When do you log a DNF after failing to find a cache?

hoyshnin

The first rule I play by is...THERE ARE NO CHISELED IN STONE RULES!! I have logged DNFs, stating that I would erase it at a later date when I find it (and did it). I have not logged DNFs, stating later in the Found It log that it took me multiple attempts to find the cache. I have logged DNFs when I know that I will not be in the area again anytime soon. I have seen signatures on the paper log and no virtual log of their visit at all. Bottom line is this...if ya wanna log DNFs because you want to let the community know that ya gave it a shot and it just didn't work out...so be it. If you do it because you think there might be a problem with the hide...do it. If you just didn't get in your hands and you don't want to make a declaration on it....guess what.. no biggie!! Your call...play the game as it fits into your life, your beliefs, your way of enjoying Geocachiing!!

The first rule I play by is...THERE ARE NO CHISELED IN STONE RULES!! I have logged DNFs, stating that I would erase it at a later date when I find it (and did it). I have not logged DNFs, stating later in the Found It log that it took me multiple attempts to find the cache. I have logged DNFs when I know that I will not be in the area again anytime soon. I have seen signatures on the paper log and no virtual log of their visit at all. Bottom line is this...if ya wanna log DNFs because you want to let the community know that ya gave it a shot and it just didn't work out...so be it. If you do it because you think there might be a problem with the hide...do it. If you just didn't get in your hands and you don't want to make a declaration on it....guess what.. no biggie!! Your call...play the game as it fits into your life, your beliefs, your way of enjoying Geocachiing!!

This, along with similar sentiments above, is probably the best advise of all.

I got into this debate a few weeks ago on the forums and still all I can say is if you try to impose too many rules on yourself then you're going to come to a point where you don't enjoy it.

The DNF function is there but it's not a requirement. Just as taking a travel bug is not a requirement, logging a find is not even a requirement. I took my mum to a cache a month ago to show her what it was all about, I told her to sign the log when she found it. Guess what! I didn't make her sign up with geocaching.com for an account and make her log the find online.

BTW I think it's nuts to log multiple DNFs on a cache where little changed in your approach or search. You wouldn't log a Find more than once, why log a DNF more than once?

BTW I think it's nuts to log multiple DNFs on a cache where little changed in your approach or search. You wouldn't log a Find more than once, why log a DNF more than once?

Mainly because, unlike only having the ability to find the cache once, I can overlook it multiple times...and have. Logging a DNF is not shameful, it's a true reflection of your attempts to find the cache. Some of the DNF logs are better than the find logs, they tell of the fun one had while not making the find, then it's just great to see a searcher who DNF'd come back and make the find.

Play it your way, but remember that the logs are really only there to tell of your fun and experiences.

Mainly because, unlike only having the ability to find the cache once, I can overlook it multiple times...and have. Logging a DNF is not shameful, it's a true reflection of your attempts to find the cache. Some of the DNF logs are better than the find logs, they tell of the fun one had while not making the find, then it's just great to see a searcher who DNF'd come back and make the find.

Play it your way, but remember that the logs are really only there to tell of your fun and experiences.

I don't think anybody has described a DNF as shameful.... but I agree that some DNF logs are fun to read. However, I've been back to caches that have been moved slightly from the original location and I've had to 'find' them again - don't you think it's therefore possible to log multiple Finds, since it is equally possible to log multiple DNFS on caches you didn't 'find' again?

I don't think anybody has described a DNF as shameful.... but I agree that some DNF logs are fun to read. However, I've been back to caches that have been moved slightly from the original location and I've had to 'find' them again - don't you think it's therefore possible to log multiple Finds, since it is equally possible to log multiple DNFS on caches you didn't 'find' again?

Why were you even back to hunt them again?

I have had to find my own caches after they've been moved, would I be logging finds on them? My thought is no...but again, you play as you want.

Ever heard of a bug-drop? I'm not going on the hunt again, I'm returning to a cache which is not as I left it.

Sometimes caches do move if finders don't place them back, sometimes the container may change- and it's the container which is intrinsic to the actual hide, and sometimes a CO may rehide the cache at a nearby location due to damage/interference. Technically, if you go back to this cache you will need to 'find' it again. Therefore, it's a Find right?

I'm just testing the logic, but, as you say, play the game how you want - it's more fun than arguing over rules in an only forum. :(

Ever heard of a bug-drop? I'm not going on the hunt again, I'm returning to a cache which is not as I left it.

Sometimes caches do move if finders don't place them back, sometimes the container may change- and it's the container which is intrinsic to the actual hide, and sometimes a CO may rehide the cache at a nearby location due to damage/interference. Technically, if you go back to this cache you will need to 'find' it again. Therefore, it's a Find right?

I'm just testing the logic, but, as you say, play the game how you want - it's more fun than arguing over rules in an only forum. :P

All sarcasm aside, yes, I have made many a bug drop. I tell you what, it's up to you how to log the bug drop...you and the owner. Come to my cache to drop bugs after already finding the cache and your best course of action is to make a note since any new "finds" will be deleted. :P:D

No, finding the cache only happens once. If the owner makes changes and then gives the cache a new GC, then yes, a new find has been made. And again, play the game any way YOU wish, keeping in mind the cache owner plays as well and usually can trump your play when deemed necessary. :huh:

I log a DNF if I gave a cache a hunt and didn't find it. Keeps things simple.

