confusing...

I find it funny that Groundspeak wont let you post a cache with Best Buy Or Burger King... but people have their own line of JEEP TB's. Don't you think this is rather hypocritical?

If you read the guidelines you will notice that there is nothing that prohibits placing a cache at a Best Buy or Burger King or at any other business location.

:D

First of all Groundspeak is a business. To support their business and make money (for Jeremy's private yacht) they sell advertising. Sometimes they work with sponsors to put on special events or hide special caches. For example the Project A.P.E. caches were originally placed to promote a movie. The guidelines basically serve to prevent someone from using the cache page to get free advertising to promote a business or a cause, because this would eat into Groundspeak's ability to use cache pages and other parts of the Geocaching.com website to sell advertising. Why should a sponsor pay if they can just create an a account and hide a cache that promotes their business? In this age of the Internet, viral marketing schemes often take advantage of user provided content on another websites. Different companies will have different terms of use to control what kinds of ads can be posted. When it comes to cache pages, commercial content must be pre-approved by Groundspeak. The volunteer reviewers are told not to publish any cache with commercial or perceived commercial content. If you do have a company that wants to use a cache page to solicit you must do this through Groundspeak. They have final say over what advertising they will accept or not.

Second, as has been pointed out, the rules for trackable items are slightly different than for geocaches. Since trackable pages do not go through a review process you can essentially say whatever you like on the trackable page, limited by what you agreed to when you signed up for an account (TOU).

Edited by tozainamboku

Actually, I think it's great that large corporations subsidize the sport. Keeps the cost of those Premium Memberships affordable :D

If Burger King and Best Buy were to buy similar promotions on the website, I'd be all for it. More money to Groundspeak means faster development of the features we want. Sounds like a win-win to me.

Giving away free advertisement? Why?

Actually, I think it's great that large corporations subsidize the sport. Keeps the cost of those Premium Memberships affordable :D

If Burger King and Best Buy were to buy similar promotions on the website, I'd be all for it. More money to Groundspeak means faster development of the features we want. Sounds like a win-win to me.

I'm all for it. The more the better.

It works, too. NASCAR, for example, has enjoyed huge success under the heavy-sponsorship model.

Read the following as fast as you can, in an excited southern drawl:

"Well, we knew we had a top five cache all day and my crew chief kept makin’ all the right maintenance visit adjustments, but then on that thar final pit stop we thought we wuz skunked – a round o’ wedge, a new baggie with a dry log, four new tars and some re-averaged coordinates put us out almost a lap down, and then when that lame LPC hit the wall and spun down low outta turn four an’ took out them two lap-down virts right in front of us I jus’ knew we wuz lookin’ at a DNF fer sure. But the Aflac-Garmin-STP-Jeep-Home-Depot-REI-Texaco-Duracell-Goodyear-Lock&Lock-DeWalt-Tools-Groundspeak-Budweiser-Chevrolet done put us in victory lane uh-GIN! WOOOOOOOOO!!!!!"

2004331792.jpg

Giving away free advertisement? Why?

Yeah!!...like Waymarking and Wherigo!!! :D

Read the following as fast as you can, in an excited southern drawl:

"Well, we knew we had a top five cache all day and my crew chief kept makin’ all the right maintenance visit adjustments, but then on that thar final pit stop we thought we wuz skunked – a round o’ wedge, a new baggie with a dry log, four new tars and some re-averaged coordinates put us out almost a lap down, and then when that lame LPC hit the wall and spun down low outta turn four an’ took out them two lap-down virts right in front of us I jus’ knew we wuz lookin’ at a DNF fer sure. But the Aflac-Garmin-STP-Jeep-Home-Depot-REI-Texaco-Duracell-Goodyear-Lock&Lock-DeWalt-Tools-Groundspeak-Budweiser-Chevrolet done put us in victory lane uh-GIN! WOOOOOOOOO!!!!!"

Too funny - I have got to cut and paste this log into my next find!