August statistics

holograph

Thanks for the maps! It's always great to be able to track our progress for the past month.

We're finally seeing light at the end of the tunnel when it comes to filling in the 100 counties in North Carolina. This month, I launched a two-day expedition to the western part of the state, where I added Mitchell, Yancey, Buncombe, McDowell, and Burke. And someone visited Gaston County. That puts us at a little over 80 percent.

I've resisted the temptation to just drive to each of the remaining counties and log one benchmark. To make the statistics meaningful, I'm doing doing several in each county, and I try to pick some which are interesting or significant. In Yancey, it was an inventory of the marks on Mount Mitchell. In Mitchell County, I wrote an expanded description of Roan High Bluff, set in the late 1800's, and I was able to find a missing 1930 magnetic station in Bakersille. (The original report referenced the wrong cemetery.) The highlight in Burke County was a meridian station (circa 1900), where I was able to add the South Meridian to the data sheet for the North Meridian.

Keep up the great work on the maps, Holograph! They really help with the record-keeping, especially when trying to fill in a state completely!

-Paul-

Edited by PFF

A much overdue thanks from VagabondsWV. I too look forward each month to the maps & statistics and appreciate the time involved to track “our work”. A couple of months ago I made a day trip to the southern part of the state to pick up 2 counties that put little old WV in the coloring book at 100% with all 55 having at least one recovery. That same month Kanawha was the first county to go red. That to me was 2 great milestones. This month saw the 2nd county (Lincoln) turn red which I was anxious to see.

Keep up the good work & again many thanks from an appreciative (spoiled) benchmark hunter.

Thanks again for your great work in putting all this information together!

Once again, thank you for your hard work. It's gratifying to see the colors changing and the individual statistics climbing!

EDIT: If anyone read the lengthy post about updates, disregard. Apparently it was my browser cache that I was viewing. I need to check--I thought I had this set not to cache. Grr.

Edited by andylphoto

Thanks holograph, it's always fun to see the benchmarking route on the map.

Paul, that was a "shortcut" to Branson & it was 103 one of the days going across. Last month m&h and I managed to change from white to a color 9 counties in southwest Colorado. Wasn't paying attention or I would have swung through that one lonley county down by the SW corner. Only 2 white ones left in Colorado.

I was just perusing the maps again, and realized I had recoveries last month in nine different Michigan counties. That's my highest count ever for one month, I am sure, and I wasn't even trying. If I had been I'd have sure made a recovery in the county I actually LIVE in! There's one I just haven't visited less than 3 miles from my home.

I bagged marks in three counties while on vacation for a few days, then made a trip for work and got two more. One of those was just a drive by where I spotted a witness post on the way home--it just happened to be in another county. Two more counties while picking up my wife and daughter from a camp, and then finally two more, including one new one, while on a trip downstate to pick up horses for my sister in law.

I just find it impossible to go on a trip without planning a few benchmarks along the way. Any one of those four trips, and it would have been a fairly "normal" month. I'm going to have to print that map for the record books--only ten Michigan counties had recoveries this month. Does this mean I'm addicted?