My first Travel Bug missing....what to do now?

AngelFacedGal

Well the first ever TB I sent out has gone missing on its second cache ;) not the best start am gutted!!!!

Good news though the coin I sent out at the same time has visited three different countries already!

Anyway back to the point, what do I do about the missing TB?

It is still showing up as being in a cache, yet many of the logs confirm it is no longer there. One log from a relative newbie claims to have picked it up, but they have not logged it officially and have not been to another cache in months since this one. I have emailed them via geocache.com several times but to no avail, no response and no movement. What do I do now? Should I log the TB out of the cache and if so where should I put it?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

You've done a great job of tracking down who might have taken it, attempting to contact them and knowing that now you should probably remove it from the cache paging listing. (And you didn't show the tracking number in the bug photo!)

It has been long enough that you need to remove it but not long enough to give up hope. 3 months is a long time but I have seen more than a few resurface after a change of seasons and the cacher decides to get back out to the woods.

You can remove it from being listed in the cache and place it into an unknown location. On the Bug page, under Trackable Item Options is the option "Mark item Missing". Select Go. You can always pull it back out at a later time if it is found or you decide to re-release it.

After that let's give it some more time and see what happens. Maybe after a couple months try emailing the cacher again. Keep it polite and offer your assistance to take it off their hand. Like paying for postage to have it mailed back to you.

Good Luck!

Edited by BlueDeuce

Just out of interest, how long do you think I should wait before sending out a replacement?

I would just buy a new one and let the other one die. It could be a pain if you send a replacement out then the original shows up. I have had TB's show up after years of MIA. I have one that was picked up Dec, 03 and have been in contact with them once in a great while, and it just a chore to get them out the door to place it.

Oh well, good luck!

Just out of interest, how long do you think I should wait before sending out a replacement?

I would just buy a new one and let the other one die. It could be a pain if you send a replacement out then the original shows up. I have had TB's show up after years of MIA. I have one that was picked up Dec, 03 and have been in contact with them once in a great while, and it just a chore to get them out the door to place it.

Oh well, good luck!

For a TB that being held I recommend waiting a year before re-releasing it. If it's been lost (flood, muggled cache) you can re-release right away. Should it re-surface you can always pull one from circulation.

One of the best things about travel bugs is that you can re-release them. (And why they provide a copy tag)

Edited by BlueDeuce

Well the first ever TB I sent out has gone missing on its second cache :blink: not the best start am gutted!!!!

Good news though the coin I sent out at the same time has visited three different countries already!

Anyway back to the point, what do I do about the missing TB?

It is still showing up as being in a cache, yet many of the logs confirm it is no longer there. One log from a relative newbie claims to have picked it up, but they have not logged it officially and have not been to another cache in months since this one. I have emailed them via geocache.com several times but to no avail, no response and no movement. What do I do now? Should I log the TB out of the cache and if so where should I put it?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Id call the cops. lol