Geocache - help wanted

Meyerink

Ok. so this is a question. would do this as a poll but cant find it here to do it.

how do people pronounce Geocache??

Do you say - geo-cash-ay

or - geo-caysh

I have heard it pronounced both ways to just wanting your thoughts.

You've been a member since 2005, and you are only asking this now? :lol:

I don't know how it may be prounced elsewhere, but here in the U.S., it is pronounced like "geocash". Wikipedia seems to agree: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cache. I believe "cachet" would be pronounced "cacheay".

*** Urgent!: See my post below for a recent change in my way of thinking about this subject!***

Edited by knowschad
ok so now we have

geeo - cash

geeo - cash-aye

geeo - catch

geeo - kaysh

forgive me if i dont quiet know how to do pronounciations correctly.

Any more for the collection??

Apparently, we also have both the "jee-o" versions (soft G, as in "giant") and the "gee-o" versions (hard G, as in "golf").

I've always heard it as JEE-o-CASH.

ok, now it gets confusing...

how differently do you pronounce it when your talking about

we are going geocaching

compared to lets find a geocache

thoughts??

We are going jee oh cash ing

Let's find a jee oh cash

Personally, I can't even remember the last time I used the geo bit when talking about it (to other cachers)

(pronounced cash-errs around here)

I've heard a few people say cashay and thought it was pretty funny.

Not long after I heard it that way for the first time I noticed that some reporters were pronouncing it the same way, as in "a cache of weapons".

And a cache of weapons is still pronounced CASH here too.

Cachet (cashay) is....

1. A mark or quality, as of distinction, individuality, or authenticity: "Federal courts have a certain cachet which state courts lack" (Christian Science Monitor).

2. A seal on a document, such as a letter.

a. A commemorative design stamped on an envelope to mark a postal or philatelic event.

b. A motto forming part of a postal cancellation.

4. A kind of wafer capsule formerly used by pharmacists for presenting an unpleasant-tasting drug.

No lock'n'locks, ammo cans or GPS's in there.... :lol::)

The person that introduced me to jee-o-cash-ing pronounced the latter part of the word "cachet." I think he still does, and if he doesn't it's probably because he got tired of me harassing him about it. I assume he got the pronunciation from the news, where it was always pronounced as "cachet."

Hard "G"?!?!?

POPPYCOCK!

It's a soft "G", like geography, geographical, geology, geode, giraffe, and gee-whiz.

No way is it a hard "G" like in the .gif file format.*

*Can open. Worms everywhere.

I'll open that can of worms. I knew a number of the original .GIF (and later, .PNG) developers from back when I used to hang out in Compuserve's GRAPHDEV forum. They insisted that it is "pronounced like the peanut butter".

They did? But there was already a .jif image file format name (actually corresponding to .JPEG or .JPG) back then, too -- I remember it from my Gopher-using days in like 1993! *sigh*

.JIF image format was a part of the jpeg set of formats, I believe. .GIF preceeded any of the jpeg formats.

For more off-topic information on that can o' worms, see The GIF Pronunciation Page (or Wikipedia)

Back on topic, I have never, ever heard of anyone pronouncing geocache with a hard "G". It would be hard to avoid laughing at that!

Hard "G"?!?!?

POPPYCOCK!

It's a soft "G", like geography, geographical, geology, geode, giraffe, and gee-whiz.

No way is it a hard "G" like in the .gif file format.*

*Can open. Worms everywhere.

I'll open that can of worms. I knew a number of the original .GIF (and later, .PNG) developers from back when I used to hang out in Compuserve's GRAPHDEV forum. They insisted that it is "pronounced like the peanut butter".

I knew what was in that can, that's why I brought it up. :);)

regardless of what Steve Wilhite says, I still pronouce it the same as the "Graphics" that makes up the acronym. I'm okay with being wrong.