... which makes me very sad! i have played with this idea for a few years bfore I finally desided to try to do something about them. I watch the number of earth caches grow.... virtual caches disapearing.... and the feel of history going by when a co-worker doesn't know who James Dean is or what year the Civil War started.... or WWI... and then giving up! I guess I will have to continue to put out the puzzles that I have to teach history and then try to find somewhere close to hide something.... not always the funnest of times.....

It is one history, but there are many interpretations of this history. And this is the reason many nations hate and fight with others. Few years ago historians in Europe gave an idea write one European history handbook for whole Europe. But this idea felt down, because nobody was happy. Eg. for you Americans are great patriots and people of honour. But for many other nations Americans are just aggressors and killers. This is very sensitive and dangerous science. My main question again - who will approve listings - American or Afghan society?

No, this is really bad idea.

I fully understand that the interpretation of history certainly has political overtones. However, facts are facts. Thousands of sites reflect non-political locations, such as Indian ruins, passes discovered by explorers, locations of tanning vats built in the 1800's, locations of historic hotels or hot springs, etc. Of course, there are those people that believe that the Holocaust never happened but the locations of battles generally are irrefutable.

If we focus on sites where "stuff happened" rather than "who started it", we might have a better chance.

Thousand of caches are place din historical places, in area of high density of caches nearly every one historical place has a cache, and descriptions are full of historical informations. Other with geological sites - before Earthcache started there weren't many geological caches, where you can find geological or geomorphological informations. Starting historical caches we just come back to ordinary virtuals.

It is one history, but there are many interpretations of this history. And this is the reason many nations hate and fight with others. Few years ago historians in Europe gave an idea write one European history handbook for whole Europe. But this idea felt down, because nobody was happy. Eg. for you Americans are great patriots and people of honour. But for many other nations Americans are just aggressors and killers. This is very sensitive and dangerous science. My main question again - who will approve listings - American or Afghan society?

No, this is really bad idea.

The saying goes... 'the victor writes the history'.... No matter where you are on the planet, there will always be at least two sides to every historical story ever told. After all, what is the difference between a rebelion and a revolution? Rebelions lost... revolutions win. This was one reason that I would like to do these kind of history caches... might be able to teach both sides of it.

I personally try to get both side of everything, and get in lots of arguments for defending the unpopular line of thought... Not all Americans are single minded... not to bash any one else.... It would be up to the locals as to what cache could be put where... I don't think British would like to see where the Boston Tea Party happened... but Americans might....

Edited by Stepping Stones

I know since I was born, raised, and live in America that people that don't know me hate me. This ideal is sickening to me. I try not to judge anyone until I know them. If people knew more history, even in this country to see what we have done to ourselves, I think we would be a better nation. If we really wanted to bash a people, not just a nation that sits on a section of this same planet we all share.... but, I will not go there... nothing to do with caching and defeats the act....

Sorry for rambling.... I just don't want certan history to repeat, and I think that by learning about it in a fun way would help... like caching.

Didn't we just have this discussion??

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...l=history+cache

No need for another catagory.

Maybe, maybe not.

There is a hard-core group of complainers in these forums who habitually gripe that when researching possibilities or creating PQs, there is no way to separate cool caches like yours from among what they consider to be an overall massive background of unacceptable lameness.

A HistoryCache type would provide the desired ability to electronically sort at least some of the historic-interest location caches from among other caches.

Incidentally, so would a suitably useful attribute.

That is very interesting... Yes make a new kind of cache if not only in symbal.... I keep butting my head into the wall to have some kind of virtual type... But just a new 'H' for a cache so you can sort them if you want to do them....

I have been reading more since I started this post and have found some very interesting posts from others.... One other cacher has a good point.....

I already do multis and puzzle caches with historical value to them.... I was just thinking of how to make them easier and how to pick them out of a croud like you can with earth caches....