Newbies need some help

colax4

We are just starting out and having some trouble.

We were wondering how exact the coordinates given usually are for the caches. We've looked for 5 so far now and have found 2 of them. One by accident........it was very small and we didn't realize we had found it until after we got home to log it and read some other comments. The other one we did find seemed to be about 10-15 feet away from what our GPS was telling us was the right spot.

Just wondering if that is usually the case or if maybe our GPS is not that accurate.

Thanks for any help or advice you can offer!

At best I would say the cords are accurate to about 10-15 feet. You have to remember that most GPS have a plus or minus for the accuracy on them. The more you pay for the GPS, the greater the accuracey in theory.

Since your new I would recommend looking for cache sizes that medium and higher and then learn how to spot them. Then move to the small and macro level when you feel comftable.

... The other one we did find seemed to be about 10-15 feet away from what our GPS was telling us was the right spot.

Just wondering if that is usually the case or if maybe our GPS is not that accurate.

That's right about what you can expect. Anything, really, less than 20' is a plus. Civilian-grade GPS units all have roughly the same degree of precision due to government restraints on reception.

Plan on having your GPS unit get you within 20 feet or so of the cache and then look around and ask yourself, "If I was going to hide a cache around here, where would I put it?" Sounds simple, but I don't think anyone will disagree when I tell you it's one of your best tools for locating a cache. Look for anything out of the ordinary, conspicuous or "man made" if you're hunting in a rural location.

Edited by Jupiter_Jack

I dont believe there are any restrictions on the gps for the sattellite any more. I use 76CSx and many times it has go me within five feet of the cache. A lot also depends on the gps the the hider used and how accurrate the co-ords actually are. We usually search a 20 foot radius from GZ, if we dont find it in that area we dont bother any more. One cache we found about 80 feet from gz as we were walking out but this is very rare.

I remember that feeling when we got started caching too.

After a while and a few caches you learn what to look for. Also, as your GPSr gets you closer to GZ (ground zero), start looking around you instead of at the GPSr. You'll start seeing hiding places from quite a ways off. Hollows in trees, tree stumps, piles of sticks or rocks, and other hiding places. The GPSr is great for getting you to the general area, not necessarily right on the exact spot the cache is hidden.

Keep at it, you'll get the hang of it!

And, most importantly, Have Fun!

Have to get in on the accuracy debate here.

I was using an eight year old GPS for months. It sometimes was 80 feet off. It was NEVER within 5 feet.

My friend has a new 600.00 GPS. it is accurate within a few feet.

I just got a new bottom-of-the-line garmin 75.00 GPS. It has been accurate within 5 feet often.

When I can't find something at ground zero, one thing I do now is see how old the cache is. Turns out, often the older the cache, the older the GPSr that was used in determining the coordinates (unless they have been updated, which happens alot).

The old caches that do not have updated coordinates are often very far off I've noticed. One was about 100 feet off with my friends new GPS.

If you've got a really accurate GPS time will tell.

If you're finding caches right at ground zero, that are fairly new, and especially those placed by people who have many caches placed, and have a couple thousand finds, (they are probably using good quality equipment to be into caching that much), then you can count on your GPS.

If you do discover it to be off, you can often get an online software update for it at the manufacturers website that might help.

Or you'll know to widen your search circle.

Edited by Sol seaker