It's pretty obvious many people do not log many DNFs however. For example, just this morning a cache near me was disabled as muggled. It had been logged as found at least a handful of times per month for over a year, but since late August there is just one DNF logged on it. I'd guess there were a minimum of 3 other cachers (and more likely 6 or 7) who looked for this one and didn't log it. In this case the CO is attentive enough that he actually gave it a check despite just one DNF log over the past month.

My answer to the original question is "it depends."

Let's say my first attempt at a cache is based on minimal information. Like I wasn't planning to go caching but had some time to kill, and the only info I have is a waypoint in my GPSr. And when I get there the terrain is a bit rougher than I was expecting, and I'm wearing a business suit. So I spend a couple of minutes, realize my shoes are getting muddy, and decide to come back later.

Yes, I've really done that. And no, I'm not logging a DNF at that point.

On the other hand, let's say I'm out for an afternoon's caching. I have my laptop along so I have full access to all the info in GSAK. I spend 30 minutes poking in the briars before I give up. I'm logging that one. Even if it turns out that due to a technical error I was searching on the wrong side of the highway.

I guess my general answer to "Do I log a DNF?" is "It depends on how hard I looked."

We simply log a DNF after not finding it. If we looked for a looong time, or just a short time because of whatever. We were there and didn't find it. Have even logged DNF upon returning and still not finding it.

(CO emailed us corrected coords that evening as they had been recorded wrong. Went out next day and "smiley-ed", but the previous DNF logs still stand).

EDIT: spelling.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

I log it as soon as we get home as know a lot of people dont even bother, like they feel like a failure or something!!

I always go back and find it eventually. If people log properly then it helps fellow cachers realise that it is there but it may take a bit longer to find.

There isnt anything wrong with not finding every single one, they arent all suppose to be easy and sometimes they are are right in front of you but for some reason on that day you just cant see it lol.

The only grey area I see is the point at which you determine when you began the hunt. For me it is the minute I plug in the cache coords and hit Go To on my GPS.

And when you pop a flat tire 1/2 a mile from home, do you add that to the notes for your DNF log???

I had a grand plan to catch a series of 8 caches one day this last spring. As I was driving towards the area, I spotted a family looking at an EOTR cache that I'd bagged some months before. Stopped to give them a hand, and wound up with a sprained ankle for my efforts. I had them all loaded up and was already navigating towards the first one when this all happened. I suppose I should have DNFd all 8 that I'd planned to visit that day? The family was nice enough to load me up with a couple of Tylenol gel caps and pour me into my car for the ride home. No caching that day (or for the next week, for that matter). I didn't DNF anything. What would be the point?

As you can see, your hard and fast rule can't ALWAYS be so hard and fast and still make any sense.

"Go", as you say, is a very relative thing based upon the circumstances of the moment.

The only grey area I see is the point at which you determine when you began the hunt. For me it is the minute I plug in the cache coords and hit Go To on my GPS.

And when you pop a flat tire 1/2 a mile from home, do you add that to the notes for your DNF log???

I had a grand plan to catch a series of 8 caches one day this last spring. As I was driving towards the area, I spotted a family looking at an EOTR cache that I'd bagged some months before. Stopped to give them a hand, and wound up with a sprained ankle for my efforts. I had them all loaded up and was already navigating towards the first one when this all happened. I suppose I should have DNFd all 8 that I'd planned to visit that day? The family was nice enough to load me up with a couple of Tylenol gel caps and pour me into my car for the ride home. No caching that day (or for the next week, for that matter). I didn't DNF anything. What would be the point?

As you can see, your hard and fast rule can't ALWAYS be so hard and fast and still make any sense.

"Go", as you say, is a very relative thing based upon the circumstances of the moment.

I have never posted to the forum before. I hope I do it correctly. I know I am not doing in promptly. I found this thread when I was searching for another topic. I do not know why it came up in my search.

I think that people hit "Go To" in different stages of the search. I use my NUVI for on road navigation. I may hit GO TO 20 or 30 miles away from the cache location. I think of the real "search" phase as starting when I am close enough to GZ to start looking with my eyes for the cache (or feeling for it.)

I used to be of the mindset that I wouldn't log any DNFs because I thought it made me look "weak" or less of a cacher. Now that I'm a cache owner I look at things differently. I like when people log DNFs (I like when they log finds even more of course) because it lets me know if I need to check on the cache.

I'll log a DNF on a cache if I feel that I've given it a good try and really looked everywhere I can think of and spent quite a bit of time on it. Sometimes that means looking one day for an hour or more, sometimes it means multiple trips without finding it. I'll then add the cache to my watch list and then go back when it's confirmed to exist or when I see someone else has found it. By that point I usually have learned enough, or let my head clear that I can look at things in a new way and so far it's worked well for me.

There are many ways to look at this problem.

Some will say you do not log the DNF until you are certain the cache is not there.

Others will say you log the DNF when you do not plan to return.

I say log the DNF if you leave the area without signing the log.

Even if you come back later the same day, your first visit was a DNF.

i disagree your first visit was NOT a DNF

because you actually did find it

you corrected the log afterward though