new Pathtags - vs GeoCoins vs TB vs ...

spyder8

In prepping for an upcoming Geocaching presentation for the Boy Scouts,

I've just started learning about GeoCoins and such...

(never really noticed them in my years of caching)

SO - ran across this new item - a Pathtag -

<commercial link removed by moderator>

Not sure how this is different than a coin ?

Seems like :

a TB - always travels to another cache

a Coin - may or may not travel

a Tag - is yours to keep ?

Edited by Eartha

Hey first thanks for asking, when passing off info, its allways best to know the right info.

So a tb alllllllll ways travels. Unless unactivated, sometimes someone will leave a tag unactivated as a gift. But its pretty unusual to find an unactivated tb.

Geocoins the same rule applys. If its activated its allready owned by someone and you treat it like a tb but trade value is higher because you wanna trade fairly inside the cache, so coin for coin or I say 10 dollers worth of swag for coin if you don't have one.

With a geocoin you will find them left as gifts unactivated this is the only way you may keep a coin from a cache, usually it will be a first to find prize or next to find prize, again you should trade fairly so your not gonna leave a 99 cent item and take the coin, I've been knowen too dump my whole bag of swag for a single coin. Allways trade even or trade up.

A path tag is a personal item and may be kept, but their again you want to trade fair, so for me a personal item for the tag.

Please express to your scouts over and over activated coins cannot be kept for collections!

Again thanks for asking!!

DJ.J.Rock

Pathtags are kind of signature items, they're yours to keep, if you find it in a cache.

The owner would appreciate it, if it was logged, though.

Then he/she can see on a map, where in the world their tag ended.

I always leave a card with some explanation with my tags, but not all do this.

Unactivated coins I've never come across in a cache. I left one once for the FTF in a D5 Mystery.

But otherwise there pretty rare around here.

Coins and TBs are fun to watch them travel. My coins went to areas, I've never been am not likely to come to within foreseeable future...

There is a lot of information available in the link in my signature here to the Groundspeak Knowledge Base. Welcome to the hobby.

(note: I removed the commercial link in your post because we don't allow sales links in here unless it is trackable on geocaching.com. Pathtags are tracked on another website. )

If you grab a coin that is activated (therefore owned) and intend to move it along, you do not have to leave something in the cache. If it's not activated, it's swag; yours to keep.

Ive been told and learned to trade fairly for coins, and tbs, inside caches.

It makes the game much funner for you and the person next to find your trade items. maybe im wrong but over a year ago when I asked about a coin -not knowing anything, this is what I was told here on the forums, so I trade fairly for coins and tbs. not to mention I also mark in the log what Ive traded, and have gotten many thank yous for the items I have left for the kids in trade for the coin I traded for. ;)

this is just what Ive learned around here,,, am I wrong??? :)

There is a lot of information available in the link in my signature here to the Groundspeak Knowledge Base. Welcome to the hobby.

(note: I removed the commercial link in your post because we don't allow sales links in here unless it is trackable on geocaching.com. Pathtags are tracked on another website. )

I've been Geocaching & on the forum since around 2003, and this was the first time that I noticed a "link" was removed because it basically referenced a product not being "sold" by Geocaching.com - in fact I didn't even think of that, and the URL was actually pointing to a "what is a path tag" type explanation.... not really a blatant FOR SALE type of message.

Interesting.... hadn't realized that mindset... Guess that explains why there is no sub-topic for Path tags.

Ive been told and learned to trade fairly for coins, and tbs, inside caches.

this is just what Ive learned around here,,, am I wrong???

the conventional wisdom is that you are free to move an activated traveller without trading for it

the rational being that it already belongs to somebody, and has a mission

thus you may assist with the mission without further obligation

that said, I think that your intentions are most admirable

making an extra effort to enhance others enjoyment of this hobby is to be commended

if you like to trade for trackables, by all means, do so

but if you find yourself without any swag, and see a trackable that you can help along on its way, I think that you should feel free to take it without leaving anything in its place